Zusmarshausen Castle is located in Zusmarshausen in the Augsburg district , around 23 kilometers west of Augsburg . It is a three-story building with a high hipped roof and is located at the southern end of the village.
The history of the castle is closely linked to the bishops of Augsburg. The building was built in 1505 by Prince-Bishop Heinrich IV von Lichtenau as the seat of the episcopal nursing office . Over the years the castle, which was owned by the Augsburg bishopric until secularization , has been rebuilt several times and expanded with ancillary buildings. A total of eleven bishops changed as lords of the castle. After 1803 it was initially used as an apartment for the district judge and later became the seat of the Zusmarshausen district office . From 1931 the forestry office in Zusmarshausen was quartered in the castle. It currently houses the Zusmarshausen forestry operation of the Bavarian State Forests .
- Karl Bosl (ed.): Handbook of the historical sites of Germany . Volume 7: Bavaria (= Kröner's pocket edition . Volume 277). 3. Edition. Kröner, Stuttgart 1981, ISBN 3-520-27703-4 .
- Jana Tallevi: A castle in the center. (No longer available online.) In: Augsburger Allgemeine. January 26, 2011, archived from the original on December 30, 2015 ; accessed on December 31, 2015 . Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Bernd-Peter Schaul: Monuments in Bavaria - Swabia . Oldenbourg Verlag, 1986, ISBN 3-4865-2398-8 , p. 143.
- enterprise. In: Public institutions. Zusmarshausen market, accessed on December 31, 2015 .
- Entry on Zusmarshausen in the private database "Alle Burgen".