Ernst Bux attended the XII from 1896 to 1900. Citizens' school in Leipzig and from 1900 to 1909 the König-Albert-Gymnasium . After military service with the Guard Infantry Regiment No. 106 in Leipzig, he studied classical philology , archeology and history at the University of Leipzig from 1910 . From 1914 to 1918 he served in the First World War . In the first year of his service he completed his 1915 promotion to Dr. phil. from.
From 1917 Bux worked as a teacher at the König-Albert-Gymnasium. During this time he was involved in the Association for Germanism Abroad (from 1921) and was a member of the German Democratic Party (DDP) from 1924 to 1926 . Allegedly he kept his distance from the regime during the time of National Socialism , but he was a member of the National Socialist People's Welfare (NSV) since 1934, of the National Socialist Teachers' Association and since 1942 of the National Socialist Old Masters Association .
After the war ended, he joined the CDU in 1945 . In 1946, after almost thirty years, Bux left school and went to the University of Leipzig as a lecturer for Latin and Greek. There he completed his habilitation in ancient history of education in 1947, was appointed private lecturer and in 1948 professor with teaching assignment. He died on January 25, 1951 at the age of 60.
Ernst Bux emerged as the author and editor of several textbooks for the teaching of history in the 1920s and 1930s, the most widely used of which was Ancient History . In addition, he wrote several articles about Greek historians for the Realencyclopadie der classical antiquity (RE) at the same time .
- The Probuleuma with Dionys von Halikarnass. A contribution to the history of Roman historiography of the first century BC . Weida 1915 (Leipzig dissertation)
- with Hermann Pinnow: History of Antiquity . Leipzig 1924. 2nd edition, Leipzig 1924. 4th edition, Leipzig 1925. 6th edition, Leipzig 1926. 8th edition, Leipzig 1928. 11th edition, Leipzig 1932
- Roman history . Leipzig 1927
- with Hans Warg: Greek history . Leipzig 1929
- with Hans Lamer and Wilhelm Schöne: Dictionary of antiquity with consideration of their continued operation . Leipzig 1933. 3rd, reviewed and supplemented edition, Stuttgart 1950. 4th, reviewed and supplemented edition, Stuttgart 1956. 5th edition, Stuttgart 1959
- Protagoras Studies . Habilitation thesis, 1947 (unprinted)
- Xenophon: The Socratic Writings. Memorabilia, symposium, oikonomikos, apology. Transferred and edited by Ernst Bux . Stuttgart 1956
- Literature by Ernst Bux in the catalog of the German National Library
- Ernst Bux in the professorial catalog of the University of Leipzig
- Harry Waibel : Servants of many masters. Former Nazi functionaries in the Soviet Zone / GDR. Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 2011, ISBN 978-3-631-63542-1 , pp. 59-60.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German ancient historian and high school teacher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1890|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hohenstein , East Prussia|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 25, 1951|
|Place of death||Leipzig|