Wolfgang Wüst attended the Ettal Abbey Boarding School for eight years (1963–1970) and passed his Abitur at the humanistic branch of the Werdenfels Gymnasium in Garmisch-Partenkirchen . Between 1973 and 1979 he studied history and English for teaching at grammar schools at the universities of Augsburg and Edinburgh / Scotland. He then received a scholarship from the Bavarian Academy of Sciences as part of the Historical Atlas of Bavaria project and assistant at the chair for regional history at the University of Augsburg. In 1982 he received his doctorate on the subject: The power-building forces of the Ancien Régime in the Günzburg district as part of the research project Historical Atlas of Bavaria. Wüst then worked from 1984 to 2000 in the archives service of the Free State of Bavaria and the city of Augsburg, most recently as director of the Augsburg city archive . In the years 1993–1995 he was released from the archives service as a scholarship holder of the German Volkswagen Foundation . In 1996 the habilitation for regional history, middle and modern history followed with a thesis on the topic: Spiritual State and Old Reich: Early Modern Forms of Rule, Administration and Court Management in the Augsburg Duchy . 1996–2000 worked alongside his archival work as a private lecturer at the University of Augsburg . In 2000 he followed a call to the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg . There he teaches Bavarian and Franconian history in regional and European comparison. In 2004 he had to admit that he had copied large parts of an essay without naming the source.
Wüst's areas of research and interests lie in the areas of politics, modern culture, environmental, communication, administrative, legal and social history. They are examined in the regional context of the 12th to 19th centuries. The following are to be mentioned for individual projects:
- Court and residence research,
- Edition of early modern police regulations in the Franconian, Swabian and Bavarian Empire,
- Censorship and press history,
- Historical atlas research,
- City, market and local history (including Nuremberg , Augsburg , Erlangen , Dillingen , Bobingen , Rögling ) in comparison,
- Spiritual states and dioceses,
- Interfaces between imperial and regional history (southern German imperial districts, imperial and regional courts),
- Nobility research,
- regional industrialization,
- early modern environmental problems.
Wolfgang Wüst is a member of the Bavarian and Haller Research Foundation . He is a board member or advisory board member of the Society for Franconian History , the Franconian Geographical Society, the Commission for Bavarian State History , the Bavarian Benedictine Academy , the Swabian Research Association (since 1992), the Institute for Comparative Urban History at the Westphalian Wilhelms University in Münster , the Southwest German Working Group for Urban History Research, the Görres Society , in numerous historical associations and in the Central Institute for Regional Research at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg. He has also been chairman of the Historical Association for Swabia for over a decade.
As an author
- Gunzburg . (Historical Atlas of Bavaria, Part Swabia, Issue I / 13) Munich 1983.
- Censorship as a support for state and church in the early modern era. Augsburg, Bavaria, Kurmainz and Württemberg in comparison . Introduction - Timeline - Documents (Writings of the Philosophical Faculties of the University of Augsburg, Vol. 57), Munich 1998.
- Spiritual state and old empire: Early modern forms of rule, administration and court keeping in the Augsburg prince-bishopric . (Studies on the Bavarian Constitutional and Social History, Vols. XIX / 1 and XIX / 2), Munich 2001.
- An enlightened economist in the "darkened" Hochstift: Eichstätt, Spalt and the hops . Lecture given on the occasion of the 75th anniversary of the Heimatverein Spalter Land eV on October 9, 2004 in the hall of the traditional costume association in Spalt (From the Spalter Heimat. Heimatkundliche Hefte, Issue 40), Spalt 2005. (28 pages, 2 images).
- Imperial circle and territory: rule over rule? Supraterritorial tendencies in politics, culture, economy and society. A comparison of southern German imperial circles . (Augsburg contributions to the regional history of Bavarian Swabia, vol. 7) Sigmaringen 2000.
