Oechslin studied art history , archeology , philosophy and mathematics at the University of Zurich and the University of Rome . He received his doctorate in Zurich in 1970 . From 1971 to 1974 he was an assistant at the University of Zurich, from 1975 to 1980 he taught at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) as well as at the Free University of Berlin . He completed his habilitation in Berlin in 1980 and in the same year was offered a professorship at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn . In 1985 he moved to the Ecole d'Architecture at the University of Geneva . From 1985 until his retirement in 2009 he was full professor for the history of art and architecture at the ETH Zurich and from 1987 to 2006 director of the Institute for the History and Theory of Architecture (gta). In 1987 he was visiting professor at Harvard University . From 1996 to 2002 he headed the selection committee of the Study Center at CCA Montréal and was also a member of the Board of Trustees. He is a member of the consiglio scientifico of the Centro Internazionale di Studi di Architettura Andrea Palladio in Vicenza . In the founding phase he was a member of the consiglio scientifico of the Accademia di Architettura in Mendrisio .
Oechslin has published numerous publications on the history of architecture and art from the 15th to the 20th century. The main research areas are architectural theory , modern architecture as well as architectural drawing, architectural typology and ephemeral architecture (fixed architecture). In 1981 he founded the bilingual (German and English) Daidalos - Berlin Architectural Journal with Ulrich Conrads , Norbert Miller , Bernhard Schneider and Anna Teut and was co-editor of the quarterly magazine from 1981 to 1998. He is the founder of the "Werner Oechslin Library Foundation" in Einsiedeln. In June 2006 the Werner Oechslin library opened in Einsiedeln with a total inventory of over 50,000 books that Oechslin had collected over many years and is now making available to the public. Oechslin is both the founder and founder of the library and has been working on the implementation of the project since the mid-1990s. He was involved in numerous exhibitions such as “Triumph of Baroque” (Turin / Washington 1999), “ Palladio ” (Vicenza 1999), “Greek Classics. Idea or Reality ”(Berlin / Bonn 2002),“ Gottfried Semper ”(Munich / Zurich 2003),“ Vincenzo Scamozzi ”(Vicenza 2003) and most recently“ Baroque master builder and modern building school from Vorarlberg ”(Bregenz 2006).
honors and awards
- 2007 Central Swiss Culture Prize for his research and teaching activities in the field of art and architecture history.
- 2011 honorary doctorate from the University of Antwerp
- 2011 Honorary Doctorate from the University of Italian Switzerland , Lugano
- 2011 honorary doctorate from the Technical University of Munich
- 2012 Carl Friedrich Gauß Medal
- Style sleeve and core. Otto Wagner, Adolf Loos and the evolutionary path to modern architecture . gta Verlag Zürich 1994. ISBN 978-3-85676-060-1 .
- (Ed.): Albert Heinrich Steiner 1905–1996. Architect - urban planner - teacher . gta Verlag Zurich 1998. ISBN 978-3-85676-078-6 .
- together with Flora Ruchat-Roncati (Ed.): Alberto Camenzind. Architect, chief architect Expo 64, teacher . gta Verlag Zurich 2001. ISBN 978-3-85676-107-3 .
- (Ed.): University City of Zurich. Buildings for the ETH 1855-2005 . gta Verlag Zurich 2005. ISBN 978-3-85676-154-7 .
- (Ed.): Peter Eisenman. The formal foundation of modern architecture . gta Verlag Zurich 2005. ISBN 978-3-85676-067-0 .
- with Sonja Hildebrand, Bruno Maurer (Eds.) Haefeli Moser Steiger. The architects of Swiss modernism . gta Verlag Zurich 2007. ISBN 978-3-85676-205-6 .
- Palladianism. Andrea Palladio - continuity of work and effect . gta Verlag Zurich 2008. ISBN 978-3-85676-239-1 .
- Werner Oechslin Library Foundation, Einsiedeln (Hrsg.): Wissensformen. Manifestations of knowledge in baroque tradition . gta Verlag Zurich 2008. ISBN 978-3-85676-231-5
- with Bruno Maurer (ed.): The infinite space of architecture. Ulrich Stucky (1925-2003). Architect, planner, researcher, mediator . gta Verlag Zurich 2009. ISBN 978-3-85676-244-5 .
- Architect and / versus builder. Seventh International Baroque Summer Course. Werner Oechslin Library Foundation, Einsiedeln (Ed.) . gta Verlag Zurich 2009. ISBN 978-3-85676-259-9 .
- with Gregor Harbusch (ed.): Sigfried Giedion and photography. Image staging of modernity . gta Verlag Zurich 2010. ISBN 978-3-85676-252-0 .
- with Bruno Maurer (Ed.): Ernst Gisel Architect. 2nd, revised, expanded and updated edition . gta Verlag Zürich 2010. ISBN 978-3-85676-254-4 .
- Werner Oechslin Library Foundation, Einsiedeln (Ed.): Eugène Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc. International Colloquium . gta Verlag Zürich 2010. ISBN 978-3-85676-114-1 and Gebrüder Mann Verlag ISBN 978-3-7861-2453-5
- with Sonja Hildebrand (Ed.) Karl Moser. Architecture for a New Era, 1880 to 1936 . gta Verlag Zurich 2010. ISBN 978-3-85676-250-6 .
- Bruno Maurer, Werner Oechslin (Ed.) In collaboration with Almut Grunewald: Ernst Gisel Architect , 2nd, revised, expanded and updated edition, 2010, 22.5 × 30 cm, linen with dust jacket, 456 pages, 1046 illustrations, 35 of which Duplex and 42 colors, 3 folding plates, ISBN 978-3-85676-254-4
- Sylvia Claus (ed.): Thinking ahead architecture. Werner Oechslin on his 60th birthday , gta Verlag Zurich 2004. ISBN 3-85676-150-0 . Table of Contents (PDF)
- Literature by and about Werner Oechslin in the catalog of the German National Library
- Internet presence of the Werner Oechslin library
- Current research projects of Oechslin at the GTA
- Werner Oechslin. In: arch INFORM .
- Prof. Dr. Werner Oechslin ( Memento from October 23, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
- Manfred Sack: Every issue an attempt. DAIDALOS, A NEW ARCHITECTURE MAGAZINE. DIE ZEIT, edition No. 40, 1981 http://www.zeit.de/1981/40/jedes-heft-ein-versuch accessed on May 27, 2013
- Awarding of the Central Switzerland Culture Prize 2007 | State Chancellery Lucerne | Presseportal.ch
- News: ETH Life - the daily web journal
- Website of the University of Antwerp
- Website of the USI Lugano
- TUM website ( Memento from July 22, 2012 in the web archive archive.today )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss architectural historian, art historian, author|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 3, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Einsiedeln|