His father Hermann Bodenmann (1921–1994) was a member of the CVP and from 1967 to 1975 was a member of the Council of States of the Canton of Valais . In 1971, Peter Bodenmann co-founded the Critical Upper Valais movement . From 1973 to 1978 he studied law at the University of Zurich . In 1976 he became a local councilor (member of the executive) of Brig-Glis . In 1982 he opened a law office in Brig . In the same year, the critical Upper Valais merged with the SP Upper Valais. From 1985 to 1997 Bodenmann was a member of the Grand Council of the Canton of Valais. From 1987 to 1997 Bodenmann was a member of the National Council . From 1990 to 1997 he was President of SP Switzerland, followed by Ursula Koch , who was the first woman to be elected President. He was the first social democrat to be elected to the Council of State of the Canton of Valais in 1997, after having run in vain in 1989, 1991 and 1995. He resigned from the State Council at the end of March 1999, and was succeeded by Thomas Burgener (SP).
After leaving politics in 1999, he took on entrepreneurial responsibility for the family hotel complex and, together with his wife, built the hotel ( Good Night Inn ) in Brig with 167 rooms and 300 beds.
Since 2002 he has been writing columns on political, social and economic topics for Blick , L'Hebdo and Weltwoche . He spares neither political friends nor enemies. That earned him the nickname oracle of Brig . A collection of his legend columns from Weltwoche was published as a book in 2003. He pleaded several times and urgently for sensible framework conditions and for maintaining a minimum euro exchange rate in Switzerland because of the export industry and tourism as long as free trade and real competition were not realized in Europe. Politicians should better review their decisions, which are linked to the distribution of funds, for their effectiveness and the consequences. He accuses those responsible for tourism in Switzerland that they have failed advertising strategies and lack of entrepreneurship.
- Captions and (not) a left theater. Pendo, Zurich 2003, ISBN 3-85842-567-2 .
- Literature by and about Peter Bodenmann in the catalog of the German National Library
- Peter Bodenmann on the website of the Federal Assembly
- Show «Schawinski». Roger Schawinski in conversation with Peter Bodenmann. Video in: Swiss television December 12, 2011 ( online, 27 minutes )
- Show «Schawinski». Roger Schawinski in conversation with Peter Bodenmann. Video in: SRF 1 from April 14, 2014 ( online, 27 minutes )
- Peter Bodenmann entre en triomphe au Conseil d'Etat valaisan. In: Tribune de Genève . March 17, 1997.
- years according to Database of council members since 1848 , website of the Swiss Federal Assembly, accessed on March 12, 2003.
- Peter Bodenmann. In: WikiWallis. Retrieved March 12, 2012.
- SP President Ursula Koch resigned. In: swissinfo.ch . April 15, 2000, accessed April 26, 2019 .
- Peter Bodenmann resigns. In: Bieler Tagblatt . March 10, 1999, accessed March 12, 2012.
- Peter Bodenmann: We Swiss like to be brave ... as long as it's not serious. Blick, Zurich March 2, 2015
- Peter Grunder: Sensible framework. Peter Bodenmann on entrepreneurs and politicians, officials and tourism professionals. GastroJournal May 21, 2015, p. 6.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Swiss politician (SP)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 30, 1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Brig|