A ballet company (also ballet company , ballet ensemble or corps de ballet ) is a tightly knit group of trained professional dancers , mostly at an opera house or theater , who regularly perform previously rehearsed ballets . As is customary in theater, a distinction can be made between seasonal performances and repertoire pieces.
The author of the respective ballet is called a choreographer .
The term "corps de ballet" is mainly used in connection with ballet companies at opera houses. The Corps de Ballet is responsible there for the design of dance in the performances of operas and operettas .
In addition to the ballet company, which deals with classical ballet, the term dance ensemble is also used. A dance ensemble generally deals with the performance of stage dance . Thus a ballet company is a special case of a dance ensemble.
Ballet companies by country (selection)
- Sorbian National Ensemble , Bautzen
- State Ballet Berlin , Berlin
- Ballet at the Dortmund Theater
- Semperoper Ballet , Dresden
- The Forsythe Company , Dresden / Frankfurt am Main
- Ballet company of the Deutsche Oper am Rhein , Düsseldorf / Duisburg
- Aalto Ballet, Aalto-Theater Essen
- Hamburg Ballet , Hamburg
- Ballet Ensemble Lower Saxony State Theater Hanover
- Badisches Staatsballett Badisches Staatstheater Karlsruhe
- Leipzig Ballet , Leipzig Opera
- Ballet Magdeburg, Theater Magdeburg , Magdeburg
- Ballettmainz , State Theater Mainz
- Bavarian State Ballet , Munich
- TanzTheaterMünchen , Staatstheater am Gärtnerplatz , Munich (artistic director: Hans Henning Paar)
- Ballet of the Saarland State Theater / Donlon Dance Company, Saarbrücken
- Stuttgart Ballet , Stuttgart
- Ballet Nacional de Cuba , Havana
- Ballet ensemble of the Vienna State Opera , Vienna
- Ballet ensemble of the Salzburg State Theater , Salzburg
- Kirov Ballet , Saint Petersburg
- Bolshoi Ballet , Moscow
- Perm Ballet , Perm
- Kremlin Ballet , Moscow
- Russian State Ballet , Moscow
- Zurich Ballet , Zurich