Franz de Paula Penz
The farmer's son from Navis studied theology in Brixen and was ordained a priest in 1730. He was also interested in architecture and, as a self-taught priest, designed plans for church buildings. Because of this talent, he was appointed ecclesiastical building director in 1735. In 1736 he became a cooperator in Telfes im Stubai, and from 1753 until his death he worked there as a pastor.
Penz designed numerous church buildings and shaped the late Baroque church architecture in Tyrol significantly. He planned the buildings and sent a mobile construction team to the respective construction site, which was reinforced by local volunteers. The Wilten basilica , which was built from 1751 to 1755, is considered to be his main work .
- 1735–1737 Extension of the nave and vaulting of the parish church of St. John the Baptist and Evangelist in Innsbruck- Arzl .
- 1736 New construction of the Widum in Telfes im Stubai , there also the old people's home for priests in Gagers
- 1737–1739 The parish church in Mieders is baroque
- 1741 Establishment of a curate and baroque transformation of the parish church of St. Michael and building a new widum in Gnadenwald
- 1744–1745 New construction of the old parish church hl. Peter in Weerberg
- 1745 New construction of the Widum in Fulpmes
- 1746–1747 New construction of the parish church in Fulpmes , with the sculptor Joseph Stapf (Füssen school), the execution was in charge of Matthias and Johann Michael Umhauser
- 1746–1747 construction of the branch church hl. Margareth in Medraz at the same time as the Fulpmes parish church
- 1748–1749 construction of the parish church hl. Cross in Schönberg in the Stubai Valley , probably with master builder Johann Michael Umhauser
- 1751 construction of the parish church hl. Stephen in Anras
- 1751–1755 construction management for the Wilten basilica in Innsbruck - Wilten , the construction plans were drawn up by the sculptor Joseph Stapf, the execution was in the hands of Matthias and Johann Michael Umhauser
- 1753–1754 rebuilding of the widum north of the parish church in Schönberg in the Stubaital
- 1754–1755 construction of the parish church hl. Pankratius in Telfes im Stubai, presumably with Johann Michael Umhauser
- 1756 Baroque renovation of the former parish church and now the chapel of the dead in Navis
- 1758–1759 Reconstruction and expansion of the parish church of Our Lady Maria Schnee in Gschnitz
- 1760 construction of the parish church hl. Nikolaus by Johann Michael Umhauser, exterior building in the Penz type
- 1760 New construction of the Widum north of the parish church of St. Josef in Schmirn
- 1762–1764 construction of the parish church hl. Ulrich in Obertilliach
- 1763–1765 construction of the parish church hl. Erasmus in Steinach am Brenner
- 1764–1766 New construction of the Kreuzkirche in Pill
- 1765–1768 the church of the Congregatio Jesu is rebuilt in Brixen
- 1768–1774 construction of the parish church hl. Georg in Neustift in the Stubai Valley
- Constantin von Wurzbach : Penz, Franz de Paula . In: Biographisches Lexikon des Kaiserthums Oesterreich . 21st part. Imperial and Royal Court and State Printing Office, Vienna 1870, p. 455 f. ( Digitized version ).
- Dehio Tirol 1980 , 20 mentions in the artist directory.
- Karl Bayer: Franz de Paula Penz. His life and his work. Tyrolia-Verlag, Innsbruck 1991, ISBN 3-7022-1744-4 .
- Literature by and about Franz de Paula Penz in the catalog of the German National Library
- Franz de Paula Penz , in the history database ofthe association "fontes historiae - sources of history"
|Penz, Franz de Paula
|Austrian pastor and architect
|DATE OF BIRTH
|April 1, 1707
|PLACE OF BIRTH
|Navis , Tyrol
|DATE OF DEATH
|March 12, 1772
|Place of death
|Telfes im Stubai , Tyrol