A city forest is a forest that is owned by a city. In Germany, it is usually a corporate forest according to Section 3 of the Federal Forest Act . For the recreation of city dwellers, city forests usually have a higher density of leisure facilities such as playgrounds, restaurants, riding and hiking trails.
German city forests
The best-known urban forests in Germany include the Tiergarten (210 ha ) in Berlin as well as the Grunewald (approx. 3,000 hectares) and Köpenick Forest (approx. 6,500 hectares), the Frankfurt City Forest (3,866 hectares), which are part of the 28,500 hectares of Berlin's urban forest. , the Dresdner Heide (6,133 ha) and the Rostocker Heide (6,004 ha), which are even among the largest in the world. The Duisburg city forest together with the Broich-Speldorfer forest in Mülheim an der Ruhr , the Duisburg Sports Park and the Duisburg Huckinger Mark a contiguous forest area of about 3,000 hectares. The Leipziger Auenwald one of the largest preserved swamp forest holdings in Central Europe.
Urban forests in Europe (selection)
Large urban forests in Germany
- Berlin urban forest (28,500 ha) with Grunewald , Köpenicker forest and other forest areas in and around Berlin
- Brilon City Forest (7,750 ha)
- Baden-Baden , city forest (approx.7,500 ha)
- Augsburg city forest (7,000 ha)
- Dresdner Heide (6,133 ha)
- Rostock Heath (6,000 ha)
- Villingen-Schwenningen city forest (5,841 ha; total 8,114.5 ha)
- Wiesbaden city forest (5,600 ha)
- Freiburg city forest (5,200 ha)
- Stadtforst Fürstenwalde (4,677 hectares of forest with 90% coniferous forest and 10% deciduous forest)
- City forest Lübeck (4,600 ha), part of which is the Lauerholz (960 ha)
- Boppard City Forest (4,360 ha)
- Frankfurt City Forest (3,866 hectares of urban forest. A total of 5,785 hectares)
- Mühlhäuser Stadtwald (3,093 ha)
- Weißenburger Stadtwald (2,806 ha)
- Koblenz City Forest (2,772 ha)
- Bielefeld city forest (2,256 ha)
- Offenbach am Main city forest (1,330 ha)
- Stadtforst Salzwedel (1,400 ha)
- Leipzig floodplain forest (1,163 ha urban forest. A total of approx. 2,500 ha)
- Steigerwald in Erfurt (800 ha)
- Eilenriede in Hanover (650 ha)
- Duisburg city forest (600 ha)
- Fürth city forest (560 ha)
- Eschweiler city forest (350 ha)
- Cologne City Forest (205.3 ha)
- Marienhölzung in Flensburg (200 ha)
- City forest (Bad Salzuflen) (142.7 ha)
- Krefeld city forest (120 ha)
- Seelhorst in Hanover (100 ha)
- Zirndorfer Stadtwald (82 ha)
- Vienna Woods (105,645 ha, of which 8,650 ha in Vienna )
- Lainzer Tiergarten (2,450 ha) in Vienna
- Lobau (2,300 ha) in Vienna
- Vienna Prater (600 ha)
- Leechwald in Graz
Urban forests in the USA
- Landesarchivdirektion Baden-Württemberg, City of Baden-Baden (ed.): The city district of Baden-Baden. (District descriptions of the state of Baden-Württemberg.) Thorbecke, Sigmaringen 1995, ISBN 3-7995-1356-6 , p. 336.
- Archived copy ( memento of the original from March 8, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- forest facts - city of Freiburg im Breisgau. In: freiburg.de. Retrieved August 30, 2016 .
- Structure: area size . Fürstenwalde city forest. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- Stadtwald Frankfurt, accessed on Feb. 24, 2020
- Information from the City of Bielefeld. Retrieved March 30, 2014 .