Ralph Peter Steitz , known under the pseudonyms RPS Lanrue and David Volksmund (born January 14, 1950 in Grenoble , France ) is a German guitarist , composer and co-founder of the rock group Ton Steine Scherben .
life and career
When his family moved to Germany, they lived in Nieder-Roden, Hesse (now a part of Rodgau ), like the Rio Reiser family back then . In January 1966, RPS Lanrue - who later became guitarist, composer and co-founder of Ton Steine Scherben - asked Rio Reiser if he would like to sing in his group. The band was called Beat Kings and mainly covered beat music. In the same year Lanrue and Rio Reiser founded the rock band De Galaxis , in which they also played their own pieces from time to time.
Lanrues main instrument was initially the drums . After moving to West Berlin in 1967, he switched to the guitar . His favorite bands in those days were The Kinks , The Zombies and The Pretty Things . In the beginning he was nicknamed "Fifi" because he once played with a puppet and always called it that. He got the French name Lanrue from Manfred Lehmann , an actor from the Berlin Forum Theater . “Lanrue” is a corruption of “de la rue” (from the street). Over time, "Fifi" was replaced by Lanrue's initials R.P.S.
When Rio Reiser moved to West Berlin in 1967, Lanrue joined him. An important reason for the move: West Berlin had a " demilitarized status ", i. H. there was no Bundeswehr presence in the city and there was no conscription. From the collaboration with Dietmar Roberg, Blalla Hallmann and others for the street theater Hoffmann's Comic Teater and the apprentice theater Rote Steine , the band Ton Steine Scherben developed in 1970 with the addition of Kai Sichtermann (bass) and Wolfgang Seidel (drums) . Similar to the duo Mick Jagger and Keith Richards in the Rolling Stones , Reiser and Lanrue set the tone for Ton Steine Scherben in terms of text, composition and musical development . Both belonged to the band from its inception until its dissolution in 1985.
After the end of clay stones shards , Lanrue took care of the administration of the David Volksmund production in Fresenhagen . He played on most of Reiser's solo albums and was a member of his live band. Lanrue made his last appearance with Reiser at two concerts in the Werner-Seelenbinder-Halle in East Berlin in 1988.
On the occasion of the homage to Rio Reiser, Lanrue and Ton Steine Scherben appeared on stage at the 24th Teddy Award Gala for the first time since the death of their front man in their original line-up. Clay stones shards opened the event together with Terra Brasilis with Mein Name ist Mensch . Together with Adel Tawil ( Ich + Ich ) they played the song Hold on to your love during the evening .
In April 2014, 29 years after the original group split up, Ton Steine Scherben went on tour through Germany, Austria and Switzerland for the first time under the direction of Lanrue. The guest singers included Blumentopf , Frittenbude , Madsen , Max Prosa and Sebastian Krumbiegel .
Lanrue also lived in Portugal for several years. There his belongings fell victim to the forest fires (2004). Later he lived again for some time on "his" farm in Fresenhagen, the former Scherbendomizil in North Friesland (Schleswig-Holstein). In 2009 he left the farm again. Lanrue lives in Berlin today.
LPs and CDs
- 1971: LP Why am I so dirty? (DVP)
- 1972: Double LP No Power for Nobody (DVP)
- 1973: LP Herr Freßsack and the Bremen Town Musicians (radio play) - TSS & Hoffmanns Comic-Theater ( Rotbuch Verlag )
- 1975: Double LP When the Night is Deepest ... (DVP)
- 1976: LP Teufel hast du Wind (radio play) - TSS & Dietmar Roberg (Rotbuch-Verlag)
- 1976: LP Paranoia - TSS & collective Rote Rübe, theater music
- 1977: LP Mannstoll - TSS & Brühwarm (DVP)
- 1979: LP Entartet - TSS & Brühwarm (DVP)
- 1981: Double LP IV (Clay-Stones-Shards-Album) (DVP)
- 1981: LP selection I (Strand / Teldec - sampler authorized by the band with highlights from 1970 to 1981)
- 1982: LP Bootleg Live Hamburg 1982
- 1983: LP Shards (DVP)
- 1985: LP Live in Berlin (Live I) (June 15 + 16, 1984 in the UFA-Fabrik) (DVP)
- 1986: Rio I. (November 1986)
- 1987: Stowaway (September 15, 1987)
- 1999: Live in the Seelenbinder-Halle, Berlin / GDR 1988
- 1990: *** (April 2, 1990)
- 1995: Heaven and Hell
- 1996: CD Live II (June 15 + 16, 1984 in the UFA-Fabrik) (DVP)
- 2001: CD selection I (new release of the LP from 1981, digitally revised, plus 3 bonus tracks) (eastwest)
- 2005: CD "18" - 18 songs from 15 years (best-of-sampler) (DVP)
- 2006: CD Live III - concert excerpts from 1982 in Hamburg and 1983/84 in Berlin (DVP)
- 2006: 13 CDs complete works (Die Box) : All 10 original CDs: remastered + partially remixed / 3 new CDs, including: "Singles, Demos, Rarities" with 6 unpublished songs / Many extras: 72-page booklet + all new covers (based on the old LP cover) + all original posters + new posters + broken star cut (DVP)
- 2015: The Complete Works - The Studio Albums , Vinyl Box Set (DVP)
Singles and Maxis
- 1970: 7 ″ single Macht kaputt what makes you broken / We strike (Label: Ton Steine Scherben)
- 1971: 7 ″ single alone they make you one / women are strong together (Flexi-Foil-Single, Siegfried Volkskrieg Production)
- 1971: 7 ″ single Mensch Meier / zero tariff (flexi-foil single, fare dodger production)
- 1979: 7 ″ single This is our country / Come quickly (David popular production)
- 1981: 7 ″ single Jenseits von Eden / Der Turmsturzein ( Decca - last German-language release on the Rolling Stones label )
- 1981: 12 ″ Maxi Jenseits von Eden (Remix) / Morgenlicht (Remix) (Decca)
- 1983: 7 ″ single Let us be a miracle / Hau ab (Teldec / David Volksmund Production )
- 1983: 12 ″ Maxi Let's be a miracle (radio edit) / Hau ab (Remix) / Bist Du's (extra long) (Teldec / David Volksmund Production)
- 1984: Dr. Summer (March 1984)
- 1986: Alles Lie (May 1986) - (guitar)
- 1986: Junimond (August 1986) - (guitar)
- 1986: Forever and You (November 1986) - (guitar)
- 1987: Stowaway (August 1987) - (guitar)
- 1988: Manager (January 1988) - (guitar)
- 1988: I Think of You (May 1988) - (guitar)
- 1989: Overnight (1989 - Tatort theme song Der Pott ) - (guitar)
Other recordings and publications
- 1969: Friday night demo tape / Baby-Baby
- 1979: Cassette Love Death Hysteria - TSS & collective Rote Rübe, theater music (Thorn apple)
- 1988: Album "Sternschnuppen" - Misha Schoeneberg , produced by Rio Reiser (David Volksmund Production)
- 1996: Live double CD Farewell to Rio (December 6, 1996; with Ton Steine Scherben etc.)
