Tufan Erhürman (* 1970 in Lefkoşa , Nicosia , Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus ) is a Turkish Cypriot academic, lawyer, diplomat and Prime Minister of Northern Cyprus from 2018 to 2019 . A public law scholar by profession, he was involved in the negotiations to settle the Cyprus conflict between 2008 and 2010. Before that, he worked in the Ministry of Justice of Turkey from 1999 to 2004 and worked for the establishment of the position of the Ombudsman in Turkey. He is the current leader of the Turkish Republican Party .
Erhürman completed his secondary education in Türk Maarif Koleji . He was then enrolled in 1988 to study law at Ankara University . He also received his master's degree and doctorate from Ankara University. His 2001 PhD thesis dealt with the non-legal inspection of the agency and the ombdusman .
Erhürman taught from 1995 to 2001 Public Law at Ankara University , the Technical University of the Middle East and the Hacettepe University . He then worked at the Eastern Mediterranean University from 2001 to 2006 and from 2008 to 2013 . Between 2006 and 2008 Erhürman also taught at the University of the Middle East .
He ran for a seat in Nicosia in the Assembly of the Republic of Northern Cyprus in the 2013 elections and became a member of Parliament as a candidate for the Republican-Turkish Party . He worked intensively on a constitutional amendment in which 23 amendments were passed by all 4 parties that were represented in parliament at the time. However, 62.3% of voters rejected the new constitution in the 2014 referendum. He became General Secretary of the Turkish Republican Party-United Armed Forces.
On November 13, 2016, Erhürman became the leader of the Turkish Republican Party and thus the main opposition.
He was re-elected as a Member of Parliament in the 2018 general election but was unable to prevent his party from losing 9 seats. On January 19, 2018, negotiations began to form a coalition of 4 parties, the Turkish Republican Party , the People's Party , the Democratic Party and the Local Democratic Party , which finally enabled the formation of the Erhürman cabinet .
On May 8, 2019, he announced his resignation. Two weeks later, on May 22, 2019, Ersin Tatar was appointed his successor.
- Turkish Cypriot President Akıncı approves TRNC's new 4-party coalition. Retrieved April 5, 2019 .
- Genel Başkan | Tufan Erhürman. Accessed April 5, 2019 .
- Hakkımda. In: Tufan Erhürman. Retrieved April 5, 2019 (tr-TR).
- İŞTE YENİ VEKİLLER. July 29, 2013, Retrieved April 5, 2019 (Turkish).
- Erhürman Anayasa'da yapılan değişiklikleri anlattı. June 12, 2014, Retrieved April 5, 2019 (Turkish).
- CTP-BG'nin yeni Genel Secretary Tufan Erhürman. June 17, 2015, accessed April 5, 2019 (Turkish).
- CTP Kurultayı'nda tek aday Erhürman genel başkan ilan edildi. In: BRTK. November 13, 2016, accessed April 5, 2019 (tr-TR).
- "İyi niyetle" başladılar. January 19, 2018, accessed April 5, 2019 (Turkish).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Turkish Cypriot academic, lawyer, diplomat and Prime Minister of Northern Cyprus|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1970|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Lefkoşa|