|Babymetal studio album|
February 26, 2014
|Label (s)||BMD Fox Records, Toy's Factory|
CD, DVD, download, vinyl
Chibametal, Inabametal, Kobametal
Babymetal (written BABYMETAL) is the debut studio album by the Japanese metal band Babymetal of the same name . The album was first released in Japan on February 26, 2014. It reached number 4 in the Oricon album charts and contains, among other things, the commercially successful singles Gimme Chocolate !! , Ijime, Dame, Zettai and Megitsune . The international version was published in May / June 2015. Some of the songs had already appeared on albums by the idol pop group Sakura Gakuin , from which the band was formed. In general, the album Babymetal is considered to be a style defining for the subgenre Kawaii Metal .
Publication and promotion
The album was released in Japan on January 26, 2014 by Toy's Factory in three versions: a standard edition, a limited edition and the Apocalypse edition. The limited edition has the same content as the standard edition, but it comes with an additional DVD . It contains the band's previous music videos with audio commentary from the members, a live music video from Gimme Chocolate !! and footage with the performance at the Festival Summer Sonic 2013. Toy's Factory re-released the limited version five months later , with a special cover to commemorate the 2014 world tour. The Apocalypse edition of the album was only available on CD and contains alternatives Versions of the songs Akatsuki and Song 4 . The former was sung live on December 21, 2013 in the Makuhari Messe in Chiba . This edition was only available to people who had pre-ordered it on the band's special Apocalypse website.
In mid-2015 the album was released internationally by other record labels, on May 29 in Europe by earMusic and on June 16 in the USA by RAL and Sony Music Entertainment . Both the European and American editions contain two bonus tracks : a live version of Gimme Chocolate !! and the new song Road of Resistance . The limited version was also available in Europe, but without the audio commentary. To further promote the album, a music video for Road of Resistance was uploaded to YouTube in May 2015 , a live recording of a concert in the Saitama Super Arena .
Singles and other songs
Babymetal contains material that was created over a period of almost three and a half years. After the song Doki Doki ☆ Morning had been presented since November 2010 as part of concerts by the idol pop group Sakura Gakuin , it first appeared on March 23, 2011 on the album Sakura Gakuin 2010 Nendo: Message and finally on October 22, 2011 as a standalone Single . The release of Babymetal × Kiba of Akiba , a split single with the alternative metal band Kiba of Akiba , took place on March 7, 2012; on it is the song Iine! . Next up was the single Headbangeeeeerrrrr !!!!! on July 4, 2012. Ijime, Dame, Zettai , released on January 7, 2013, was the first single on a major label and the first song that was not included on a Sakura Gakuin album. Finally, on June 19, 2013, the single Megitsune was released , the first release after Babymetal had separated from Sakura Gakuin and had become an independent group. These five songs as well as five B-sides are included on the album.
Two songs, Akatsuki and Rondo of Nightmare , are sung solo by lead singer Suzuka Nakamoto (Su-metal). Two other songs, Onedari Daisakusen and Song 4, are sung together by Yui Mizuno (Yuimetal) and Moa Kikuchi (Moametal) in a duet under the stage name "Black Babymetal". Song 4 was composed by the two of them themselves.
Before the international album version was released, the new song Road of Resistance was digitally released on February 1, 2015 . This is a cooperation with Herman Li and Sam Totman from the British metal band DragonForce , who were involved in the production of the guitar tracks. Although Gimme Chocolate !! was only subsequently released as a single, this song helped the band to international breakthrough. Responsible for this is a music video that was recorded on December 21, 2013 at a concert in the Makuhari Messe and was viewed over 82 million times on YouTube by January 2018.
