Chiclayo on the map of Peru
|City foundation||16th century|
|- in the metropolitan area||552.508|
|City structure||29 distritos|
|Time zone||UTC -5|
|City Presidency||Marco Gasco Arrobas
|Nickname: La Ciudad de la Amistad ( The City of Friendship )|
Chiclayo is a city in the northwest of the South American Andean state of Peru and the capital of the Lambayeque region . The city is located in the district of the same name in the province of Chiclayo . The population was 270,208 at the 2017 census, 10 years earlier it was 260,794. The population of the Chiclayo metropolitan area was 552,508 in 2017.
Chiclayo is located about 20 km from the Pacific coast on the Panamericana and has an airport that is named after the Peruvian pilot and hero Captain José Abelardo Quiñones Gonzales . The city has been the seat of the Diocese of Chiclayo since 1956 .
The city of Chiclayo was founded in 1560 and on April 18, 1835, General Felipe Santiago de Salaverry made it the capital of the Lambayeque region. The city is nicknamed the “Capital of Friendship” (“Capital de la amistad”).
Chiclayo was overshadowed by the former provincial capital Lambayeque for a long time before it experienced an economic boom in the 19th century.
In November 2007 archaeologists discovered wall paintings around 4000 years old near Chiclayo. These are the oldest paintings discovered in America to date.
The city is located in the middle of an intensely agricultural area (watered by the Tinajones reservoir ). Chiclayo is the northern focus of sugar cane processing and a base for the dairy industry. This is where the milk is processed, which is produced in the cool climate of the Cajamarca Valley in the Andes . Other crops in the Chiclayo area are cotton and rice .
Attractions near the city
There are numerous pyramids of the Mochica culture in the area around Chiclayo . In addition to two pyramids in Sipán, 30 km east of Chiclayo ( Huaca Rajada ), important royal tombs of the Mochica culture were laid. Since 1987 16 graves with valuable objects have been excavated there. a. made of gold, silver, shells, lapis lazuli and clay. The latest grave finds are exhibited on site in Sipán in the Museo del Sitio , the spectacular first finds, u. a. the Lord of Sipán , are exhibited in the Museo Tumbas Reales del Señor de Sipán , which is located in Chiclayo's northern neighbor Lambayeque.
sons and daughters of the town
- Esteban Canal (1896–1981), chess player
- Luis Castañeda Lossio (* 1945), Mayor of Lima
- German Meneses Vogl (* 1945), German sociologist and politician
- Marco Antonio Cortez Lara (* 1957), Bishop of Tacna y Moquegua
- Héctor Eduardo Vera Colona (* 1962), Bishop of Ica
- Christoph-Mathias Mueller (* 1967), Swiss composer and conductor
- Roberto Merino Ramírez (* 1982), football player
- Yordy Reyna (* 1993), football player
Average monthly temperatures and rainfall for Chiclayo
- Peru: Lambayeque Region - Provinces & Places . www.citypopulation.de. Retrieved December 19, 2019.
- Perú: Perfil Sociodemográfico (PDF, 27.4 MB) Instituo Nacional de Estadistica e Informatica (INEI). August 2018. Retrieved December 19, 2019.