Ulrich II. (Württemberg)
Ulrich was born as the first son of Ulrich I and Mechthild von Baden († presumably 1258). When his father and stepmother Agnes von Schlesien-Liegnitz died early in the spring of 1265, Ulrich was only about eleven years old and may therefore have been under the tutelage of Count Hartmann II von Grüningen , a cousin or brother of his father, for the time being. Ulrich appears independently in documents from 1269 when he attested a document from the Counts of Grüningen and von Löwenstein . In contrast to his guardian († 1274) and his son Hartmann III. von Grüningen , he did not go on a course of confrontation against King Rudolf von Habsburg's policy of revocation . In November 1277 he first documented together with his twelve-year-old half-brother and successor Eberhard I, "the illustrious" .
Ulrich had no offspring. It is not known whether he was married. Ulrich's body was buried in 1279, like his parents, in the first burial place of the Württemberg house in the Beutelsbach collegiate church. After they were destroyed, Eberhard I had the remains transferred to the collegiate church in Stuttgart around 1320 .
- Dieter Mertens : Ulrich II. In: Sönke Lorenz, Dieter Mertens, Volker Press (Hrsg.): The house of Württemberg. A biographical lexicon. Kohlhammer, Stuttgart 1997, ISBN 3-17-013605-4 , p. 23f.
- Gerhard Raff : Hie good Wirtemberg all the way. Volume 1: The House of Württemberg from Count Ulrich the Founder to Duke Ludwig. 6th edition. Landhege, Schwaigern 2014, ISBN 978-3-943066-34-0 , pp. 49-59.
- Source of 1269: Württ. Urkundenbuch (WUB), Volume VII, No. 2064, pp. 23–26, WUB online .
- See Ludwig Friedrich Heyd : History of the Counts of Gröningen , Löflund, Stuttgart 1829, and history of the former Oberamts-Stadt Markgröningen with special consideration for the general history of Württemberg, mostly based on unpublished sources , Löflund, Stuttgart 1829.
- Source: WUB, Volume VIII, No. 2724, pp. 61-62, WUB online .
Count of Württemberg
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Count Ulrich II of Württemberg|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Count of Württemberg (1265–1279)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1254|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 18, 1279|