|Properties of the orbit ( animation )|
|Orbit type||Middle main belt asteroid|
|Major semi-axis||2.5975 AU|
|Perihelion - aphelion||2.2209 AU - 2.9741 AU|
|Inclination of the orbit plane||12.7527 °|
|Length of the ascending node||311.5108 °|
|Argument of the periapsis||37.6830 °|
|Time of passage of the perihelion||4th January 2016|
|Sidereal period||4.19 a|
|Mean orbital velocity||18.47 km / s|
|Medium diameter||8.938 (± 0.108) km|
|Albedo||0.202 (± 0.023)|
|Absolute brightness||12.4 mag|
|Date of discovery||January 14, 1988|
|Another name||1988 AW 1|
|Source: Unless otherwise stated, the data comes from JPL Small-Body Database Browser . The affiliation to an asteroid family is automatically determined from the AstDyS-2 database . Please also note the note on asteroid items.|
(6701) Warhol is an asteroid of the main middle belt , which was discovered on January 14, 1988 by the Czech astronomer Antonín Mrkos at the Kle Observ Observatory ( IAU code 046) near Český Krumlov .
According to the SMASS classification ( Small Main-Belt Asteroid Spectroscopic Survey ), a spectroscopic study by Gianluca Masi , Sergio Foglia and Richard P. Binzel at (6701) Warhol assumed a light surface, so it could, roughly speaking, be around trade an S asteroid .
The asteroid was named on November 23, 1999 after the American graphic artist and filmmaker Andy Warhol , who was the co-founder and most important American exponent of Pop Art . On April 24, 2012, an impact crater on the southern hemisphere of the planet Mercury was named after Andy Warhol: Mercury Crater Warhol .
- (6701) Warhol in the database of the "Asteroids - Dynamic Site" (AstDyS-2, English).
- (6701) Warhol in the Small-Body Database of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory of NASA at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) in Pasadena , California (English)
- Gianluca Masi, Sergio Foglia, Richard P. Binzel: Search for Unusual Spectroscopic Candidates Among 40313 minor planets from the 3rd Release of the Sloan Digital Sky Survey Moving Object Catalog . (English)
- subdivision of asteroids to S-types, C-types and V-types (English)
- Entry of the asteroid on the website of the Kleť Observatory (English)
- The Mercury crater Warhol in the Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature of the IAU (WGPSN) / USGS (English)