Kahl is known to a larger audience as a representative of the comic art , especially through his satirical illustrations. His cartoons, pictures and picture stories appeared and appear in pardon , specifically , Titanic , Kowalski , stern , Süddeutsche Zeitung , Der Feinschmecker and Natur , among others .
In 1994 the Wilhelm Busch Museum in Hanover showed a large solo exhibition. In 1995 the gallery for comic art Caricatura opened in Kassel with the exhibition of 121 masterpieces - Ernst Kahl and art . The Caricatura Museum in Frankfurt am Main is showing an exhibition entitled "Forgotten Catastrophes" from February 7th to May 12th, 2019 on Ernst Kahl's 70th birthday. A catalog was published by Verlag Kunstmann (Munich) under ISBN 978-3-95614-311-3 .
Book publications (selection)
- Bestiary perverse. Volume 1. Galgenberg, Hamburg 1985, ISBN 3925387021
- Ernst Kahl's Animal Life: An Animal Eroticon. Haffmans, Zurich 1996, ISBN 3251002694
- Ernst Kahls Tafelspitzen: culinary mishaps and other delicacies. Kein & Aber, Zurich 2001, ISBN 3036952012
- The Last Bestiary Perversum , 2005, ISBN 3036952306
- Cheers meal! Kein & Aber, Zurich 2010, ISBN 9783036952789
In addition to his publications as lead author, numerous books have been published since 1983 in which he was involved as an illustrator, including children's books, non-fiction books and volumes of poetry.
Music albums / singles
With guitarist Hardy Kayser as the duo "Ernst Kahl & Kayser":
- There is still a light on in the fridge (1996)
- The cowboy is crying (2000)
- Fresh every day (2001, with Eva Muggenthaler)
Also with the guitarist Hardy Kaiser, as a duo "Die trinkende Jugend", the single:
In 1997, Kahl's sculpture The Bride of the Mason was installed in front of the Kassel Kulturbahnhof as part of Caricatura III . The wall, a good two meters high, has a vertical opening at waist height on its front side; the artist himself referred to it as an "erotic sculpture". It was considered to be the answer to Documenta 10, which did without lavish outdoor art .
As a director and screenwriter:
- Archie (1994, short film)
- The Lober (1996, short film)
- Everybody Glad in Trinidad (1996, short film)
As a screenwriter:
- Werner - tough! (1990), with Rötger Feldmann
- We can do it differently ... (1993), with Detlev Buck
- The three girls from the gas station (1997)
As an actor:
- A song of love and death - Gloomy Sunday (1999), in the role of the cartoonist Ferenc Torresz
Prizes and awards
- 1989: 1st prize in the Cartoonale competition , advertised by the Kunstmuseum Düsseldorf
- 1992: Award of the Art Directors Club Germany for "Kahls Tafelspitzen" - cartoons published regularly in the magazine Der Feinschmecker
- 1993: Federal Film Prize for the screenplay for We can also be different ... (with Detlev Buck)
- 1995: Nomination for the German Short Film Award for Archie
- 2007: Göttingen Elch for his life's work
- 2011: Wilhelm Busch Prize
- 2014: Sondermann Prize for comic art
- Literature by and about Ernst Kahl in the catalog of the German National Library
- Ernst Kahl in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Ernst-Kahl.de - own website
- Caricatura archive
- Portrait from Kulturnews, 1997
Individual references, footnotes
- Anika Riegert: Ernst Kahl - he paints culinary table tops. In: Hamburger Abendblatt of July 21, 2004, accessed on August 13, 2014.
- Thomas Stillbauer: The magician of the unthinkable . In: Frankfurter Rundschau of February 7, 2019, pp. D 4- D5.
- The drinking youth. Retrieved December 27, 2019 .
- The Göttinger Elch 2007
- Winner of the Wilhelm Busch Prize: Wilhelm Busch Prize 2011. In: wilhelm-busch-preis.de. Retrieved October 12, 2017.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German cartoonist, painter, singer, filmmaker|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 11, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||near Kiel|