Sacred Heart Missionaries
The religious order of the Sacred Heart Missionaries ( Latin Missionarii Sacratissimi Cordis , French Missionaires du Sacré-Cœur (de Jésus) , abbreviation MSC ) was founded in 1854 by Father Jules Chevalier in Issoudun , Diocese of Bourges , France . The founder saw in the heart of Jesus that symbol that announces to people: "God loves people and the world and wants people to love one another as He loved us in Jesus." This is why the school profile is also called: "Become sensitive for God, for one's own dignity and calling, as well as for others, especially the weaker ones. ”The Herz Jesu Gymnasium is a private high school with around 900 students. It is in Salzburg Liefering.
History and dissemination
Worldwide there are around 1800 fathers , brothers and novices in the community (as of December 31, 2015: 1754). They work in 55 countries and on all continents. Its central leadership, the Generalate, is in Rome ; Issoudun near Bourges is a well-known place of pilgrimage and a worldwide training center for the MSC.
The Sacred Heart Missionaries of the north German province are known as " Hiltrup Missionaries" after the seat of the Provincial Council in Hiltrup near Münster. Here they founded a grammar school in 1897, which has been called the Kardinal von Galen grammar school since 1946 . In 1975 the diocese of Münster took over responsibility for the school. With over 1000 students, it is one of the largest high schools in the diocese. Another grammar school sponsored by the religious order is the Johanneum in Homburg in Saarland . Eight fathers from the north German province, including two bishops, live and work as missionaries and pastors in Peru (as of 2015).
The Sacred Heart Missionaries of the southern German-Austrian province with their center in the Salzburg district of Liefering run schools, homes, boarding schools , houses of reflection in Steinerskirchen in Upper Bavaria, parishes and work in missions in the Congo and Brazil . Particularly well-known houses of the Sacred Heart Missionaries are the boarding school Hl. Kreuz in Donauwörth , which, like its boys' secondary school, is attended by students from all over Germany, and the private high school in Liefering.
The following clergy led the religious community as superior general :
in order of appearance
- Josef Rath: Message of love. For the 50th anniversary of the Hiltrup Mission House and the North German Province of the Sacred Heart Missionaries 1897–1947 . B. Kühlen Verlag, Mönchengladbach 1947.
- Josef Storck: Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Jesus . Publisher of the Hiltrup Missionaries, Münster 1954.
- Reiner Jaspers: Colonialism and missionary activity - explained using the religious boundary on New Britain after 1890 . In: Hans Waldenfels (ed.): "... because I am with you". Perspectives in Christian mission consciousness today. Festival ceremony for Josef Glazik and Bernward Willeke . Benziger, Cologne 1978, pp. 169-182.
- Reiner Jaspers: Historical investigations into a murder of missionaries on New Britain (Papua New Guinea) 1904 . In: Neue Zeitschrift für Missionswissenschaft (NZM), Vol. 63 (1979), 1-24.
- Hundred years of Sacred Heart Missionaries in the South Seas 1882–1982 . Verlag der Hiltrup Missionare, Münster 1982.
- Reiner Jaspers: A Brief History of the Catholic Church in Papua New Guinea . In: Papers Prepared for the Visit of Pope John Paul II to Papua New Guinea, 7-10 May, 1984 . Port Moresby 1984, pp. 1-6.
- James Waldersee: "Neither Eagles Nor Saints". MSC Missions in Oceania 1881-1975 . Chevalier Press, Sydney 1995, ISBN 0-86940-144-0 .
- Horst Founder : The foundation of the Hiltrup Mission House from a historical perspective . In: Fritz Biermann u. a. (Red.): One hundred years of the Hiltrup Mission House and the German Province of the Sacred Heart Missionaries. Documentation 1897–1997 . Münster 1997, pp. 26-32.
- Paul B. Steffen : The Catholic Missions in German New Guinea. In: Hermann Joseph Hiery (ed.): The German South Sea. A manual . Schöningh, Paderborn, 2nd, reviewed and improved edition. 2002, ISBN 3-506-73912-3 , pp. 343-383.
- Gabrielle Dorren: Door de wereld moved. Geschiedenis van de Nederlandse Missionarissen van het heilig Hart (MSC) . Uitgeverij Verloren, Hilversum 2004, ISBN 90-6550-813-9 .
- Sr. Mary Drum MSC: Centenary of "Martyrdom" at St. Paul's. Remembering the Historical Event and Reflecting Afresh . Archdiocese of Rabaul Office in collaboration with the Centenary Committee, Rabaul, East New Britain, Papua New Guinea 2004.
- Paul B. Steffen: Review by: Gabriele Dorren: Moved by the World. History of the Dutch Missionaries of the Sacred Heart (MSC) (Door de wereld bewogen. Geschiedenis van de Nederlandse Missionarissen van het Heilig Hart (MSC)). In: Catalyst , Vol. 42 (2012), No. 1, pp. 88-93.
- Paul B. Steffen: Couppé, Louis MSC, Bishop (1850-1926). Missionary pioneer and founder in New Guinea . In: Biographisch-Bibliographisches Kirchenlexikon (BBKL), Vol. 34, Nordhausen 2013, ISBN 978-3-88309-766-4 , Sp. 180-196.
- Annuario Pontificio , 2017 edition, p. 1421.
- Italy: Sacred Heart Missionaries have new Superior General ( Memento from September 20, 2017 in the Internet Archive )