The son of a math teacher was an air force helper in World War II . He was wounded in Alsace and taken prisoner by the Americans. After the war he studied classical philology and archeology in Göttingen and Marburg . In Marburg he received his doctorate in 1953 on "The Pandora saga at Hesiod". 1962 followed the habilitation on "Encomium in Sanctum Stephanum protomartyrem". In 1967 he became professor of classical philology at the Saarland University . Ten years later he moved to Marburg, where he taught until his retirement in 1991. From 1970 to 1989 he was a member of the central management of the German Archaeological Institute .
Otto Lendle dealt with ancient authors such as Hesiod , Xenophon and Gregor von Nyssa as well as siege techniques ( poliorketics ) and historiography. The preoccupation with a major commentary on the first seven books of Xenophon's " Anabasis " (1995) led to a historical novel ( The Mercenaries of Cyrus , 1999).
- Turtles. Ancient war machines in Poliorketian texts (= Palingenesia , Volume 10), Franz Steiner Verlag, Wiesbaden 1975, ISBN 3-515-02066-7
- Texts and studies on the technical field of ancient poliorketics. (= Palingenesia, Volume 19), Franz Steiner Verlag, Wiesbaden 1983, ISBN 3-515-03674-1
- Introduction to Greek historiography. From Hekataios to Zosimos. Wissenschaftliche Buchgesellschaft, Darmstadt 1992 (The Ancient Studies. Introductions), ISBN 3-534-10122-7
- Commentary on Xenophon's Anabasis (Books 1-7). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1995, ISBN 3-534-12813-3
- The mercenaries of Cyrus. Historical factual novel. Primus-Verlag, Darmstadt 1999, ISBN 3-89678-216-9
- Inge Auerbach: Catalogus professorum academiae Marburgensis. Second volume: 1910 to 1971 . Marburg 1979, p. 556
- Bernd Manuwald : Otto Lendle, a teacher with students, without a school . In: Wlodzimierz Appel (ed.): Magistri et discipuli. Chapter on the history of classical studies in the 20th century. Toruń 2002, pp. 179-185, ISBN 83-231-1521-4 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German classical philologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 17, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bad Hersfeld|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 8, 1999|
|Place of death||Mellnau|