Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach (born December 28, 1941 in Witzenhausen ) is a German musician and conductor . From 1974 to 1989 he was chief conductor and general music director of the Göttingen Symphony Orchestra .
Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach was born the son of a cantor . At the age of 6 he received his first violin and piano lessons . After graduating from high school , he began to study music and mathematics . He gained his first orchestral experience with a student orchestra he founded in Göttingen . Intensive studies with Rudolf Kempe and Wolfgang Sawallisch followed. At the end of the 1960s he led the orchestra of the StMV Blue Singer Göttingen . In 1965 the Staatstheater Kassel engaged him as a repetitor .
Schmidt-Gertenbach had a decisive influence on the Göttingen Symphony Orchestra for 21 years . First as deputy chief conductor from 1968 to 1974 , then from 1974 to 1989 as chief conductor and general music director (GMD).
He has made music on a regular basis with artists such as Wilhelm Kempff , Claudio Arrau , Alfred Brendel , Martha Argerich , Géza Anda , Mstislaw Leopoldowitsch Rostropowitsch , Heinrich Schiff and Frank Peter Zimmermann .
From 1981 to 1984 Schmidt-Gertenbach was also the permanent conductor of the Radio Symphony Orchestra in Stavanger (Norway).
He has performed in Vienna, Berlin, Rome, Chicago and Washington as well as at the Schleswig-Holstein Music Festival , the Eastern Music Festival (USA), the Menton Summer Festival in France, the Rheingau Music Festival , the Walkenried cloister concerts and at the Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania Festival .
Schmidt-Gertenbach has been a guest conductor in France, Great Britain, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, the Netherlands, Belgium, Hungary, Romania, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Russia, Egypt, Israel, Korea, Japan, South Africa , Mexico and the USA.
In 1998, 2001 and 2002 Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach was the conductor of the German-Polish Choir Academy “in terra pax”.
- Henry Litolff : Concert Symphonies, Kl Orch op. 45 Concerto symphonique No. 3 in E flat major "National hollandais" (Fono-Schallplattengesellschaft, 1979)
- Franz Liszt : Dance of Death (Fono-Schallplattengesellschaft, 1980)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart : Symphony in D major KV 84 (Aperto records, 1983)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony in A major KV 201 (Aperto records, 1984)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony in D major KV 385 (Aperto records, 1985)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony in A major KV 201 (Aperto records, 1985)
- Joseph Haydn : Cello Concertos (Aperto records, 1985)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concertos (Aperto records, 1987)
- Gustav Holst : St. Paul's suite (Aperto records, 1988)
- Music on Villa Hügel - Live (Essen / Krupp , 1991)
- Alexandra von der Weth : Concert arias by Mozart and Beethoven (Fono-Schallplattengesellschaft, 1994)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Symphony No. 41 in C major KV 551 (Aperto records, 1995)
- Robert Schumann : Symphony No. 1 in B flat major, op.38 (Aperto records, 1995)
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy : Symphonies (Line Music, 1995)
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 44 in E minor (Aperto records, 1995)
- Franz Schubert: Symphonies nos. 5, 6 (BMG Ariola, 1997)
- Joseph Haydn: Piano concertos Hob.XVIII, 3, 4, 11 (BMG Ariola, 1997)
- Ludwig van Beethoven : Violin concerto in D major op.61 (BMG Ariola, 1998)
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: The String Symphonies (Line Music, 1998)
- World of baroque - Vol. 1 (EMI-Electrola, 1999)
- Frédéric Chopin : Piano concerto no.1 in E minor (BMG Ariola, 1999)
- Frédéric Chopin: Masterpieces (BMG Ariola, 1999)
- World of baroque - Vol. 2 (EMI-Electrola, 2000)
- Felix Mendelssohn Bartholdy: Complete Edition of the String Symphonies (Line Music, 2000)
- Frédéric Chopin: Piano Concertos No. 1 & 2 (BMG Ariola, 2003)
- Music bad Pyrmont - Promenade (Christian Feldgen, 2006)
- Sound carrier with Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach in the catalog of the German National Library
- Official website
- Frankfurt Connections - Famous (and Notorious) Corporates
- Where does… Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach actually live? - faktor-magazin.de
- AUKSO Chamber Orchestra - vsg-management.de
- Cappella Istropolitana - vsg-management.de
- Eastern Music Festival - Experience the Best.
- 66e Festival de Musique de Menton - frenchriviera-tourism.com
- Biography of Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach
- Volker Schmidt-Gertenbach - in terra pax.org
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musician and conductor as well as general music director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 28, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Witzenhausen|