A software company (also software manufacturer , software producer , software provider or software provider ) is a company in the software branch or software industry that deals with the programming and marketing of software such as B. employ operating systems , computer programs and application programs .
Special game software companies have specialized in the computer and console games market , while other software manufacturers program individual software , industry-specific software or supply the global market with standard software for personal computers . A special group of software providers has also developed for the enterprise application integration market .
Publishers or software publishers act as software providers and, as such, often take on the special tasks associated with the publication and marketing of everything to do with the marketing and sale of software products.
Standard software company market in Germany
In 2011, the following providers largely determined the German market for standard software:
|rank||Companies||Sales in Germany in million euros||Number of employees in Germany|
|1||Microsoft Germany GmbH *)||2,800.0||2,700|
|3||Oracle Germany BV & Co. KG *)||1,060.0||2,500|
|5||CompuGroup Medical AG||195.9||1,576|
|6th||Adobe Systems GmbH *)||190.0||250|
|8th||Novell GmbH *) 1)||140.0||400|
|9||Infor Global Solutions Deutschland GmbH *)||135.0||890|
|10||SAS Germany GmbH *)||128.0||500|
- *) Sales and / or employee numbers are partially estimated
- 1) Including Austria and Switzerland as well as Suse Linux GmbH and NetIQ
Inclusion in this ranking is subject to precisely defined criteria. More than 60 percent of sales have to be generated with standard software production, sales and maintenance. This ensures that only companies are listed whose core business is located in the market under consideration.
For the purpose of creating and maintaining software, software companies employ computer scientists from various areas of software technology . These are, for example, software developers , software architects or software testers .
A large number of software companies can still be found in American Silicon Valley . The largest software manufacturers worldwide include companies such as Microsoft , IBM , SAP and Oracle . As an Independent Software Vendor refers to software manufacturers who produce their products develop independently of the dominant industry giants and market.
The ten largest software providers worldwide according to the Software Top 100 .:
|rank||company||Head office||2008 revenue from software activities ($ million)||Total Revenue ($ million)||Employee|
|8th||Activision Blizzard||United States||4,622||5,032||7,000|
|9||Electronic Arts||United States||4,268||4,268||9,000|
The 11 largest European software providers according to the Truffle Report 2010 .:
|rank||company||Head office||2009 sales from software activities (€ million)||Total sales (€ million)||Employee in development|
|13||Sopra Group / Axway||FR||320||1,094||1,000|
- Lünendonk List 2012: Leading Standard Software Companies in Germany (PDF; 218 kB)
- softwaretop100.org ( Memento of the original from January 19, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Truffle Ranking 2010 ( Memento of the original from November 22, 2010 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF file; 365 kB), 2009, (Title: Ranking of the Top 100 European Software Vendors )