|Province (län):||Hallands Lan|
|Historical Province (landskap):||Halland|
|SCB code :||4156|
|Residents :||34,248 (December 31, 2015)|
|Area :||23.38 km²|
|Population density :||1465 inhabitants / km²|
|List of perpetrators in Halland County|
There are several theories about the origin of the name Varberg. Varberg ("Wehrberg") is said to have originated in the 14th century as a tribute to the city fortifications. Reference is also made to vaktberg and vårdkaseberg , which means “signal fire on the damp mountain”. Originally the settlement was called Getakär and was first mentioned as such in 1343.
More than 34,000 inhabitants live in the city of Varberg (as of 2015). The place is not overly influenced by tourism, although the attractive location of the city with beautiful sandy beaches and numerous sights, such as B. the fortress and the medicinal spring Svartekällan, attract many tourists every year.
The Varbergs Fästning is in Varberg . The fortress was built in the 13th century. From the middle of the 17th century the fortress served as a prison. In 1931 the last prisoner was released. The core is a castle built in the 13th century. Today the Hallands Kulturhistoriska Museum is located in the castle with a bog body from the 14th century ( Bockstensmann ).
The burial ground on the Högaberg is 10 km east of the city .
There is a deposit of charnockite near Varberg . This deposit had been in mining since the 19th century. Because of its attractive appearance, the dark green rock was used in tomb construction.
- Otto Martin Torell (1828–1900), geologist, zoologist, glaciologist and polar researcher
- Bernhard Hay (1835–1917), industrialist, works manager of the match factory in Jönköping, is different
- Anders Larsson (1892-1945), wrestler
- Vera Schmiterlöw (1904–1987), actress
- Ann-Christin Hellman (* 1955), table tennis player
- Ulrik Svensson (* 1961), manager, former CFO of Deutsche Lufthansa AG
- Sven Nylander (* 1962), track and field athlete and Olympic participant
- Erika Holst (* 1979), ice hockey player
- Albin Lagergren (* 1992), handball player
- Niclas Eliasson (* 1995), football player
- Sevärt i Halland . Hallands Länsmuseer och Förlag Utsikten, ISBN 91-88806-10-3 .
- Statistiska centralbyrån : Land area per Tatort, folkmängd and invånare per square kilometer. Vart femte år 1960 - 2015 (database query)
- Herman Hedström: Om Sveriges naturliga byggnads- och ornamentstenar . Stockholm (PA Norstedt & Sönner) 1908, p. 14
- Official website (Swedish, German, English)