|coat of arms||Map of Spain|
Help on coat of arms
|Autonomous Community :||Basque Country|
|Area :||5.65 km²|
|Residents :||10,394 (Jan 1, 2019)|
|Population density :||1,839.65 inhabitants / km²|
|Postal code :||20240|
|Municipality number ( INE ):||20076|
|Mayor :||José Miguel Santamaría Ezeiza ( EAJ-PNV )|
Ordizia is a municipality in the southern part of Gipuzkoa and in the upper third of the Oria River . The core of the municipality is in the river valley on the left side of the river. Ordizia is enclosed by the hills Odetagoena (729 m) and Oiangu (328 m). The river Oria flows from south to north through Ordizia with some side branches ( Mariaratz in the west and San Juan (river) in the east).
The subsoil in the valley is mainly alluvial sediment. The soil becomes more loamy towards the mountains.
Due to the humid climate and frequent rain, there is a rich fauna of deciduous trees, such as B. oak, chestnut and beech.
The place was founded in 1256 when the King of Castile Alfonso X the Wise ordered the establishment of the town of Ordicia. A few years later, in 1268, King Alfonso X gave the village the title of small town and thus the right to be independent of Vitoria-Gasteiz, to rename the place Villafranca and to apply the law itself.
Later both names were used, Villafranca and Ordicia, although the name Ordicia remained popular, especially in the Basque language. In 1916 Villafranca was renamed Villafranca de Oria to distinguish the place from other places called Villafranca in Spain. The name Villafranca de Oria was never very popular, so that in 1970 "Villafranca de Ordicia" was chosen as the name that united the two original names.
Finally, on January 4, 1982, the Ministry of Local Government announced that as of January 20, 1982 the official name would be Ordizia, reflecting the Basque name in modern spelling.
Daughters and sons of the church
- Trujillo (Spain) , Cáceres Province , Extremadura , Spain
- Acapulco , Guerrero , Mexico
- Santa Amalia , Badajoz Province , Extremadura, Spain
- Cifras oficiales de población resultantes de la revisión del Padrón municipal a 1 de enero . Population statistics from the Instituto Nacional de Estadística (population update).
- General data on Ordicia
- Archived copy ( memento of the original from November 20, 2011 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.