- The "good" Policey in the Reichskreis. On the early modern setting of standards in the core regions of the Old Reich: Vol. 1: The Swabian Reichskreis, with special consideration of Bavarian Swabia . Berlin 2001.
- Press of the Enlightenment . Periodicals in the Old Kingdom (Colloquia Augustana, Vol. 16) Berlin 2001.
- Spiritual states in Upper Germany within the framework of the imperial constitution. Culture - Constitution - Economy - Society. Approaches to re-evaluation . (Upper Swabia - History and Culture, Vol. 10) Epfendorf 2002.
- The "good policey" in the Reichskreis. On the early modern setting of standards in the core regions of the Old Reich: Vol. 2: The Franconian Reichskreis . Berlin 2003.
- The "good" Policey in the Reichskreis. On the early modern setting of standards in the core regions of the Old Reich: Vol. 3: The Bavarian Empire and the Upper Palatinate . Berlin 2004.
- Franconia's cities and territories as a cultural hub. Communication in the middle of Germany . Interdisciplinary conference from September 29th to 30th, 2006 in Weißenburg i. Bavaria (Middle Franconian Studies, Vol. 19) Ansbach 2008.
- The "good" policey in the Reichskreis: Vol. 4: The local policey: setting standards and regulatory policy in the country . A source work, Berlin 2008.
- Departure into the modern age? Bavaria, the Old Empire and Europe at the turn of the century around 1800 . (Franconia 2nd supplements to the yearbook for Franconian regional research) Neustadt / Aisch 2010 (256 pages, numerous illustrations, index).
- Research on Bavarian and Swabian history . Collected contributions from Pankraz Fried. On his 65th birthday (publications by the Swabian Research Association, special publication), Sigmaringen 1997.
- Press of the Enlightenment. Periodic writings in the Old Kingdom . (Colloquia Augustana, vol. 16), Berlin 2001.
- The Augsburg Religious Peace 1555: An epochal event and its regional anchoring (magazine of the HV for Swabia, vol. 98), Augsburg 2005.
- Micro – meso – macro: regional research on the move - comparative perspectives (working papers of the Central Institute for Regional Research, No. 8), Erlangen 2005.
- Bavaria, Swabia and the Reich . Festschrift for Pankraz Fried on his 75th birthday (Augsburg contributions to the regional history of Bavarian Swabia, vol. 11), Augsburg 2007.
- Crossing boundaries. The foreign relations of Swabia in the Middle Ages and Modern Times (HV magazine for Swabia, vol. 100), Augsburg 2008.
- Swabia and Italy. Two European cultural landscapes between ancient and modern . Essays on the Bavarian State Exhibition 2010 “Bavaria-Italy” in Füssen and Augsburg (HV magazine for Swabia, vol. 102), Augsburg 2010 (447 pages, numerous color images, index).
- Courts and residences of clergy princes. Structures, regions and Salzburg's example in the Middle Ages and modern times . International and interdisciplinary conference in the Salzburg Residence, 19. – 22. February 2009 (Residences Research 24), Ostfildern 2010 (552 pages, numerous illustrations, also in color, index).
- History and memory: the southern German textile landscape - from the early modern era to the present . International conference in the Swabian Education Center from June 6th to 8th, 2008, Augsburg 2010 (528 pages, 175 illustrations, mostly in color).
Font directory. In: Sabine Wüst (Ed.): Treasures of the world from a regional historical perspective. Festschrift for the 65th birthday of Wolfgang Wüst. St. Ottilien: EOS 2018, ISBN 9783830678908 , pp. 805–830.
- Literature by and about Wolfgang Wüst in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg with further links
- Vita from the Institute for History at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
- List of publications ( Memento from September 16, 2003 in the Internet Archive )
- Publications by Wolfgang Wüst in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
- Professor spotted copying Spiegel online from April 23, 2004
- members of the Swabian Research Association; Retrieved September 26, 2015
- Board of Directors of the Historical Association for Swabia
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 10, 1953|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Krün , Bavaria|