Can't Help Falling in Love
Can't Help Falling in Love was written in 1961 by George David Weiss in cooperation with producers Luigi Creatore and Hugo Peretti for Elvis Presley. The song was intended for the musical film Blue Hawaii and should fit a certain point in the film script. In this sequence, Chad Gates (Elvis Presley), who has just returned from military service in Europe, presents his girlfriend's grandmother with a music box as a gift. According to the briefing, the music box should play a melody with a European touch, to which Elvis Presley sings a slow song. This inspired the team for the ballad Can't Help Falling in Love , for which Creatore and Weiss worked on the lyrics together, while Peretti took care of the melody, which was based on the French song Plaisir d'amour by Jean-Paul-Égide Martini from the 18th century.
Success of the Presley version
Elvis Presley chose the song from several suggestions, and Can't Help Falling in Love appeared on the single for the film on October 1, 1961 as the B-side to the fast rock-a-hula baby . In this case, the B-side of a single turned out to be more successful than the A-side, because Can't Help Falling in Love reached number 2 on the Billboard pop charts in the United States in 1962 , while Rock-A-Hula Baby was number 23 . By the end of 1962, the single had two million buyers in the United States alone. The piece was also very successful in the international charts and reached number 1 in Australia, South Africa and Great Britain, number 2 in Sweden and fourth in Canada, 11th in Italy and the Netherlands and 22nd in Germany.
When Elvis Presley ended his Hollywood career in the late 1960s and put live performance at the center of his career, he chose Can't Help Falling in Love as the final number of his concerts. The ballad is included in almost every concert recording from the 1970s, including the 1973 television special Aloha from Hawaii and Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis (1974), which was broadcast via satellite to over 40 countries around the world . The song can also be heard as Elvis Presley's interpretation in films such as Coyote Ugly and Lilo & Stitch .
The version of UB40
On May 10, 1993, UB40 released their version of Can't Help Falling in Love under the title (I Can't Help) Falling in Love with You , reaching the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand and Sweden No. 1 in the charts. This version of the song was used in the movie Sliver .
According to author Luigi Creatore, Can't Help Falling in Love has been covered by more than 30 other artists, including among others
- Al Martino
- Andrea Bocelli
- Andy Williams
- A * teens
- Barry Manilow
- Blackmore's Night
- Bob Dylan
- Christine McVie
- Corey Hart
- Dead moon
- Doris Day
- Hall & Oates
- Haley Reinhart
- Jacqueline Boyer
- Julio Iglesias
- Kenny Rogers
- Klaus Nomi
- Luka Bloom
- Lys Assia
- Michael Bublé
- Pearl Jam
- Perry Como
- Richard Marx
- Rick Astley
- The McCoys
- Twenty One Pilots
- The stylistics
- Charts DE Charts UK Charts US
- Ken Sharp: Elvis Presley, Writing for the King, The Stories of the Songwriters, Denmark: FTD Books 2006, pp. 101-103.
- Adam Victor: The Elvis Encyclopedia, Overlook / Duckworth / Peter Mayer Publishers Inc. 2008, p. 64.
- cf. Joel Whitburn's Billboard chart database at RecordResearch.com. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- Marc Hendrickx: Elvis A. Presley - Music, People, Myth, Verlagsgruppe Koch GmbH, Höfen 2003, p. 134.
- cf. Foreign chart placements at http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id14.html ( Memento from June 14, 2004 in the Internet Archive ) , http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id20.html ( Memento from June 4 , 2004 in the Internet Archive ) March 2004 in the Internet Archive ) http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id40.html ( Memento from January 17, 2004 in the Internet Archive ) , http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id26.html ( Memento from September 29, 2003 in the Internet Archive ) http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id22.html ( Memento from January 9, 2004 in the Internet Archive ) , http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id25 .html ( Memento from January 13, 2004 in the Internet Archive ) , http://jamesleeky.tripod.com/elvispresleytop40hitsworldwide/id19.html ( Memento from January 9, 2004 in the Internet Archive )
- Charts DE Charts AT Charts CH Charts UK Charts US
- (I Can't Help) Falling In Love With You. In: discogs.com. Discogs , November 12, 2017, accessed November 12, 2017 .
- Ken Sharp: Elvis Presley, Writing for the King, p. 103.
- As "Fools Rush In" - http://www.myspace.com/candicenight
- On the album "Graveyard" from 1988 - https://www.discogs.com/de/Dead-Moon-In-The-Graveyard/master/355712