The Stratford Town Hall
|Motto : Industria et Ars ("Industry and Art")|
|Location in Ontario|
|County :||Perth County|
|Area :||26.95 km²|
|Residents :||30,886 (as of 2011)|
|Population density :||1,146 inhabitants / km²|
|Time zone :||Eastern Time ( UTC − 5 )|
|Postal code :||N4Z, N5A|
|Mayor :||Dan Mathieson|
Stratford [ ˌstɹætfəɹd ] is a city in the southwest of the Canadian province of Ontario on the Avon River . The river and city were named after Stratford-upon-Avon in England and the River Avon there. In 2011 Stratford had 30,886 residents.
Stratford has several theaters, the most famous of which is the Stratford Festival Theater , which plays Shakespeare . Many tourists come to Stratford to see such a performance. Some famous actors have performed in Stratford; It is often said that if you haven't even performed in Stratford, you're not a true North American actor.
Since Stratford is not far from Detroit , many companies from the automotive supply industry have settled here , including FAG Kugelfischer (FAG Bearings Ltd), a German ball bearing manufacturer from Schweinfurt .
Once a year there is the Ontario Pork Congress on the Stratford fairgrounds , where pigs from all over Ontario are auctioned. There is also the weekly farmers' market on the same fairground, where farmers from the region sell their vegetables and fruit. In general, Stratford is surrounded by arable land , mainly corn , but also soybeans and barley .
Stratford has an ice hockey team called the Cullitons ( Cullies for short ) that play in the Junior B Inter-Ontario League. The stadium is on the river near the festival theater and has seating for around 2500 spectators. There are also several indoor ice hockey arenas for the public in Stratford.
Stratford has a baseball team called the Stratford Storm , formerly called the Hillers . There is a semi-covered stadium, Hiller Stadium, for around 500 spectators.
There are also several indoor and outdoor basketball facilities in different places around town.
Stratford has three schools for grades 9 through 12 (Secondary Schools). There are Stratford Central Secondary School , Stratford Northwestern Secondary School as public schools, and Stratford St. Michael Secondary School as private Catholic schools. Each of these schools has around 700 students.
Public transport and infrastructure
You can get to Stratford by car, bus or train ( VIA Rail Canada ). Within Stratford you can take the bus from the city center (town hall) to almost any place in the city.
- Justin Bieber (* 1994), pop singer, grew up in Stratford
- Douglas Coleman (1931-2014), biochemist
- Barbara Collier (* 1940), singer
- Craig Hartsburg (born 1959), ice hockey player
- Verda James (1901–1991), US politician
- Glenn Kruspe (1909–1983), organist, conductor and music teacher
- Richard Manuel (1943–1986), rock musician, member of The Band
- Mike Martin (* 1976), ice hockey player
- Jared McCann (born 1996), ice hockey player
- Loreena McKennitt (* 1957), musician and composer, lives in Stratford
- Jacob Middleton (born 1996), ice hockey player
- Allan Stratton (* 1951), actor and writer
- Campbell Trowsdale (* 1933), music teacher and violinist