Hermann Voss (anatomist)
Hermann Christian Heinrich Emil Voss (born October 13, 1894 in Berlin , † January 19, 1987 in Hamburg ) was a German anatomist and professor of medicine.
Hermann Voss was the son of a Mecklenburg manor leaseholder and grew up in Warnkenhagen and Malchin . Between 1913 and 1918 he studied medicine at the universities of Munich , Heidelberg and Rostock . His studies were interrupted by one and a half years of military service in the First World War as a field doctor in reserve hospitals in northern Germany and on the western front . In 1919 Voss received his doctorate from the University of Rostock and became the second prosector at the Anatomical Institute of the University of Rostock. In 1923 he received his habilitation in anatomy . In 1926 he became the first assistant at the Anatomical Institute of the University of Leipzig . There he became second prosector in 1929 and was appointed associate professor in 1930. In 1937 he joined the National Socialist German Workers' Party (NSDAP). In 1938 Voss was appointed the first prosector and permanent associate professor. There was no appointment to a chair . In September and October 1939 Voss did military service again as a junior doctor in the Leipzig reserve hospital. In 1941 he accepted a full professorship for anatomy at the University of Posen .
In 1945 he fled from there to Borna , where he worked as a trainee doctor at the city hospital from January 1945 until his resignation in March 1946. The Medical Faculty of the University of Halle hired him in 1948 as a professor with a teaching position and first prosector. In 1952 Voss was offered the chair of anatomy at the University of Jena , where he headed the anatomical institute until his retirement in 1962. He then worked at the Anatomical Institute of the University of Greifswald . In 1979 he moved to Hamburg , where he lived until his death.
Conduct in the time of National Socialism
During the Nazi era , Hermann Voss built up the medical faculty as dean of the University of Posen . In his Poznan diaries, which were found in Poznan after the war but only became known in Germany after his retirement, Voss gave impressions from this period. There he wrote on May 24, 1941: “The Poles shot by her [meaning the Gestapo] are brought here at night and burned. If only one could ashes the whole of Polish society like that. The Polish people must be exterminated, otherwise there will be no peace and quiet here in the East ” Voss and his staff, including Robert Herrlinger , benefited from close cooperation with the Gestapo . Immediately after the killing of Polish prisoners, they made preparations that were sold. According to Götz Aly , Voss operated "a lively trade in skeletons and skulls". In 2016, the dramaturge and director Hannes Hametner wrote the one-person drama Der Biedermann , which was premiered at the Theater Vorpommern, about his behavior during the National Socialist era .
In 1959, Hermann Voss was honored by the GDR government with the honorary title of Outstanding People's Scientist .
- H. Voss: Pathological-anatomical dissection exercises , 1940
- H. Voss, Robert Herrlinger : Taschenbuch der Anatomie . Gustav-Fischer-Verlag, ISBN 3-437-00168-X
- H. Voss: Embryological Atlas for Students . Gustav-Fischer-Verlag, 1954
- Editor of the journals Anatomischer Anzeiger and Acta histochemica .
- Götz Aly : The Poznan diary of the anatomist Hermann Voss . In: Aly et al .: Biedermann and desk clerk. Materials on the German perpetrator biography . Rotbuch, Berlin 1989, ISBN 3-88022-953-8 , pp. 14–66 (English version 1994 see note)
- Gabriele Goettle: Inside views of the staid mass murderer . In: Die Zeit , No. 1/1988.
- Götz Aly : The anthropological ambition of the taxidermist Gustav von Hirschheydt and his fatal encounter with a dead Jew. An accident at work. ( Memento from March 11, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) In: Berliner Zeitung , February 15, 2003.
- Literature by and about Hermann Voss in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature about Hermann Voss (anatomist) in the state bibliography MV
- Rosemarie Fröber: Final report on the implementation of the report dated June 21, 2005 - Prof. Dr. R. Jütte - identified recommendations on the further handling of the collections at the Institute for Anatomy I in Jena. (PDF) 2006; Retrieved January 3, 2009.
- Entry on Hermann Voss in the Catalogus Professorum Halensis
- Hermann Voss (anatomist) in the professorial catalog of the University of Leipzig
- ^ Enrollment of Hermann Voss in the Rostock matriculation portal
- ^ Götz Aly: The Posen Diaries of the Anatomist Hermann Voss . In: Götz Aly, Peter Chroust, Christian Pross, Belinda Cooper: Cleansing the Fatherland. ISBN 0-8018-4824-5 , Chapter 3 The Posen Diaries of the Anatomist Hermann Voss. in the Google book search Only up to p. 53, this section is not included. German edition see Ref.
- ↑ Götz Aly : The Poznan diary of the anatomist Hermann Voss. In: Götz Aly et al .: Biedermann and desk clerk. Materials on the German perpetrator biography . Rotbuch, Berlin 1989, p. 41.
- ↑ Götz Aly, Posener Tagebuch, p. 54.
- Jump up to August 14, 1942; V. was able to take the rest with him on his later escape or destroy it in time
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Voss, Herman; Voss, Hermann Christian Heinrich Emil|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German anatomist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 13, 1894|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 19, 1987|
|Place of death||Hamburg|