|Rolling Stone Japan|
|The Japan Times||positive|
The album received positive reviews from Japanese music critics. Rolling Stone Japan described it as a work “full of quality, hardness, humor and cuteness” as well as a self-contained masterpiece that could undoubtedly be representative of 2014. The Japan Times wrote, “ Babymetal revels in the madness of both the idol scene and metal, but is far from being a joke. It's a whole lot better than many more serious metal albums. "
The ratings were generally positive abroad as well. Allmusic said: “ Babymetal is obviously not an album for metalheads who like to follow the clear definition of what makes metal metal, or for J-pop fans who are afraid of massive guitar riffs. But those who don't really care about the rules and just want to jump around like idiots to the brightest and most absurd music imaginable will find exactly what they never dared to ask with Babymetal's brilliant debut. " Rock Sound said the album offered" tons of fun "and it was" completely and completely absurd, but when was that ever something bad? "
Kerrang described the music as "cynical and manufactured, but absolutely brilliant" and stated that the band used "the fine line between genius and madness as a skipping rope". Metal Obsession was of the opinion: “This band was created for the target group 'Music that your Japanese friend, who actually doesn't like Metal, would like'. (...) It is a unique album by a unique band that made no compromises and created an enchanting and pretty hard sound contrast. She made metal cute without losing any sharpness, which you can't say about any other band ”. laut.de praised the quality density and the entertainment value; Babymetal works " just as well at the bony Sonisphere Festival [...] as as a provocation in the children's room" and devalues "even current pop goddesses like Lady Gaga into unimaginative bores ".
In July 2016 the readers of Metal Hammer voted Babymetal as the best album of the 21st century.
|1.||Babymetal Death||Kitsune of Metal God||Kitsune of Metal God||5:46|
|2.||Megitsune ( メ ギ ツ ネ )||Norimetal||Mk-metal • Norimetal||4:07|
|3.||Gimme Chocolate !! ( ギ ミ チ ョ コ ！！ )||Takeshi Ueda||Mk-metal • Kxbxmetal||3:50|
|4th||Iine! ( い い ね！ )||Mish-mosh||Nakata Caos||4:08|
|5.||Akatsuki ( 紅月 )||Tsubometal||Nakametal • Tsubometal||5:25|
|6th||Doki Doki ☆ Morning ( ド キ ド キ ☆ モ ー ニ ン グ )||Norizō • Motonari Murakawa||Nakametal||3:44|
|7th||Onedari Daisakusen ( お ね だ り 大作 戦 )||Team-K||Nakata Caos • Ryu-metal • Fuji-metal||3:15|
|8th.||Song 4 ( 4 の 歌 , Yon no uta)||Black Babymetal||Black Babymetal||4:01|
|9.||Uki Uki ★ Midnight
( ウ キ ・ ウ キ ★ ミ ッ ド ナ イ ト )
|Team-K||Ryu-metal • Fuji-metal • Nakata Caos||3:17|
|10.||Catch Me If You Can||Narasaki||Edometal||3:53|
|11.||Rondo of Nightmare
( 悪 夢 の 輪 舞曲 , Akumu no rondo)
|Yuyo soup||Yuyo soup||3:33|
|12.||Headbangeeeeerrrrr !!!!! ( ヘ ド バ ン ギ ャ ー ！！ )||Narasaki||Edometal • Nakametal||3:53|
|13.||Ijime, lady, Zettai ( イ ジ メ 、 ダ メ 、 ゼ ッ タ イ )||Kxbxmetal • Tsubometal • Takemetal||Nakametal • Tsubometal||6:04|
|International bonus tracks|
|14th||Road of Resistance||Mish-Mosh • Norimetal • Kyt-metal||Kitsune of Metal God • Mk-metal • Kxbxmetal||5:20|
|15th||Gimme Chocolate !! (live at O2 Academy Brixton )||Takeshi Ueda||Mk-metal • Kxbxmetal||5:04|
