Serhij Hontschar was known as a first-class time trial and also had strengths on the mountain. In 1996 he started as a professional at Ideal . He changed the team almost every year. He drove for Cantina Tollo , Vini Caldirola and Fassa Bortolo, among others . In 2005 he drove in the UCI Pro Tour for Domina Vacanze before moving to the German T-Mobile team in 2006 .
His great successes include victory at the road cycling world championships in 2000 in the individual time trial, second place in the overall ranking of the Giro d'Italia 2004 and the multiple Ukrainian championship in road racing and time trial. At the Giro d'Italia 2006 he was allowed to drive from T-Mobile on his own account and after the fifth stage he conquered the overall leader's Maglia Rosa , which he wore for two days.
His multiple participations in the Tour de France were crowned with two successes in 2006. In 2006 he was supposed to be one of the important helpers for Jan Ullrich in the fight for the second victory in the Tour de France ; after Ullrich's suspension, he became one of the captains of the T-Mobile team. With a clear victory in the first time trial, he also won the yellow jersey . Although he was unable to defend his jersey in the Pyrenees and the Alps, winning the second time trial on the penultimate day of the tour underscored his exceptional position as a time trial specialist.
Honchar is not free from doping suspicions. In 1999 he was excluded from the Tour de Suisse because his hematocrit value was over 50, in 2001 he was again suspected during the Giro d'Italia and was allowed to continue the tour, but was subsequently suspended by his Liquigas team . However, the use of unauthorized means could never be specifically proven. On May 11, 2007, he was suspended for 30 days after unannounced blood tests during the Tour de Romandie . In June 2007 he was dismissed with immediate effect for "violating the team's internal code of conduct". In early 2010 he ended his career after not finding a new team.
- World time trial champion 2000
- 2nd overall ranking Giro d'Italia 2004
- 5 stage wins Giro d'Italia
- Ukrainian road race champion 2003
- Ukrainian time trial champion 1996, 1998, 2000 to 2002
- Winner Lombard Week 2001
- Winner of the Maglia Rosa at the Giro d'Italia 2006
- Winner of both individual time trials ( 7th and 19th stage ) and therefore also holder of the yellow jersey in the 2006 Tour de France for three stages
- 1996 ideal
- 1997 Aki-Safi
- 1998 Cantina Tollo
- 1999 Vini Caldirola
- 2000-2001 Liquigas
- 2002 Fassa Bortolo
- 2003 De Nardi
- 2004 De Nardi
- 2005 Domina Vacanze
- 2006–2007 T-Mobile team
- 2008 Preti Mangimi
- 2009 Team Corratec
- Serhij Hontschar in the Radsportseiten.net database
- Serhij Hontschar in the database of Sports-Reference (English; archived from the original )
- Serhij Hontschar in the Tour de France database(French / English )
- Honchar retires, set to lead Ukrainian National Team. February 19, 2010, accessed December 13, 2013 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Honchar, Serhiy (English transcription); Сергій Гончар (Ukrainian)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Ukrainian cyclist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||3rd July 1970|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Rivne|