The Hamburger Edition HIS Verlagsges. mbH , Hamburger Edition for short , is the publishing house of the Hamburg Institute for Social Research (HIS) based in its premises. The science publisher for publications in the fields of sociology , history and political science was founded in 1994. In addition to monographs , compilations , essay and debate books , the institute's social science and contemporary history journal, Mittelweg 36 , is also published by the publisher.
The publisher has the legal form of a GmbH . The sole shareholder is HIS, the managing director was initially Jan Philipp Reemtsma . Birgit Otte has been in charge of the Hamburger Edition publishing house from the start and has been fully managing director since 2015.
A scientific publications advisory board decides which books will be included in the publishing program. In addition to the results of the work of researchers at the institute and from other German-speaking research contexts, there are also many writings that are translated and published as original editions or under license .
The publisher uses the sales cooperation Forum independent .
Origin and development
The results of the research at HIS were initially published by various publishers. In the autumn of 1994 the in-house publishing house was founded, which presented books for the first time in the spring of 1995. In terms of content, they dealt with topics that still shape the work at HIS today: anti-Semitism , nationalism , Stalinism , xenophobia as well as the theory and history of violence and the development of mass crimes such as genocide and their legal and social consequences.
Over the years the program has followed the expanded and changing research topics of the HIS. It now also includes contributions to democratic theory, the theory and reality of the welfare state , the analysis of political protest (especially in the Federal Republic of Germany ), research into the changing world of work, and reflection on social inequality and exclusion .
Since 2005, the Hamburger Edition has also published a small series that takes up current issues and presents them in pocket format. 2012 The publisher issued a series of publications , which studies violent history of the 20th century . Jörg Baberowski , Bernd Greiner and Michael Wildt act as their editors .
The institute magazine Mittelweg 36 , founded in 1992, has been published by the publisher every two months since 1994. Their editing is also located in the HIS. The gender parity team, consisting of eight editors, is headed by Martin Bauer.
More than 500 authors have published books in the Hamburger Edition or articles in compilations published by this publisher; there are also other authors whose texts have appeared in the journal Mittelweg 36 . These include Zygmunt Bauman , Heinz Bude , Robert Castel , Bernd Greiner, Gerd Hankel , Elizabeth Harvey , Ulrike Jureit , Wolfgang Kraushaar , Regina Mühlhäuser , Susan Neiman , Jan Philipp Reemtsma, Pierre Rosanvallon and Michael Wildt.
- Birgit Otte: 20 Years Hamburger Edition , in: Hamburg Institute for Social Research: Projects, Events, Publications 2012–2015 , Hamburg, April 2014, pp. 70–73; see also the publishing program “Hamburger Edition. Fall 2014 ", pp. 14-17.
- Bisnode business profile of 7 April 2014; Dun & Bradstreet Company Profile as of March 20, 2014.
- Jan Philipp Reemtsma: Apropos: 20/30 , in: Hamburg Institute for Social Research: Projects, Events, Publications 2012–2015 , pp. 10–16, here p. 10.
- "Booksellers need a tremendous knowledge of human nature" , Torsten Casimir and Stefan Hauck in conversation with Jan Philipp Reemtsma, in: Börsenblatt .net , September 13, 2013, accessed on July 20, 2014.
- See the note ( memento of October 19, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) on their website and buchreport.express , No. 16/2013, p. 14.
- Birgit Otte: 20 Years Hamburger Edition , in: Hamburg Institute for Social Research: Projects, Events, Publications 2012–2015 , pp. 70–73.
- Birgit Otte: 20 Years Hamburger Edition , in: Hamburg Institute for Social Research: Projects, Events, Publications 2012–2015 , pp. 70–73, here p. 70.
- Birgit Otte: 20 Years Hamburger Edition , in: Hamburg Institute for Social Research: Projects, Events, Publications 2012–2015 , pp. 70–73, here p. 72.
- Information about the publisher ( Memento from October 28, 2014 in the Internet Archive ), accessed on February 3, 2015.
- See the list of authors ( memento of October 9, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) of the edition, there also other names.