(Information according to the booklets of the album and the singles)
|Germany (GfK)||95 (1 week)||1|
|Japan (Oricon)||4th (... Where.)||...|
|Austria (Ö3)||69 (1 week)||1|
|United States (Billboard)||187 (1 week)||1|
|2015||7th CD Shop Awards||Grand Prix||Won|
Overview of publications
|Japan||Jan. 26, 2014||CD, digital, DVD||BMD Fox Records • Toy's Factory||Standard • limited||TFCC-86461
|July 26, 2014||CD, DVD||limited (re-release)||TFCC-86460|
|Europe||May 29, 2015||CD, digital, DVD||earMusic||Standard • limited||EMU02103957
|United States||June 16, 2015||CD, digital||RAL • Sony Music Entertainment||default||RAL0096922|
|Japan||17th June 2015||vinyl||BMD Fox Records • Toy's Factory||TFJC-38024|
|United States||Jan 15, 2016||RAL • Sony Music Entertainment||RAL0509692|
|Japan||Sep 14 2016||CD, DVD||BMD Fox Records • Toy's Factory||"Visiting Japan Commemoration" (limited)||TFCC-86571|
- BABYMETAL の ア ル バ ム 初 回 盤 が 限定 仕 様 で ア ン コ ー ル プ レ ス. Tower Records, July 8, 2014, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- ド ・ キ ・ ド ・ キ ☆ モ ー ニ ン グ. Sakura Gakuin , October 22, 2011, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- さ く ら 学院 重音 部 こ と BABY METAL 、 キ バ オ ブ ア キ バ と の ス プ リ ッ ト 盤 が 登場. Tower Records, February 9, 2012, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- BABYMETAL 、 初 の 単 独 CD シ ン グ ル “ヘ ド バ ン ギ ャ ー !!” 発 売 決定. Tower Records, April 27, 2012, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- BABYMETAL 世 直 し メ タ ル ソ ン グ 「イ ジ メ 、 ダ メ 、 ゼ ッ タ イ」 全貌 解禁. musicman.net, December 4, 2012, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- BABYMETAL 、 新 作 ア ー ト ワ ー ク で 妖 艶 メ ギ ツ ネ 姿 に. Natalie, May 10, 2013, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- BABYMETAL's New Song 'Road Of Resistance' Featuring DRAGONFORCE Members: Audio Preview. blabbermouth.net , January 5, 2015, accessed January 20, 2018 .
- Kazumi Namba: BABYMETAL. Rolling Stone Japan , March 9, 2015, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- Patrick St. Michel: Babymetal “Babymetal”. The Japan Times , March 18, 2014, accessed January 20, 2018 .
- Sandra Tim: BABYMETAL - BABYMETAL. Allmusic , February 2014, accessed on January 20, 2018 .
- Sarah O'Connor: BABYMETAL review. In: Rock Sound , issue 201, July 2015, p. 76.
- Paul Travers: BABYMETAL review. In Kerrang , issue 1567, July 2015.
- Ulf Kubanke: In contrast, Lady Gaga seems like an unimaginative boring woman. laut.de , May 2015, accessed on January 20, 2018 .
- Tristan Peterson: Album Reviews: Babymetal - Babymetal. Metal Obsession, April 9, 2014, accessed January 20, 2018 .
- In a Metal Hammer poll, Babymetal's debut album was voted as the greatest album of the 21st century. teamrock.com, July 27, 2016, accessed January 20, 2018 .
- "Black Babymetal" is the stage name for the duo Mizuno / Kikuchi (without Nakamoto).
- Although the word 輪 舞曲 is usually read as rinbukyoku , the booklet contains a note that it should be read as rondo .
- Babymetal. GfK Entertainment Charts , accessed on January 20, 2018 .
- BABYMETAL の 作品. Oricon , accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).
- Babymetal. austriancharts.at, accessed on January 20, 2018 .
- Babymetal charts history. Billboard , accessed January 20, 2018 .
- BABYMETAL が CD シ ョ ッ プ 大 賞！ SU-METAL 「す ご く ド キ ド キ」. Natalie, March 9, 2015, accessed January 20, 2018 (Japanese).