Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel
Christian Ehrenfried Weigel , von Weigel since 1806 , (* May 24, 1748 in Stralsund , † August 8, 1831 in Greifswald ), was a German and Swedish physician, botanist and chemist. Its official botanical author's abbreviation is " Weigel ".
Christian Ehrenfried Weigel was a son of Stralsund city physicist Bernhard Nicolaus Weigel (1721–1801) and Maria Ilsabe Charisius, daughter of city secretary Carl Christian Charisius. He was tutored by his parents and tutors. In 1764 he began studying at the University of Greifswald . In addition, he conducted private scientific and medical studies and accompanied his father to visits to the sick, operations, autopsies and visits to pharmacies.
In 1769 he went to the University of Göttingen , where he received his doctorate in medicine in 1771 under Johann Christian Polycarp Erxleben . In Greifswald he became a private lecturer in botany and mineralogy in 1772 . In the following year he became an adjunct of the medical faculty as well as supervisor of the botanical garden and the academic natural history collection. In 1774 he published the book about the soldering tube by Gustaf von Engeström in German translation.
On May 11, 1775, Weigel became a full professor of medicine, chemistry and pharmacy at the University of Greifswald. He received his doctorate in philosophy and master's degree in liberal arts from the Philosophical Faculty in 1776 . Between 1778 and 1804 he was dean of the medical faculty several times and rector of the university in 1787 and 1802. In 1780 he became assessor of the Royal Health College in Greifswald and in 1794 its director. In 1795 he was appointed Royal Swedish Archiatrist . In 1798 he became a member of the Royal Swedish Medical College in Stockholm . In 1825 he was partially relieved of his activities at the university and the health college in 1826 finally.
On July 18, 1806 he was raised to the nobility by Emperor Franz II and called himself from then on " von Weigel ".
Among other things, Weigel developed the counterflow cooler (1771), which was later further developed by Justus Liebig and became known as the Liebig cooler . In addition, the genus Weigela is named after him.
Awards and memberships
- The plant species Weigela Thunb are named after him . and Weigelastrum Nakai from the honeysuckle family (Caprifoliaceae).
- 1773: Member of the Physiographic Society in Lund
- 1777: Member of the Academy of Charitable Sciences in Erfurt
- 1777: Honorary members of the Society of Friends of Natural Sciences in Berlin
- 1780: Member of the Natural Research Society in Halle (Saale)
- 1788: Member of the Mining Science Society
- 1790: Member of the Leopoldina (nickname: Zosimus IV.)
- 1792: Member of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- 1797: Honorary member of the Sydenham Society in Halle
- 1798: Honorary member of the Jena Mineralogical Society
- 1799: Honorary member of the Natural Research Society of Westphalia in Brockhausen
- 1811: Honorary member of the Royal Medical College in Stockholm
- 1813: Member of the Swedish Society of Doctors
- 1814: Knight of the North Star Order
- 1821: Knight of the Red Eagle Order 3rd class
- 1821: Honorary member of the Grand Ducal Society for the entire mineralogy in Jena
- 1821: Honorary member of the Imperial Pharmaceutical Society in St. Petersburg
- Flora Pomerano-Rugica . Gottl. Aug. Lange, Berolini Stralsundia et Lipsiae 1769 doi: 10.5962 / bhl.title.7041
- Observationes Chemicae et Mineralogicae . Goettingae 1771 online
- Observationes Botanicae . Gryphia 1772 online
- Physical Chemistry Part Two, Third and Fourth Sections . Leipzig 1776 online
- An attempt at a crystallography . Greifswald 1777 online
- Outline of pure and applied chemistry . First volume, Greifswald 1777 online
- Foundations of theoretical and practical chemistry . Second volume, Leipzig 1780 online
- Mr. Gustav von Engström's description of a mineralogical pocket laboratory and in particular of the use of the blowpipe in mineralogy . 2nd edition, Greifswald 1782 online
- Physical research on fire . Leipzig 1782 online
- Antidotes of arsenic, poisonous sublimate, chip greens and lead . Second volume, Greifswald 1782 online
- Discoveries about light . Leipzig 1783 online
- Physical inquiries into electricity . Leipzig 1784 online
- Christian Ehrenfried Weigel, Torbern Bergman, Henrik Teofilus Scheffer: Mr. HT Scheffer former directors and member of the Royal Academy of Sciences chemical lectures, about salts, soils, water, inflammable bodies, metals and coloring . 2nd Edition. Röse, Greifswald 1789, urn : nbn: de: bvb: 12-bsb10073717-7 .
- Introduction to the general art of cutting . Second piece, Leipzig 1790 online
- Magazine for friends of natural science and natural history, cutting art, agriculture and urban economy, national and state medicine . Fourth volume, first piece, Greifswald 1796 online
- Diedrich Hermann Biederstedt : Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel. In: News from the now living writers in New Western Pomerania and Rügen. Stralsund 1822, pp. 146–157. Digitized in the Google book search.
- Carl Oppenheimer : Weigel, Christian Ehrenfried von . In: Allgemeine Deutsche Biographie (ADB). Volume 41, Duncker & Humblot, Leipzig 1896, p. 464.
- Hans Reddemann : The listed old cemetery in the university and Hanseatic city of Greifswald. Part III. Greifswald 2012, ISBN 978-3-00-027660-6 , p. 356.
- Gerhard Wolter, Gerhard Ruhlig: About the development of chemical teaching and research at the University of Greifswald. In: Festschrift for the 500th anniversary of the University of Greifswald . Volume 2. Greifswald 1956, pp. 462-468.
- Literature by and about Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel in the German Digital Library
- Literature about Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel in the state bibliography MV
- Author entry and list of the plant names described for Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel at the IPNI
- Correspondence between Christian Ehrenfried von Weigel and Carl von Linné
- ↑ Gabriel Anrep : Svenska Adelns Ättar-Taflor. 4th part, Norstedt & Söner, Stockholm 1864, pp. 573-574 ( digitized version )
- ↑ Lotte Burkhardt: Directory of eponymous plant names - Extended Edition. Part I and II. Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin , Freie Universität Berlin , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-946292-26-5 doi: 10.3372 / epolist2018 .
|Thomas Heinrich Gadebusch||Rector of the University of Greifswald
|Lambert Heinrich Röhl|
|Emanuel Friedrich Hagemeister||Rector of the University of Greifswald
|Johann Christoph Muhrbeck|
|SURNAME||Weigel, Christian Ehrenfried from|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Weigel, Christian Ehrenfried|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 24, 1748|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Stralsund|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 8, 1831|
|Place of death||Greifswald|