Walter Vogt (writer)
Walter Vogt (born July 31, 1927 in Zurich ; † September 21, 1988 in Muri near Bern ) was a Swiss writer and psychiatrist . "He is considered one of the most important contemporary Swiss writers and has received several awards."
Walter Vogt went to Bern to school and worked after studying medicine in Bern, which he 1956 with the promotion of Doctor of Medicine graduated, first as a radiologist at the Bern Tiefenauspital . At the end of the 1960s, he trained as a psychiatrist . He then ran a specialist practice in Muri near Bern . Vogt was married and had three children. In 1978 he was the first Swiss writer in residence at the University of Southern California , Los Angeles .
Walter Vogt began to work as a writer after an illness in 1961 and published his own literary texts from the mid-1960s. With his first novel Wüthrich , a satire on the medical profession and hospital system, he achieved a scandalous success. In many of his later works, from the 1970s onwards, Vogt increasingly approached “autobiographical self-reflection ( forgetting and remembering , aging ), exploring border areas of mental experience that usually remain in the dark:“ Drug addiction , existence of the psychiatric patient in the clinic , sexual identity ( mask compulsory ), bisexuality , homosexuality and death against the background of AIDS. These themes run through his entire work, be it detective novels based on Dürrenmattsche's model, exotic travel reports or fantastic prose stories . Between 1963 and 1980 Vogt experimented regularly with the Bernese dialect .
Walter Vogt was a founding member of the Olten Group - its president from 1976 to 1980 - and belonged to the German-Swiss PEN Center . As a member, he supported the international association Doctors Against Nuclear War . In 1986 he appeared for the first time as spokesman for “AIDS-Hilfe Bern”, which he headed from 1987 until his death.
His estate is kept in the Swiss Literary Archives.
- 1972: Literature Prize of the City of Bern
- 1980 and 1985: Literature Prize of the City of Bern in the "Book Prize" category
- 1986: Grand Literature Prize of the Canton of Bern
- 1986: Citizens' Prize from the market town of Rauris
- To cough. Likely and improbable stories . Diogenes Verlag , Zurich 1965; Diogenes Taschenbuch, Zurich 1978;
- Angry. Talk to yourself by a dying doctor . Diogenes, Zurich 1966; Fischer Library, Frankfurt am Main 1970; Diogenes paperback 1978
- Melancholy. The experiences of the amateur criminalist Beno von Stürler . Diogenes, Zurich 1967; Diogenes paperback 1978
- All madhouses are yellow . Ten poems. Lukianos, Bern 1967.
- The bird on the table. The bookstore assistant Johannes Lips wants to lead a working life . Lukianos, Bern 1968.
- Schizophrenia of Art and Other Speeches . Arche, Zurich 1971.
- The Talpi are coming. A mini novel for bright children . Good writings (Volume 353), Bern 1971.
- My Sinai trip. A lay sermon . Arche, Zurich 1972
- Games of power . TV play, play. Lenos Verlag (litprint 86), Basel 1972.
- The Wiesbaden Congress . Novel. Arche, Zurich 1972; Diogenes paperback 1982
- Pilate and Faust. Two monologues . Zytglogge Verlag, Gümligen 1972.
- Plain text . Poems. Arche, Zurich 1973.
- Letters from Morocco . Arche, Zurich 1974.
- The madman and his doctor . Stories. Arche, Zurich 1974; Fischer paperback 1986
- The red animals of Tsavo . Stories. Arche, Zurich 1976; Fischer paperback 1986
- Schizogorsk . Novel. Arche, Zurich 1977; Fischer paperback 1986
- Boom end . Stories. Benziger, Zurich 1979; Diogenes paperback 1982
- Forgetting and remembering . Novel. Benziger, Zurich 1980; Fischer Paperback 1982; Benziger 1992
- Aging . Novel. Benziger, Zurich 1981; Fischer Paperback 1984; Benziger 1992
- Metamorphoses . Prose. Benziger, Zurich 1984.
- Mask compulsion . Stories. Benziger, Zurich 1985.
You are your way . Meditations. Silberschnur, Melsbach 1986, ISBN 3-923781-06-7 .
- New edition: Reclam ( Reclams Universal Library 1393), Leipzig 1991.
- The garden of the wife of the husband of Noah was called. Selected short stories 1965–1987 . Foreword by Kurt Marti . Benziger, Zurich 1987.
