Werner Plumpe (born November 13, 1954 in Bielefeld ) is a German historian . Since 1999 he has held the chair for economic and social history at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main .
Live and act
Werner Plumpe passed his Abitur at the Petrinum grammar school in Recklinghausen in 1973 and studied history and economics at the Ruhr University in Bochum from 1973 to 1980 . From 1980 to 1987 he was employed there as a research assistant. In 1985 he received his doctorate in Bochum with the thesis supervised by Dietmar Petzina: economic administration, management system and industrial interest policy in the British occupation after the Second World War 1945/49 . Until 1989, Plump was politically organized in the DKP . From 1987 to 1993 Plumpe was a university assistant in Bochum. In 1994 he completed his habilitation there, in that year he received the Venia Legendi in social and economic history and was appointed university lecturer. From 1997 to 1999, Plumpe taught as a substitute professor for economic and social history at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main. In 1998 he held a visiting professorship at Keiō University . Since 1999, Plumpe has been teaching economic and social history in Frankfurt am Main as a full professor.
His main research interests are the economic and social history of modern times, the corporate and industrial history of the 19th and 20th centuries, the history of industrial relations and the history of economic thought and theories. In 2016, after eight years of research, Plumpe published a biography of Carl Duisberg .
Among other things, Plumpe is chairman of the scientific advisory board of the Gesellschaft für Unternehmensgeschichte (GUG) , member of the scientific advisory board of the historical journal , member of the Frankfurt historical commission and the historical commission at the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (since 2010). From October 2010 to September 2011 he was a Fellow of the Historical College in Munich. Between 2008 and 2012 he was chairman of the Association of Historians in Germany . In 2014, Plumpe was awarded the Ludwig Erhard Prize for business journalism . He is also a member of the board of directors of the Historical Society of Deutsche Bank e. V. at.
- From plan to market. Business administration and employers' associations in the British zone (= Düsseldorfer Schriften zur recent regional history and the history of North Rhine-Westphalia. Vol. 22). Schwann, Düsseldorf 1987, ISBN 3-491-33122-6 .
- Workplace participation in the Weimar Republic. Case studies on Ruhr mining and the chemical industry (= sources and representations on contemporary history. Vol. 45). Oldenbourg, Munich 1999, ISBN 3-486-56238-X (also: Bochum, University, habilitation thesis, 1994).
- with Jan-Otmar Hesse , Roman Köster : The Great Depression. The Great Depression 1929–1939. Campus, Frankfurt am Main et al. 2014, ISBN 978-3-593-50162-8 .
- Carl Duisberg 1861-1935. Anatomy of an industrialist. Beck, Munich 2016, ISBN 978-3-406-69637-4 .
- Economic crises. History and present. 5th, revised and updated edition. Beck, Munich 2017, ISBN 978-3-406-60681-6 .
- Company history in the 19th and 20th centuries (= Encyclopedia of German History . Vol. 94). De Gruyter Oldenbourg, Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-486-58104-1 .
- The cold heart. Capitalism. The story of an ongoing revolution. Rowohlt, Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-871-34754-2 .
- with Alexander Nützenadel , Catherine R. Schenk: Deutsche Bank. The global house bank 1870–2020. Propylaea, Berlin 2020, ISBN 978-3-549-10016-5 .
- with Werner Abelshauser : Economic order, state and companies. New research on the economic history of National Socialism. Festschrift for Dietmar Petzina on her 65th birthday. Klartext-Verlag, Essen 2003, ISBN 3-89861-259-7 .
- Economic history (= basic texts history. Vol. 2). Steiner, Stuttgart 2008, ISBN 978-3-515-09064-3 .
- with Roman Köster, Bertram Schefold , Korinna Schönhärl: The ideal of the beautiful life and the reality of the Weimar Republic. Concepts of state and community in the George circle (= knowledge culture and social change. Vol. 33). Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 2009, ISBN 978-3-05-004577-1 .
- with Rainer Hank : How we got rich. Volume 1: A Brief History of Capitalism. Theiss, Stuttgart 2012, ISBN 978-3-8062-2704-8 .
- One vision - two companies. 125 years of the Carl Zeiss Foundation. Beck, Munich 2014, ISBN 3-406-66285-4 .
- Entrepreneur - facts and fictions. Historical-biographical studies (= writings of the historical college. Vol. 88). Oldenbourg, Munich 2014, ISBN 978-3-486-71352-7 .
- Jürgen Kaube : Leverkusen as a way of life. For the sixtieth of the historian Werner Plumpe. In: Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung , November 13, 2014, No. 264, p. 14.
- Literature by and about Werner Plumpe in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Plumpe at the University of Frankfurt am Main
- Page from Plumpe at the Institute for Social Research in Frankfurt am Main
- You are misleading the students. ZEIT conversation between Werner Plumpe and Frank Ziegele (CHE) about university rankings, ZEIT April 15, 2010 (PDF; 74 kB)
- "Capitalism is better than its reputation" , Werner Plumpe in an interview, Deutschlandfunk Kultur March 28, 2019
- Rainer Hank: Left, where the heart beats. Inventory of a political idea. 2nd Edition. Munich 2015.
- See the reviews of Cornelia Rauh in: Historische Zeitschrift . 306, 2018, pp. 250-253; Martin Lutz in: H-Soz-Kult , April 19, 2018, ( online ); Joachim Scholtyseck in: Rheinische Vierteljahrsblätter 83, 2019, pp. 342–344.
- Board of Directors of the Historical Society of Deutsche Bank . Retrieved October 4, 2018.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 13, 1954|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bielefeld|