Fritz Keller (football official)
Friedrich Walter "Fritz" Keller (born April 2, 1957 in Freiburg im Breisgau ) is a German winemaker , wine merchant, restaurateur , hotelier and football official . He has been the 13th President of the German Football Association since September 27, 2019 .
Fritz Keller is the son of Franz Keller Senior and his wife Irma from the family of winemakers and restaurateurs in Oberbergen am Kaiserstuhl . His older brother is the chef Franz Keller . His godfather is Fritz Walter , after whom he was named.
The family of winegrowers and restaurateurs runs a winery in addition to the “Schwarzer Adler” restaurant, which was awarded a Michelin star in 1969 by his mother Irma and has been continuously awarded a Michelin star until 2019 . Fritz Keller and his wife Bettina have been running the Franz Keller winery in the third generation since 1990 . Then he took over the import of exclusive wines, mainly from Bordeaux and Burgundy . Then came the hotel, which is a member of L'Art de Vivre Residences , as well as the “Winzerhaus Rebstock”, a typical Baden restaurant, and in 2013, with the construction of the new winery, the “Kellerwirtschaft” restaurant was added.
As an “ambassador for Baden's wine culture”, Keller won international recognition with its wines. Keller was Vice President of the Sommelier Union Germany for twenty years and initiated the establishment of the Sommelier Colleges.
Keller had been Marketing Director at the Bundesliga soccer club SC Freiburg since 1994 . From 2010 he was the first chairman of the association and from October 2014 - after an amendment to the statutes - its president.
A selection committee proposed Keller for election as the new President of the German Football Association in August 2019 . On September 27, 2019, he was unanimously elected President by the DFB Bundestag after he had resigned as President of SC Freiburg.
In December 2019, he criticized the awarding of the World Cup to Qatar in the press as a “very bad decision” in “many ways”. He is alluding to the climatic conditions and the human rights situation in the country.
In July 2020, the DFB published the income of its top officials for the first time. The remuneration committee of the DFB, whose establishment Keller had announced before his election, set a remuneration for Keller of 246,000 euros per year. For members of the executive committee of the DFB who are also members of bodies of the FIFA and UEFA associations , the remuneration of officials is capped at EUR 246,000 per year. The DFB expense allowance should then be reduced.
On May 11, 2021, the DFB announced that Keller would resign as President of the German Football Association on May 17, 2021 in order to enable the association to reposition itself.
In March 2020, the Süddeutsche Zeitung (SZ) accused Keller of “breaking words instead of setting out” because of his desire to join the FIFA Council . When he was elected DFB President, Keller had declared six months earlier that he would not seek a seat on the governing bodies of FIFA and UEFA . The SZ also classified its contributions on topics such as fans, racism and women as “largely free of substance”.
Nazi comparison and DFB crisis 2021
On April 23, 2021, after matching media reports in a DFB presidium meeting, Keller compared DFB vice-president Rainer Koch (formerly presiding judge at the Munich Higher Regional Court ) with NS judge Roland Freisler . As President of the People's Court, Freisler had passed over 2,600 death sentences and, as a participant in the Wannsee Conference, was jointly responsible for the organization of the Holocaust . DFB general secretary Friedrich Curtius filed a complaint with the DFB ethics committee because of the NS comparison . Keller asked Koch personally and in writing to apologize, but had to admit on April 27th that the Vice President had not accepted this request, contrary to his presentation from the previous day.
At an extraordinary conference on May 2, 2021 in Potsdam, the presidents of the state and regional associations, DFB President Keller and General Secretary Friedrich Curtius, withdrew their trust. With 26 votes in favor, nine against and two abstentions, the conference called for Keller's resignation.
On May 4, 2021, the DFB ethics committee presented its result to the DFB sports court headed by Hans E. Lorenz . This then began work on the incident and Keller, a judgment is expected for the end of May. On May 7, 2021, Keller initially refused to resign in a statement. However, he will not avoid the upcoming legal proceedings. On May 11, 2021, he announced that he would leave his post after the negotiation.
- Aral Schlemmer Atlas 2010: "Winery of the Year"
- Diners Club 2010: "Winemaker of the Year"
- Eichelmann 2010: Best red wine collection
- Gault Millau 2011: "Restaurateur of the Year"
- Brillat Savarin plaque 2012 "Personalities with a formative influence on the industry and with special merits in hospitality and dining culture"
- Falstaff 2014: Falstaff Wine Trophy - life's work as a winemaker
- Falstaff 2019: "Collection of the year"
- Gault Millau 2019: "Winemaker of the Year" Friedrich and Fritz Keller
- Franz Keller - Wines • Restaurants • Hotel , own website
- Football Fritz Keller elected DFB President , on tagesschau.de, accessed on September 29, 2019
- DFB candidate cellar: winemaker, club boss, Walter godchild. In: Augsburger Allgemeine. Retrieved August 15, 2019 .
- Fritz Keller's new winery in Oberbergen has opened . In: Badische Zeitung . 19th July 2013.
- Restaurant Schwarzer Adler in the Hotel Schwarzer Adler lartdevivre-residenzen.com, accessed on August 15, 2019
- Cellar economy
- Website of the Sommelier Union Germany sommelier-union.de, accessed on August 15, 2019
- War of the Roses in Paradise. In: Stern. Retrieved August 20, 2019 .
- Freiburg President Fritz Keller is to become the new DFB President. In: Sportschau . August 15, 2019, accessed August 15, 2019 .
- Fritz Keller elected as the new DFB President. In: Zeit Online . September 27, 2019, accessed September 27, 2019 .
- DFB boss Keller criticizes the award of the World Cup to Qatar. In: swr.de . December 12, 2019, accessed December 12, 2019 .
- DFB: 246,000 euros for President Fritz Keller. In: Münchner Merkur . July 3, 2020, archived from the original on August 12, 2020 .
- DFB announces salaries of the top of the association around President Fritz Keller - No information on Löw and Bierhoff. In: Sportbuzzer. July 3, 2020, accessed July 7, 2020 .
- DER SPIEGEL: DFB President Fritz Keller makes his office available. Retrieved May 11, 2021 .
- Breaking words instead of departure . In: Süddeutsche Zeitung. March 6, 2020.
- Report against President Keller after a Nazi settlement. In: Der Spiegel. DER SPIEGEL GmbH & Co. KG, April 26, 2021, accessed on April 26, 2021 .
- DFB President apologizes for "inappropriate comparison" on sportschau.de, April 26, 2021. Accessed April 26, 2021.
- According to the Nazi comparison: Keller loses support. In: faz.net. FAZ, April 27, 2021, accessed on April 28, 2021 .
- Keller and Curtius are withdrawn from trust. Retrieved May 2, 2021 .
- DFB: Fritz Keller's case goes to the sports court. In: Sport1.de. May 3, 2021, accessed May 4, 2021 .
- Derailment of the DFB boss - DFB sports court: judgment in the Keller case by the end of May , on sportschau.de, from May 4, 2021. Accessed May 4, 2021
- DFB President Keller refuses to resign. In: faz.net. FAZ, May 7, 2021, accessed on May 7, 2021 .
- DFB President Keller provides office , kicker, May 11, 2021.
- 57. Brillat Savarin plaque
- restaurant-ranglisten.de: Winemaker of the year: Fritz and Friedrich Keller
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Keller, Friedrich Walter|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German winemaker, wine merchant, restaurateur, hotelier and football official|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 2, 1957|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Freiburg in Breisgau|