Ziegler began after graduating from high school in 1981 at the Ernst-Mach-Gymnasium in Haar with the study of mathematics and physics at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich . After three years at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Cambridge (1984 to 1987) he received his doctorate in 1987 at MIT with Anders Björner with the thesis Algebraic Combinatorics of Hyperplane Arrangements . He was 1987-1991 research assistant of Martin Grötschel at the University of Augsburg and graduated from 1991 to 1992, a year of research in the field of combinatorics on Mittag-Leffler Institute in Sweden Djursholm on. In 1992 he was at the Technical University of Berlin habilitation ; From 1992 to 1994 he worked (together with Martin Grötschel) as head of the "Combinatorial Optimization" department at the Konrad Zuse Center for Information Technology Berlin and as a private lecturer at the TU Berlin. From 1995 to 2011 he was Professor of Mathematics at the TU Berlin, and since 2011 he has been Professor of Mathematics at the Free University of Berlin.
From 1993 to 2000 Ziegler was a lecturer at the DFG graduate school “Algorithmic Discrete Mathematics” and between 2000 and 2005 as a lecturer at the European graduate school “Combinatorics, Geometry, and Computation”. During this time, in 2001, he received the most valuable German science prize, the Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize . Since 2006, Ziegler has been the spokesperson for the Graduate School “Methods for Discrete Structures”. In 2006 and 2007 he was spokesperson for the Graduate School Berlin Mathematical School , and has been deputy spokesperson since then. He is also a member of the DFG Research Center Matheon and the German Academy of Science and Engineering (Acatech) .
On May 2, 2018, he was elected as the successor to Peter-André Alt as President of the university with 39 of 61 votes cast in the extended academic senate of the Free University of Berlin .
From 1997 to 2000 Ziegler was a member of the board of the German Mathematicians Association (DMV) and editor of the DMV's communications. From 2006 to 2008 he was its President and in 2008 in a coordinating role with the organization of the Science Year of Mathematics .
Together with Martin Aigner he wrote The BOOK of Evidence , originally in English under the title Proofs from THE BOOK, in which, inspired by Paul Erdős , who jokingly spoke of such an ideal book in God's possession, various evidences that are characterized by elegance above all are collected for combinatorics. For this book he and Martin Aigner received the Leroy P. Steele Prize 2018 for Mathematical Exposition from the American Mathematical Society.
In 2012, in protest against the pricing policy of the Elsevier publishing house, he ended his co-editing of the journals European Journal of Combinatorics and Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series A.
In the messages of the DMV he publishes the column Mathematics in everyday life.
From July 1, 2016 to July 1, 2018, Ziegler was Chair of the Berlin Mathematical School .
Honors, awards and memberships
- Gold medal at the International Mathematical Olympiad , 1981
- Scholarship to the German National Academic Foundation , 1981
- Gay Bookstore Literature Prize for Fragments of a Legend, 1993
- Gerhard Hess Prize of the German Research Foundation (DFG) , 1994
- Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize of the DFG, 2001
- In 2002 he was invited speaker at the International Congress of Mathematicians in Beijing (Face numbers of 4-polytopes and 3-spheres).
- 2005 Gauss lecture at DMV
- Chauvenet Prize of the Mathematical Association of America (MAA) (together with Florian Pfender), 2006
- Communicator Prize , 2008
- Member of the Leopoldina since 2009
- He is a fellow of the American Mathematical Society .
- Hector Science Award and member of the Hector Fellow Academy , 2013
- In 2014 he was invited speaker at the ICM in Seoul (Teaching and learning "What is Mathematics") and a member of the selection committee for the Fields Medals awarded this year.
- 2017 Berlin Science Award
- Lectures on Polytopes (= Graduate Texts in Mathematics . 152). Springer, New York NY et al. 1995, ISBN 0-387-94365-X .
- With Martin Aigner: Proofs from THE BOOK. Springer, Berlin et al. 1998, ISBN 3-540-63698-6 (6th edition. Ibid 2018, ISBN 978-3-662-57264-1 ).
- As editor with Ehrhard Behrends , Peter Gritzmann : π & Co. Kaleidoskop der Mathematik. Springer, Berlin et al. 2008, ISBN 978-3-540-77888-2 .
- Can i pay? Stories from mathematics. Piper, Munich et al. 2010, ISBN 978-3-492-05346-4 .
- Mathematics - that's no art! Albrecht Knaus, Munich 2013, ISBN 978-3-8135-0584-9 .
- With Rade T. Živaljević: Homotopy types of subspace arrangements via diagrams of spaces. In: Mathematical Annals . Volume 295, No. 3, 1993, pp. 527-548 .
- Generalized Kneser coloring theorems with combinatorial proofs. In: Inventiones Mathematicae . Volume 147, No. 3, 2002, pp. 671-691, doi : 10.1007 / s002220100188 .
- With Bruno Benedetti: On locally constructible spheres and balls. In: Acta Mathematica . Volume 206, No. 2, 2011, pp. 205-243, ( online ).
- With Karim A. Adiprasito : Many projectively unique polytopes. In: Inventiones Mathematicae. Volume 199, No. 3, 2015, pp. 581-652, doi : 10.1007 / s00222-014-0519-y .
- With Pavle VM Blagojević, Benjamin Matschke: Optimal bounds for the colored Tverberg problem. In: Journal of the European Mathematical Society. Volume 17, No. 4, 2015, pp. 739-754, doi : 10.4171 / JEMS / 516 .
- Literature by and about Günter Ziegler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Website by Günter Ziegler at the Free University of Berlin.
- Appreciation of the DFG for the award of the Leibniz Prize. ( Memento from June 24, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- Christoph Drösser : A slightly different nerd. Portrait in DIE ZEIT No. 38 from 13 September 2007.
- Philipp Schwenke: »I'm interested in corners and edges«. Interview in ZEIT campus, No. 04/2010.
- A face for math. In: Online magazine campus.leben of the Free University of Berlin, March 14, 2011.
- Ziegler's formula. In: Tagesspiegel from February 15, 2018, accessed on February 20, 2018.
- Katharina Gotzler: German U15 congratulates newly elected FU President. 2018.
- CV of Günter Ziegler
- Günter Ziegler in the Mathematics Genealogy Project (English)
- Mathematician Ziegler becomes the new FU President. Berliner Morgenpost , May 2, 2018, archived from the original on June 26, 2018 .
- 2018 Steele Prize for Mathematical Exposition
- Boycott Elsevier! I'm boycotting Elsevier! 19th February 2012.
- Member by Günter Ziegler (with picture) at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on June 27, 2016.
- Leopoldina: Newly elected members 2009. (PDF).
- Awarding of the Hector Science Prize
- Founding the Hector Fellow Academy
- Former Prize Committees. International Mathematical Union , September 8, 2014, archived from the original on July 6, 2016 ; Retrieved July 6, 2016 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Ziegler, Günter M.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 19, 1963|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|