|Canton :||Basel-Country (BL)|
|BFS no. :||2882|
|Postal code :||4431|
|Height range :||483-1041 m above sea level M.|
|Area :||6.53 km²|
|Residents:||664 (December 31, 2018)|
|Population density :||102 inhabitants per km²|
|Location of the municipality|
Bennwil lies at 515 m above sea level. M. in a valley between the Waldenburgertal and the Diegtertal in the southeast of the canton. Its neighboring communities are Hölstein , Niederdorf , Oberdorf , Langenbruck , Eptingen and Diegten .
The village was founded by the Alemanni in the 8th century . The place was first mentioned as Bendewilere in 1189 and was given to the Benedictine monastery Schöntal near Langenbruck by Count Hermann II von Frohburg . When the monastery was closed in 1528, the village passed to Basel. On April 29, 1617, the church, 8 houses and two barns burned down to their foundations and were rebuilt.
coat of arms
A silver, nimbly Agnus Dei on a blue background, holding the shouldered victory flag with the left forefoot: On a golden pole ending in a cross, a silver banner with a red cross ending in two corners. The coat of arms recalls the former relationship with Schönthal Abbey .
Agriculture is still the mainstay of this community and thanks to its unspoilt nature it is also in a popular hiking area.
- Church, rebuilt in 1670
- Brass baptismal font (15th century) from Schöntal Abbey
- Spitteler monument from 1948, an erratic block from the Valais Alps . The father of the Liestal- born poet and Nobel Prize winner Carl Spitteler came from the community
- Historical Spycher (granary) from Basel from the period between 1543 and 1566
- Village museum
- Axel Christoph Gampp, Sabine Sommerer: The art monuments of the canton Basel-Landschaft IV. The district Waldenburg. (= Art Monuments of Switzerland. Volume 124). Edited by the Society for Swiss Art History , Bern 2014, ISBN 978-3-03797-115-4 .
- Official website of the community of Bennwil
- Bennwil community at www.baselland.ch
- Antonia Schmidlin: Bennwil. In: Historical Lexicon of Switzerland .
- Permanent and non-permanent resident population by year, canton, district, municipality, population type and gender (permanent resident population). In: bfs. admin.ch . Federal Statistical Office (FSO), August 31, 2019, accessed on December 22, 2019 .