- Reflections. Stories . Insel ( Insel-Bücherei 1096), Frankfurt am Main / Leipzig 1991.
- hani xeit. edition spoken script. Publishing house The Healthy People Dispatch , Lucerne 2018.
A ten-volume edition was published 1991–1997 by Nagel & Kimche Verlag, Zurich:
- Vol. 1: Wüthrich. The Wiesbaden Congress , 1991.
- Vol. 2: Melancholy. Schizogorsk , 1991.
- Vol. 3: Forgetting and Remembering , 1996.
- Vol. 4: Shock and Everyday Life , 1992.
- Vol. 5: The Fort by the Sea , 1993.
- Vol. 6: The Siberian Journey and Other Stories , 1994.
- Vol. 7: The red animals of Tsavo , 1994.
- Vol. 8: Aging , 1997.
- Vol. 9: The Affected , 1993.
- Vol. 10: Writing as a disease and as therapy , 1992.
- Aimez-vous Gotthelf , Bern 1966
- Höhenluft , Theater am Neumarkt Zurich 1966
- The Queen of the Emmental , Zurich 1967
- The great dream of the Lady von Pioch-Badet , Zurich 1968
- Games of Power , Bern 1971
- Faust X , Solothurn 1972
- Typhos , Bern 1973
- Those affected , Theater am Neumarkt Zurich, 1988
- Pilatus and other masks , Wabern near Bern 1992
- The Call , Theater am Neumarkt Zurich 1993
Radio plays / radio broadcasts / TV
- Four dialogues . Radio DRS 2, 1969
- Games of power with René Deltgen and Heinrich Gretler , director: Joseph Scheidegger . Television DRS, 1970
- Inquisition . Radio DRS 2, 1972
- Christmas in the heart . Radio DRS, 1972
- Pilate before the silent Christ . Director: Max Peter Ammann . Television DRS, 1974
- Heirs . Director: Heinz Schirk . Television DRS, 1976
- The inquisition . Television game. Director: Josef Scheidegger. Television DRS, 1977
- Amos. The Prophet and his God . Speaking piece. Radio DRS 2, 1979
- Isaiah . Speaking piece. Radio DRS 2, 1981
- Those affected . Sender Free Berlin, 1991
- Brigitte Marschall: Walter Vogt . In: Andreas Kotte (Ed.): Theater Lexikon der Schweiz . Volume 3, Chronos, Zurich 2005, ISBN 3-0340-0715-9 , p. 2020.
- Reinhardt Gutsche, Schizogorsk is everywhere. Homage to Walter Vogt, the sarcastic chronicler of "Helvetian depression" and "latent schizophrenia" of the Swiss patriciate, would have turned 90 today on July 31, in: the Friday of July 31, 2017 
- Walter Vogt's estate in the HelveticArchives archive database of the Swiss National Library
- Publications by and about Walter Vogt (writer) in the Helveticat catalog of the Swiss National Library
- Franziska Meister: Walter Vogt. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Literature by and about Walter Vogt in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry in the lexicon of Swiss authors of the Bibliomedia Foundation
- Walter Vogt in Viceversa Literature .
- Walter Vogt. Retrieved May 5, 2020 .
- Andreas Mettenleiter : Personal reports, memories, diaries and letters from German-speaking doctors. Supplements and supplements III (I – Z). In: Würzburg medical history reports. Volume 22, 2003, pp. 269-305, here: p. 299.
- Reinhardt Gutsche, Schizogorsk is everywhere. Homage to Walter Vogt, sarcastic chronicler of "Helvetian depression" and "latent schizophrenia" of the Swiss patriciate, would have turned 90 today on July 31, in: the Friday of July 31, 2017 
- «zbäärn repme bäärndütsch» article on derbund.ch from April 7, 2018
- Bernd-Ulrich Hergemöller, man for man: Biographisches Lexikon. Suhrkamp 2001, p. 712f.
- Autobiographical report on a “hashish trip”, delivered in 1971 in the form of a sermon in Vaduz.
- Urs Frieden: Discovered: Walter Vogt as a dialect writer . In: Journal B . ( journal-b.ch [accessed on April 18, 2018]).
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss writer and psychiatrist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 31, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zurich|
|DATE OF DEATH||September 21, 1988|
|Place of death||Muri near Bern|