Meinrad Guggenbichler was born in Einsiedeln under the name "Guggenbüel". His father Georg was a stone sculptor and builder. After the death of his father, he went to Dillingen with his older brother Johann Michael and completed his apprenticeship there.
His first work in the St. Florian Monastery near Linz is dated from 1670 . As early as 1675 he was involved in the erection of the high altar in the parish church of Straßwalchen , which was incorporated into Mondsee Monastery . From 1678 until the end of his life he worked as a monastery sculptor for Mondsee Monastery.
The work of the artist, who was based in Mondsee as the head of an important workshop from 1678, includes the altars in Straßwalchen , Mondsee , Irrsdorf , Lochen am See , St. Wolfgang , Oberwang , Michaelbeuern , Stadtpfarrkirche Rattenberg (Tyrol) and Oberhofen am Irrsee as well as statues for Munderfing , Schleedorf and Maria Kirchental .
- 1675: Salzburg, Straßwalchen parish church , high altar
- 1679–1681: Upper Austria, Mondsee basilica , Heiliggeist altar, Wolfgang altar, pulpit, statues
- 1682–1684: Upper Austria, Mondsee basilica , dining altar, poor soul altar
- 1682–1684: Salzburg, branch church Irrsdorf , figural and ornamental carvings for the high altar
- 1685: Salzburg, Markuskirche (Salzburg) , figure of St. Gelasius; Figure of St. Fulgentius. Both figures are in the Salzburg Cathedral Museum . The assignment to St. Mark's Church seems puzzling, as it was only inaugurated in 1705.
- 1689: Salzburg, branch church Irrsdorf , side altars
- 1690: Upper Austria, Mondsee basilica , organ case
- 1691: Salzburg, Benedictine Abbey Michaelbeuern , high altar
- 1693: Upper Austria, Catholic parish church Dorfbeuern “Hll. Nicholas and John the Baptist ”, console figures Mary with child, risen.
- 1699–1701: Salzburg, Schleedorf parish church high altar figures Martyrdom of St. Stephen, the side figures of St. George and St. Florian, more figures from his workshop
- 1699–1701: Salzburg Cathedral Museum , group of figures "Annunciation" from the Schleedorf rectory (workshop)
- around 1700: Bavaria, parish church St. Laurentius (Tittmoning) , figures of St. Wolfgang and St. Boniface in the choir
- around 1702: Salzburg, Faistenau parish church , figures "Man of Sorrows", "Mother of God in Sorrows"
- 1703: Salzburg, branch church Irrsdorf , Pietà
- around 1706: Salzburg, Kollegienkirche , figures of the side altars
- 1706: Upper Austria, parish and pilgrimage church St. Wolfgang , cross altar "St. Gertrude as intercessor for the poor souls", St. John and Mary
- 1706: Upper Austria, parish and pilgrimage church of St. Wolfgang , Antonius altar
- 1706: Upper Austria, parish and pilgrimage church St. Wolfgang , pulpit
- 1706: Upper Austria, parish and pilgrimage church of St. Wolfgang , rosary altar, striding groups of figures: "Abraham and Isaac", "Archangels Raphael and Tobias"
- 1707: Salzburg, branch church Eugendorf-St. Georg , high altar
- 1707–1708: Upper Austria, Oberwang parish church , group of figures on the high altar "Murder of St. Kilian"
- 1709: Upper Austria, parish church Lochen , high altar " Mother of God enthroned with the baby Jesus on the clouds", (attributed to Guggenbichler)
- 1710: Salzburg, Preimskirche in Bad Gastein, side altars (attributed)
- 1710: Salzburg, Preimskirche in Bad Gastein, Man of Sorrows (attributed to)
- 1710: Upper Austria, Oberwang parish church , side altars (workshop)
- 1712: Upper Austria, Oberhofen am Irrsee parish church , high altar
- 1713: Upper Austria, parish church St. Georgen im Attergau , pulpit
- 1713: Upper Austria, parish church St. Georgen im Attergau , tabernacle (top figures of three church fathers are today in the parish and pilgrimage church Attersee )
- 1714: Upper Austria, St. Lorenz branch church , figures in the choir "Man of Sorrows", "Madonna of Sorrows"
- Cologne, Schnütgen Museum, crucifix
- Antje Kosegarten: New German Biography (NDB). Volume 7, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1966, ISBN 3-428-00188-5 , p. 293 f. ( ). In:
- M. Soffner-Loibl, E. Wageneder: Mondsee - Former. Benedictine abbey and parish church of St Michael (church guide). Passau 2009.
- Decker, Heinrich, Meinrad Guggenbichler, Schroll Verlag Vienna 1949.
- Gertrude Zimmerli: Guggenbichler, Johann Meinrad. In: Sikart
- Works by Meinrad Johann Guggenbichler in: Digitales Belvedere
- Literature by and about Meinrad Guggenbichler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry on Meinrad Guggenbichler in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Guggenbichler, Johann Meinrad|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian baroque sculptor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 17, 1649|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Einsiedeln , Switzerland|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 10, 1723|
|Place of death||Mondsee , Upper Austria|