life and work
Werner Nekes grew up in Duisburg-Hamborn and went to school in Oberhausen and Mülheim (Ruhr) . From 1963 he studied linguistics and psychology in Freiburg and Bonn, where he ran a student film club. In 1965 he began to make his first experimental films with 8 mm and then 16 mm films . He met Dore O. , who was still painting at the time , they moved to Hamburg and married in 1967. Dore O. was involved in most of his films by v. a. involved as an actress and also began to make her own experimental films. Together with Franz Winzentsen , Helmut Herbst , Thomas Struck , Klaus Wyborny and Heinz Emigholz , they founded the Filmmacher-Cooperative Hamburg.
In 1968 his 10-minute short film schwarzhuhnbraunhuhnschwarzhuhnweißhuhnrothuhnweiß or put-putt received the international film award in São Paulo . In 1969 he received a Bambi for his previous work. and in the following year the film tape in silver for jüm-jüm (1967). In 1972, films by Werner Nekes were shown at Documenta 5 in Kassel in the "Filmschau: New European Cinema" section.
In 1980 he made his first feature film with Uliisses . 1986 was Nekes' today most tester film, the hit film - parody Johnny Flash with Helge Schneider as ascending pop star in the lead role. Christoph Schlingensief was involved as a unit manager, camera assistant and actor. They met in 1982. Both taught at the Hochschule für Gestaltung in Offenbach (1982–1984). At the beginning of the 1970s, Nekes already held a professorship for experimental film at the Hamburg University of Fine Arts (1970–1972). Werner Nekes was a professor at the Art Academy for Media in Cologne from 1990 to 1996.
Nekes collected everything that has to do with the prehistory of the film, such as optical toys, lanternae magicae , panoptics and much more, the techniques of which he also used in his films. Over the years he has compiled an extensive collection of international importance, which has already been exhibited several times and in books, the television series Media Magica (1996) and in Nekes' documentary What Happened Really Between the Pictures? (1985) was documented.
Attempts to present this collection in a permanent exhibition have so far failed. The last project so far was to show the collection in a disused water tower on the site of the former state horticultural show in Mülheim. A camera obscura has been in the tower since 1992 .
In 2009 Werner Nekes was accepted into the class of arts at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts .
Werner Nekes last lived in Mülheim an der Ruhr .
- 1967: jüm-jüm
- 1968: black chicken brown chicken black chicken white chicken red chicken white or put-putt
- 1973: Divan
- 1976: Lagado
- 1978: Mirador
- 1979: Hurrycan
- 1982: Uliisses
- 1985: What Really Happened Between the Pictures?
- 1986: Johnny Flash
- 1991: Candida
- 1997: Painter's Day
- 1969: Bambi for the whole work
- 1970: Film tape in silver for jüm-jüm
- 1972: Special prize at the IFF Mannheim for T-WO-MEN
- 1974: Ruhr Prize for Art and Science
- 1975: Silver film tape for hynningen
- 1981: German Film Critics' Prize for Beuys
- 1984: German Critics' Prize for Uliisses
- 2014: Helen Hill Award
- Literature by and about Werner Nekes in the catalog of the German National Library
- Werner Nekes in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Materials by and about Werner Nekes in the documenta archive
- Werner Nekes at the North Rhine-Westphalian Academy of Sciences and Arts
- Neke's film "Hynningen" (1975) on www.ubu.com
- Official website of Werner Nekes
- Werner Nekes at filmportal.de
- Archive link ( Memento of the original from January 13, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was automatically inserted and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. See bambi.de
- Werner Nekes on the website of the documenta archive
- Review and video clip in media art network
- Nekes also had a short appearance in Helge Schneider's film 00 Schneider - Hunt for Nihil Baxter in 1994 , as a man with swimming trunks and swimming rings.
- Johnny Flash at filmportal.de
- http://wernernekes.de/00_cms/cms/front_content.php?idcat=74 Exhibitions with works from the collection on Nekes' HomepageNekes
- Der Wunderkammerspieler in FAZ from January 25, 2017, page 9.
- 2006 the Museum of the Prehistory of Film was opened there.
- Media Art Net: Media Art Net | Nekes, Werner: ULIISSES. April 24, 2020, accessed April 24, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German film director|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 29, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Erfurt|
|DATE OF DEATH||22nd January 2017|
|Place of death||Mülheim an der Ruhr|