- 1996: Bootleg The dream is over (live recordings from 1982 to 1985 from Berlin, Hamburg, Munich and Kassel)
- 1999: Double CD / VHS / DVD Rio Reiser live in the Seelenbinder-Halle (Moebius Records)
- 2008: 5 CDs No Power for Nobody - The story of Ton Steine Scherben - audio book, spoken by Anke Colmorn and Marius del Mestre, approx. 5 hours 48 minutes (TSS-Family / Fuego / Klangfarben-Musikverlag / Indigo Musikproduktion GmbH)
- 2011: Album "Saturday afternoon" - by Nadine Germann published by Goldbek Rekords (guitarist for 4 pieces)
Theater and film music
- 1972: Moritz Tassow (Hacks)
- 1974: Martha the last passenger pigeon (Roberg)
- 1976: Paranoia (beetroot)
- 1977: man charm (scalded warmth)
- 1977: love, death and hysteria (beetroot)
- 1978: Nymphomania (scalded warmth)
- 1978: Transplantis (Transplantis)
- 1979: Meschugge (beetroot)
- 1979: The night with Chandler feature film
- 1980: Totally icy , feature film
- 1977: Johnny West , feature film, director: Roald Kollerm - (role: guitarist, band member)
- 1982: Hold on to your love festival , film portrait about clay stones shards (Lanrue and Rio) by Albrecht Metzger
- 1983: Alone they can make you. Germany. TV film about Today's Night or Never Tour of the Shards and Schroeder Roadshow , 285 minutes, director: Christian Wagner
- 1988: The Pott feature film (from the series Tatort )
- 2000: Shards in Friesland , film diary (45 min.) By Egon Heinrich Bunne about the rural domicile of the shards in Fresenhagen, interspersed with rare archive scenes from the years 1974 to 1978 - P: NDR
- 2009: Let's be a miracle - the search for Rio Reiser Director: Stefan Paul. Documentation; 90 min. With Udo Lindenberg, Corny Littman, Achim Reichel, Stefan Kunze, Claudia Roth, Daniel Cohn-Bendit, RPS Lanrue u. a. Published by Arsenal Filmverleih
- 2002: DVD Land in Sicht - Shards concert on May 30, 1983 in Offenbach - there was a limited first edition with a bonus CD and a 16-page booklet with all the lyrics of all the songs on the DVD
- 2005: Concert, videos, interviews (March 14, 2005; Live in the Seelenbinderhalle & all videos)
- Rio Reiser & Hannes Eyber: King of Germany . Kiepenheuer & Witsch, Cologne 1997, new edition Möbius Rekords, Berlin 2001, ISBN 3-00-007733-2 .
- Dirk Nishen (Ed.): Clay stones shards: stories, notes, texts and photos from 15 years . New edition David Volksmund Produktion, ISBN 978-3-00-021702-9 .
- Hartmut El Kurdi: Black and Red Pop Pearls . Wehrhahn Verlag , Hannover 2001, ISBN 3-932324-82-X .
- Kai Sichtermann & Jens Johler & Christian Stahl: No power for nobody . Schwarzkopf & Schwarzkopf, Berlin 2008, ISBN 978-3-896028-39-6 .
- Wolfgang Seidel: Shards. Music, politics and the effect of clay stones shards . Ventil Verlag, Mainz 2005, ISBN 3-931555-94-1 .
- Hollow Skai: All that and much more. Rio Reiser: the unofficial biography of the King of Germany . Heyne, Munich 2006, ISBN 3-453-12038-8 .
- Lisa Marie Langeloh: The Rauchhaus Song - Authentic reports from 1968 and the following years . Edition Querchanella, Hamburg 2015, ISBN 3-9817886-0-5
- David Popular Production & Publishing
- Clay stones shards
- RPS Lanrue in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Der König von Fresenhagen , Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung, August 8, 2010, No. 31, p. 4. Online
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Vernacular, David (pseudonym); Steitz, Ralph Peter (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German musician, founder of the German band Ton Steine Scherben|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 14, 1950|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Grenoble , France|