The son of the classical philologist Uvo Hölscher and the Germanist Dorothea Hölscher-Lohmeyer graduated from high school in Steglitz in Berlin in 1959 . From 1959 to 1965 he studied Classical Archeology, Ancient History and Classical Philology at the Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg , the University La Sapienza in Rome and the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg . His doctorate on the image of Victoria , the goddess of victory, took place in 1965 under Roland Hampe , where he worked as an assistant at the Archaeological Institute until 1966 . Having 1966/1967 the travel grant of the German Archaeological Institute had received Hölscher assistant at was University of Würzburg in Erika Simon . There he completed his habilitation in 1972 with a thesis on the Greek history paintings of the classical period. He then worked as a senior assistant and private lecturer . In 1975 he became a full professor of classical archeology at Heidelberg University. In 2009 he retired, but he also represented his chair in the 2009/2010 winter semester. After the vacant chair was represented by Caterina Maderna from 2010 to 2015 , Nikolaus Dietrich succeeded Hölscher in 2015 .
Tonio Hölscher is a member of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences , the Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europaea in Salzburg, the Academia Europaea in London, the Accademia di Archeologia, Lettere e Belle Arti in Naples, the Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei in Rome, the German Archaeological Institute and of the Austrian Archaeological Institute in Vienna. His research on the political and social function of ancient sculptures is well known, for which he was awarded the Lautenschläger Research Prize of Heidelberg University in 2005. Tonio Hölscher was a member of the scientific advisory board of the popular scientific journal Adventure Archeology . He is married to the classical archaeologist Fernande Hölscher .
- Victoria Romana. Archaeological studies on the history and nature of the Roman goddess of victory from the beginnings to the end of the 3rd century. AD von Zabern, Mainz am Rhein 1967, (at the same time: Mainz, university, dissertation, 1965).
- Ideal and reality in the portraits of Alexander the Great (= treatises of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences. Philosophical-Historical Class. Born 1971, Dep. 2). Winter, Heidelberg 1971, ISBN 3-533-02133-5 .
- Greek history pictures of the 5th and 4th centuries BC Chr. Konrad Triltsch, Würzburg 1973.
- State monument and audience. From the fall of the republic to the consolidation of the empire in Rome (= Xenia . Vol. 9). Universitätsverlag, Konstanz 1984, ISBN 3-87940-233-7 .
- Roman visual language as a semantic system (= treatises of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences. Philosophical-Historical Class. Born 1987, Abh. 2). Winter, Heidelberg 1987, ISBN 3-533-03925-0 (In Italian: Il linguaggio dell'arte romana. Un sistema semantico (= Piccola Biblioteca Einaudi. Vol. 592). Traduzione di Francesco de Angelis. Einaudi, Turin 1993, ISBN 88-06-13294-6 ; in English: The language of images in Roman art. Translated by Anthony Snodgrass and Anne-Marie Künzl-Snodgrass, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge et al. 2004, ISBN 0-521-66200-1 ; in Polish: Sztuka rzymska. Język obrazowy jako system semantyczny. Tłumaczenie, opracowanie i wstęp Lechosław Olszewski. Wydawnictwo Poznańskie, Poznań 2011, ISBN 978-83-7177-801-8 ).
- as ed. with Rolf Lauter : Forms of Art and Forms of Life: aesthetic considerations as a dialogue from antiquity to the present and back again . Cantz, Ostfildern-Ruit 1995, ISBN 3-89322-718-0 .
- Public spaces in early Greek cities. (= Writings Heidelberg Academy of Sciences, Philosophical-Historical Class. Vol. 7). Winter, Heidelberg 1998, 2nd edition 1999.
- as Ed .: Classical Archeology. Basic knowledge. Theiss et al., Stuttgart et al. 2002, 4th edition 2015, ISBN 978-3-8053-4876-8 .
- Greek art. Beck, Munich 2007, 2nd edition 2015, ISBN 978-3-406-90250-5 (In Italian: Il mondo dell'arte romana. Einaudi, Torino 2007, 2nd edition 2017; in Chinese: Gu xila yishu. Shijie chuban gongsi, Bejing 2014, translation by Liang Chen.)
- as ed. with Ortwin Dally , Susanne Muth , Rolf-Michael Schneider: Media of History - Ancient Greece and Rome. De Gruyter, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-033625-2 .
- Inaugural address by Tonio Hölscher at the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences on February 6, 1982. In: Yearbook of the Heidelberg Academy of Sciences for the year 1982. Heidelberg 1983, pp. 29–33.
- Dagmar Drüll: Heidelberger Gelehrtenlexikon 1933–1986. Springer, Berlin / Heidelberg 2009, ISBN 978-3-540-88834-5 , p. 280 f.
- Literature by and about Tonio Hölscher in the catalog of the German National Library
- Tonio Hölscher on the Heidelberg University website
- Tonio Hölscher on the website of the University of Munich
- Prof. Dr. Tonio Hölscher - CV. Heidelberg University, Institute for Classical Archeology, accessed on October 22, 2017 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical archaeologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 2, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Königsfeld in the Black Forest|