|Montegiardino (San Marino)|
|Residents||970 (February 29, 2020)|
|Population density||293 inhabitants / km²|
|Capitano di Castello||Giacomo Rinaldi (since 2014)|
Montegiardino has 970 inhabitants and an area of 3.31 km².
The place borders the San-Marinese municipalities Fiorentino and Faetano and the Italian municipalities Sassofeltrio and Monte Grimano (both in the province of Pesaro and Urbino ) and is the municipality with the smallest area and also the lowest number of inhabitants in the national territory.
The origins of the place can be traced back to Longobard times - around 568 AD. Until the end of the 14th century, the place belonged to the Counts of Carpegna ( Province of Pesaro and Urbino ), then it passed to the Malatesta of Rimini . In 1463 he was conquered and annexed by San Marino. In the Middle Ages, there was a defense tower on the chalk cliff here. The church of San Lorenzo, located outside the city walls, built on the ruins of two older churches, dates from 1865 and is dedicated to the martyr Lawrence . The nave of the church consists of three naves , and on the main altar is a statue of Saint Marinus made by Adamo Tadolini as a model for the statue on the altar of the Basilica of San Marino .
- Chiesa di San Lorenzo , church built in 1865 with five panels from the 18th century inside. In 1891 the campanile was completed.
The Faculty of Economics and Technology of the Università degli Studi della Repubblica di San Marino is located in Montegiardino .
sons and daughters of the town
- Anita Simoncini (* 1999), singer
- Official website of the Repubblica di San Marino in Montegiardino
- Website of the Sanmarinosite.com portal on Montegiardino
- Castello di Montegiardino
- Description of Montegiardino
- San Marino - Sights on www.goruma.de, accessed on November 11, 2015
- Official website of the Repubblica di San Marino on the history of Montegiardino (Italian), accessed on November 8, 2015
- History of Montegiardino Website of the Diocese of San Marino Montefeltro (Italian), accessed on November 11, 2015
- Local history of Montegiardino ( Memento of the original from March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. from sanmarinostate.com (Italian), accessed November 7, 2015