Johann Georg I (Anhalt-Dessau)
Johann Georg I, Prince of Anhalt-Dessau (born May 9, 1567 in Harzgerode , † May 24, 1618 in Dessau ) from the House of Ascanians was the ruling Prince of Anhalt-Dessau .
Prince Johann Georg I was the son of Prince Joachim Ernst von Anhalt and his first wife Agnes von Barby . The princes Christian I , August , Rudolf and Ludwig I were his brothers and half-brothers, respectively.
On February 22, 1588, Prince Johann Georg I married Dorothea von Mansfeld . But his wife died in the fifth year of their marriage. After observing the obligatory year of mourning, Prince Johann Georg I married Dorothea von Pfalz-Simmern on August 31, 1595 . The children Johann Kasimir von Anhalt-Dessau and Kunigunde Juliane von Anhalt-Dessau came from this second marriage .
Until 1603 Prince Johann Georg I ruled on behalf of his younger brothers. Through the partition agreement, which was ratified in the same year, he received the Dessau share and the seniorate. As the ruling ruler, he continued the Reformation insofar as he vehemently promoted the abolition of traditional customs and ceremonies .
On August 24, 1617, he co-founded the Fruitful Society . His brother, Prince Ludwig I of Anhalt-Köthen , gave him the company name Fragrant and the motto mixed with sweet . As an emblem he was given a blooming may flower ( Convallaria majalis L. ). The entry of Prince Johann Georg I can be found in the Koethen Society Register under number 9. There is also the rhyme law with which he thanked for the admission:
- That sawr mixed with sweet
- soon crept in
- And how the flowers smell not only is sweet alone
- So without bitterness nothing may be odorous.
Prince Johann Georg I was well-read in many areas, but especially in astrology and alchemy. He had a remarkable library with over 3,000 volumes.
Prince Johann Georg I died on May 24, 1618 in Dessau at the age of 51. His successor was Johann Kasimir von Anhalt-Dessau .
From two marriages he had a total of ten daughters and six sons.
First marriage: Johann Georg I married Dorothea von Mansfeld-Arnstein in 1588
- Sophie Elisabeth von Anhalt-Dessau (1589–1622) ∞ Georg Rudolf von Liegnitz
- Agnes Magdalene von Anhalt-Dessau (1590–1626) ∞ Otto von Hessen-Kassel , son of Moritz von Hessen-Kassel
- Anna Maria of Anhalt-Dessau (1591–1637)
- Joachim Ernst of Anhalt-Dessau (1592–1615)
- Christian (* / † 1594)
Second marriage: Johann Georg I married Dorothea von Pfalz-Simmern in 1595
- Johann Casimir (1596–1660)
- Anna Elisabeth von Anhalt-Dessau (1598–1660) ∞ Count Wilhelm Heinrich von Bentheim-Steinfurt
- Friedrich Moritz (1600–1610)
- Eleonore Dorothea von Anhalt-Dessau (* February 16, 1602 - † December 26, 1664) ∞ Duke Wilhelm of Saxony-Weimar
Sibylle Christine (1603–1686)
- ∞ (I) Count Philipp Moritz von Hanau-Münzenberg (1605–1638)
- ∞ (II) Count Friedrich Casimir von Hanau-Lichtenberg (1623–1685)
- Heinrich Waldemar (1604–1606)
- Georg Aribert (1606–1643)
- Kunigunde Juliane (February 17, 1607/08; † 1683) ∞ Landgrave Hermann von Hessen-Rotenburg (1607–1658), son of Moritz von Hessen-Kassel
Susanna Margarete (1610–1663)
- ∞ (engaged, died before the wedding) Count Johann Ernst von Hanau-Münzenberg-Schwarzenfels (1613–1642)
- ∞ Count Johann Philipp von Hanau-Lichtenberg (1626–1669)
- Johanna Dorothea von Anhalt-Dessau (1612–1695) ∞ Count Moritz von Bentheim-Tecklenburg
- Eva Katharine of Anhalt-Dessau (1613–1679)
- Ferdinand Siebigk: Johann Georg I (Prince of Anhalt-Dessau) . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 14, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1881, pp. 114-116.
- Johann C. Beckmann : History of the Principality of Anhalt. Anhaltische Landesbücherei, Dessau 1995 (reprint of the Zerbst 1710 edition)
- Correspondence from Johann Georg I von Anhalt-Dessau in the State Archives Saxony-Anhalt, Dessau department
Prince of Anhalt
1586 - 1603
Prince of Anhalt-Dessau
1603 - 1618
Prince of Anhalt-Bernburg
1603 - 1606
Prince of Anhalt-Köthen
1603 - 1606
Prince of Anhalt-Plötzkau
1603 - 1606
Prince of Anhalt-Zerbst
1603 - 1606
|SURNAME||Johann Georg I.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Johann Georg I of Anhalt-Dessau|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Prince of Anhalt-Dessau|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 9, 1567|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Harzgerode|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 24, 1618|
|Place of death||Dessau|