Ernst Eduard Hirsch
Live and act
Ernst Eduard Hirsch (also: Ernst E. Hirsch) studied economics and law at the universities of Frankfurt am Main , Munich and Giessen . His doctorate in Gießen in 1924 was followed by his habilitation in Frankfurt am Main in 1930 .
In January 1931, Hirsch was appointed district and district court advisor and thus a judge for life in Frankfurt am Main and at the same time worked as a private lecturer .
In March 1933 he was dismissed from office because of his Jewish origins. In October 1933 he followed a call from Istanbul University to the chair of commercial law. There he read Ernest Mamboury's first in-depth travel guide to Istanbul, which had recently been published . After acquiring Turkish citizenship in 1943, he moved to Ankara University , where he taught not only commercial law, but also legal philosophy and legal sociology . In addition to his teaching activities, he devoted himself to building the law faculty library in Istanbul , which he reported in his autobiography. There was already a library there, but it consisted of specialist literature on Ottoman law in Arabic script, but not on the law of the Republic of Turkey, founded in 1923, and international law.
In the nearly two decades of academic activity in Turkey, Hirsch published numerous monographs and standard textbooks. His conceptual work and his legislative work should be emphasized; He provided draft laws and concepts for the Turkish commercial code, stock corporation law, university law and copyright and inventor law legislation.
Hirsch, who had lost many relatives in Auschwitz , originally wanted to stay in Turkey. Berlin's governing mayor Ernst Reuter - himself an emigrant in Turkey (1935–1945) and Hirsch's colleague in Ankara - was able to convince him in 1952 to accept a professorship for commercial law and legal sociology at the Free University of Berlin . Between 1953 and 1955 Ernst Hirsch was elected rector and prorector of the Free University of Berlin.
After his return to Germany, his German citizenship, which had been withdrawn from him by the Eleventh Ordinance on the Reich Citizenship Act at the latest, was restored, but he also kept his Turkish passport until his death.
The first Kati Hirschel novel by Esmahan Aykol was published in 2001 . The author has ascribed her fictional Istanbul crime book dealer biographical roots, which make very clear reference to the real biography of Ernst Eduard Hirsch . Hirsch's biography, conveyed by his son Enver Tandogan, is also part of the documentary HAYMATLOZ, which was completed in 2015 . Exile in Turkey by Eren Önsöz .
In 1982 he was awarded the Cross of Merit, 1st Class .
- The legal term commission in French and international bill of exchange law . Elwert, Marburg 1930.
- On the spirit and law of the university. Academic speeches . Free University of Berlin 1955.
- Introduction to civil property law. For students of economics and social sciences . Vahlen, Berlin 1956 (6th edition 1975).
- Guide to studying commercial and company law. Vahlen, Berlin 1956 (5th edition 1970).
- Control of economic power. Three lectures on the German law against restraints of competition . Stämpfli, Berlin 1958.
- The law in the social order. Contributions to the sociology of law . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1966.
- Practical cases from commercial and business law with solutions . 4th ed. Vahlen, Berlin 1968.
- Human rights and fundamental freedoms in a state of emergency. A case study about Turkey and the agitation of "strictly apolitical" international organizations . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1974, ISBN 3-428-03054-0 .
- On the legal dimension of conscience and the inviolability of the judge's freedom of conscience. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1979, ISBN 3-428-04369-3 .
- Reception as a social process. Explained using Turkey as an example. Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1981, ISBN 3-428-05047-9 .
- Turkish law before German courts. Expert opinions and treatises on Turkish commercial and civil law . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1981, ISBN 3-428-04828-8 .
- From the times of the emperor through the Weimar Republic to the land of Ataturk. An outdated autobiography by J. Schweitzer, Munich 1982, ISBN 3-88709-027-6 . New edition 1990.
Legal sociology for lawyers. A collection of essays . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1984, ISBN 3-428-05672-8 .
- As a shortened new edition under the title: As a legal scholar in the land of Ataturk . Foreword by Jutta Limbach , introduction by Reiner Möckelmann , afterword by Enver Tandogan Hirsch, Berliner Wissenschafts-Verlag 2008, ISBN 978-3-8305-1533-3 . (Compared to the first edition, the childhood and youth years are missing.)
- Reviews of the new edition on the book page of the publisher's website. 
- Manfred Rehbinder : Ernst E. Hirsch . In: Archive for Copyright, Film, Radio and Theater Law (UFITA) . tape 101 , 1985, pp. 10 . [Obituary]
- Martin Killias (Ed.): Legal history and legal sociology. On the relationship between law, crime and society from a historical perspective. Ernst E. Hirsch (1902-1985) in memory . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1985, ISBN 3-428-05938-7 .
- Berliner Festschrift for Ernst E. Hirsch / presented by members of the Law Faculty on the occasion of his 65th birthday . Duncker & Humblot, Berlin 1968.
- Literature by and about Ernst Eduard Hirsch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Entry by Ernst Hirsch at the Free University of Berlin
- GK Reiner Möckelmann (ed.): Exile and educational reform: German law professors in Turkey from 1933. Discussion evening at the German Consulate General on November 29, 2005
- Audio (25.38 MB / mp3 file) from SWR2 (broadcast on March 3, 2017) about Ernst Eduard Hirsch. His son Enver Tandogan also has a say.
- Hilmar Krüger: In memory of Ernst E. Hirsch (1902–1985) . In: Die Welt des Islams , Vol. 26 (1986), pp. 141–153, here p. 143.
- Ernst E. Hirsch: As a legal scholar in the land of Ataturk. Berlin 2008, p. 42.
- Ernst E. Hirsch: As a legal scholar in the land of Ataturk. Berlin 2008, pp. 85-91.
- Barclay: Look at this city. Pp. 152-155. Brandt, Löwenthal: Ernst Reuter. Pp. 291-295.
- Esmahan Aykol on Krimi-Couch.de
- HAYMATLOZ - The Film
|SURNAME||Hirsch, Ernst Eduard|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hirş, Ernest|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German lawyer and legal sociologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 20, 1902|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Friedberg (Hesse)|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 29, 1985|
|Place of death||Königsfeld in the Black Forest|