Hugo Retemeyer (born April 24, 1851 in Mascherode ; † March 17, 1931 in Braunschweig ) was Lord Mayor of Braunschweig from 1904 to 1925 .
life and work
He was the son of a landowner. After finishing school in Braunschweig, he studied law at the Universities of Göttingen and Leipzig . After the first (1874) and second (1878) state legal examinations, Retemeyer became an unskilled worker for the city council in Braunschweig. In 1880, he was elected a paid magistrate and city councilor. He worked as a building officer on the canalization and the expansion of the outer city streets and was appointed mayor in 1894. On January 28, 1904, he succeeded Wilhelm Pockels as Lord Mayor of Braunschweig. He was inaugurated on February 10, 1904. A few days before his resignation on March 31, 1925, he was made an honorary citizen of the city of Braunschweig.
From 1887 to 1890 he was a member of the Reichstag and represented the constituency of the Duchy of Braunschweig 1 (Braunschweig - Blankenburg). From February 1904 to 1919 he was a member of the Braunschweig Landtag for the 2nd constituency of the city of Braunschweig , of which he was temporarily from 1917 to 1919.
World war one and inflation
Retemeyer consistently pursued an economical financial policy. However, the city fortunes acquired by 1914 were lost during the subsequent inflation . As a result of the First World War , the population fell from 147,000 in 1914 to 128,000 at the end of the war in 1918.
During his tenure in 1910 the new city archive and the city library were opened. Several schools and churches were rebuilt.
Retemeyerstraße in the southern part of Brunswick is named after him.
- Norman-Mathias Pingel: Hugo Retemeyer. in: Luitgard Camerer , Manfred Garzmann , Wolf-Dieter Schuegraf (eds.): Braunschweiger Stadtlexikon . Joh. Heinr. Meyer Verlag, Braunschweig 1992, ISBN 3-926701-14-5 , p. 191 .
- Horst-Rüdiger Jarck , Günter Scheel (Ed.): Braunschweigisches Biographisches Lexikon - 19th and 20th centuries . Hahnsche Buchhandlung, Hannover 1996, ISBN 3-7752-5838-8 , p. 484 .
- Beatrix Herlemann , Helga Schatz: Biographical Lexicon of Lower Saxony Parliamentarians 1919–1945 (= publications of the Historical Commission for Lower Saxony and Bremen. Volume 222). Hahnsche Buchhandlung, Hannover 2004, ISBN 3-7752-6022-6 , p. 293.
- Henning Steinführer , Claudia Böhler (Ed.): The Braunschweiger Mayors. From the establishment of the office in the late Middle Ages to the 20th century. oeding print GmbH, Braunschweig 2013, ISBN 978-3-941737-68-6 .
- Hugo Retemeyer in the database of members of the Reichstag
- ^ Fritz Specht, Paul Schwabe: The Reichstag elections from 1867 to 1903. Statistics of the Reichstag elections together with the programs of the parties and a list of the elected representatives. 2nd Edition. Carl Heymann Verlag, Berlin 1904, p. 278.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German politician, Lord Mayor of Braunschweig (1904–1925), MdR|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 24, 1851|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Mascherode|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 17, 1931|
|Place of death||Braunschweig|