|Geographical location||62 ° 19 ′ 53 ″ N , 6 ° 31 ′ 13 ″ W|
|Residents||590 (September 1, 2016)
14 inhabitants / km²
Viðoy [ ˈviːɔi ] ( Danish Viderø ) is one of the 18 islands in the Faroe Islands and there the second largest of the six northern islands .
A total of almost 600 people live on the 41 square kilometer island, spread over two communities , on the one hand the community Viðareiði , also the capital of the island, with 347 inhabitants. and on the other hand the community Hvannasund , of which only the actual place Hvannasund with its 236 inhabitants. lies on Viðoy.
The name of the island comes from Faroese viður = wood. Viðoy means wooden island . This is due to the driftwood that can be found in large quantities in Viðvík Bay on the east coast. In the treeless Faroe Islands, it used to be an important source of the coveted building material.
Viðoy has 11 peaks, including the 841 meter high Villingadalsfjall , which is the highest peak on the island and also the third highest mountain in the Faroe Islands. This mountain is only overlooked by the Slættaratindur and the Gráfelli on Eysturoy. The cape enniberg (754 m) on the northern tip Viðoys not only forms the northernmost point of the Faroe Islands, but also the highest cliff in the world.
Viðoy has been connected to the neighboring island of Borðoy to the west by a road embankment from Hvannasund to Norðdepil since 1963 , where the regional metropolis of Klaksvík is located. The Ritan ferry also runs from Hvannasund to the offshore islands of Fugloy and Svínoy (ferry line 58 Hvannasund-Hattarvik). The Ritan has the old ferry in 2010 Masin who replaced on this route. Since autumn 2016 there has also been a tunnel connection between the two places on the island, the so-called Viðareiðistunnilin .
- Faroeislands.dk: Viðareiði (in English, info. And photos)
- Faroeislands.dk: Hvannasund (in English, info. And photos)
- 500 Klaksvík - Viðareiði , ssl.fo (timetable for the bus connection from Klaksvík to Viðoy Island)
- 58-Hvannasund-Hattarvik , ssl.fo (timetable of the ferry connection from Viðoy (Hvannasund) to the islands of Svínoy and Fugloy.)
- ↑ 590 people lived on the island in September 2016: Størsti fólkavøkstur í einum ári síðani skjálvtarnar eftir stóra skrædlið fyrst í 1990-unum , hagstova.fo, October 13, 2016