Michael Beinhorn began his music career in New York City in the late 1970s . While he was still in high school, he bought a synthesizer with the aim of playing in a band. Together with drummer Fred Maher , sound engineer Martin Bisi and bassist Bill Laswell , he founded the Zu Band in 1978 at the age of 17, which was renamed Material a year later . The band's style was a fusion of jazz , funk , punk, hip-hop and world music . In 1979 the debut EP Temporary Music was released ; 1981, after the departure of Bisis, the debut album of the same name. With no college education or formal training, Beinhorn began working as a graphic designer in the early 80s alongside his work as a musician.
After Laswell and Beinhorn produced an album together for Nona Hendryx and Patti LaBelle , Laswell was hired in 1983 to produce Herbie Hancock's fifth studio album Future Shock . Beinhorn worked as a co-producer on this production, together they wrote the dance hit Rockit, among other pieces . Rockit was one of the first commercially successful songs to include elements from hip hop such as scratching .
In 1985, Beinhorn separated from Laswell and material and began to work as an independent music producer . So he produced u. a. The Parachute Club , the Red Hot Chili Peppers , Soul Asylum , Ozzy Osbourne and Soundgarden . In 2004 he was nominated for a Grammy for his work on the album Natural Selection by the band Fuel . In the course of his work, he also developed the ultra analog recording format , which emphasizes particularly low sound frequencies.
- 1981: Material - Memory Serves
- 1983: Herbie Hancock - Future Shock
- 1987: Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Uplift Mofo Party Plan
- 1989: Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk
- 1992: Soul Asylum - Grave Dancers Union
- 1994: Soundgarden - Superunknown
- 1994: Aerosmith - Blind Man and Walk on Water (on the best-of album Big Ones )
- 1995: Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzmosis
- 1996: Social Distortion - White Light, White Heat, White Trash
- 1998: Hole - Celebrity Skin
- 1998: Marilyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
- 2002: Korn - Untouchables
- 2005: Mew - And the Glass Handed Kites
- 2006: Black Label Society : Shot to Hell
- 2006: The Bronx - The Bronx
- 2010: Hole - Nobody's Daughter
- Archived copy ( Memento of the original from September 22, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Beinhorn, Michael James (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American musician and record producer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||20th century|