Rüdiger Wolfrum (born December 13, 1941 in Berlin ) is a German legal scholar and was a judge at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea until 2017 . From 2005 to 2008 he was its president. He was a student of the Bonn university professor Karl Josef Partsch (1914-1996).
After high school and military service, Wolfrum studied law from 1964 to 1969 at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms- Universität Bonn and at the Eberhard-Karls-Universität Tübingen . On January 18, 1969, he passed the first state examination in law. After promotion to Doctor of Law on June 29, 1973, the clerkship, which he completed on 29 June 1973 with the second state examination, he worked from October 1, 1973 to July 31, 1978 as a research assistant at the Institute of International Law of the University of Bonn. From August 1, 1977 to July 31, 1979, he was a research fellow at the Center for Oceans Law and Policy at the University of Virginia . On November 28, 1980 , he completed his habilitation and was awarded the venia legendi for public law including international law.
From May 6, 1982 to November 30, 1982 Wolfrum was Professor of Public Law and International Law at Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz . Subsequently he was until April 30, 1993 Professor of Public Law and International Law and Director of the Institute for International Law at the University of Kiel . Since May 1, 1993 he has been Professor of International Law at Heidelberg University . At the same time, he became director at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law in Heidelberg, which he headed together with Armin von Bogdandy until his retirement on December 31, 2012 . Since January 2013 he has been Managing Director of the Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law .
On August 1, 1996, Wolfrum was elected judge at the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea in Hamburg at the suggestion of the Foreign Office , to which he has been a member since then. The last re-elected on 13 June 2008. From October 2005 to October 2008 he was successor of from Grenada originating Dolliver Nelson President of the Court. José Luis Jesus from Cape Verde was elected to succeed him.
Wolfrum has worked as a consultant in many countries in the past in connection with the drafting of fundamental constitutional and legal projects under the rule of law. He educates u. a. the high judges in Sudan ; He is also used as a mediator in the peace process in Darfur . He received honorary doctorates from the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow (February 12, 1999) and the Shihutug Law College in Ulaanbaatar (December 6, 1999) and was appointed honorary professor at the Faculty of Law at the University of Hamburg on October 3, 2002 .
In 2016 Wolfrum was appointed representative of East Timor in the arbitration commission (based on the Convention on the Law of the Sea ) to resolve the border disputes between Australia and East Timor .
Also in 2016, the Philippines named Wolfrum as judge of the court of arbitration of the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague in the lawsuit against the PRC because of its claims in the South China Sea.
- Fighting terrorism at sea: options and limitations under international law . Japan Society for Defense Studies, Tokyo 2008.
- The protection of the environment through international courts and tribunals . In: Andreas Fischer-Lescano (Ed.): Peace in freedom - Festschrift for Michael Bothe on his 70th birthday . Nomos, Baden-Baden 2008, ISBN 978-3-8329-3667-9 , p. 807.
- Kosovo - some thoughts on its future status . In: Sienho Yee (Ed.): Multiculturalism and international law - essays in honor of Edward McWhinney . Nijhoff, Leiden 2009, ISBN 978-90-04-17471-9 , p. 561.
- Peter Frieß, Andreas Fickers (eds.): Dietrich Granow and Rüdiger Wolfrum talk about the Antarctic Treaty and unlawful areas (= TechnikDialog , issue 7). Deutsches Museum / Lemmens, Bonn 1997, ISBN 3-932306-04-X .
- Legitimacy of Constitution-making Processes: Reflections from the Perspective of International Law , in Constitutionalism, Human Rights, and Islam after the Arab Spring edited by Rainer Grote and Tilmann Röder, OUP 2016.
- Literature by and about Rüdiger Wolfrum in the catalog of the German National Library
- Election of Rüdiger Wolfrum as President of the Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (PDF; 103 kB)
- On the activities of Rüdiger Wolfrum in Sudan ( memento from September 26, 2007 in the Internet Archive )
- Re-election of Rüdiger Wolfrum as judge at the Tribunal for the Sea ( Memento from April 27, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- Statement by the Federal Foreign Office on Wolfrum's re-election ( memento of July 17, 2008 in the Internet Archive )
- ITLOS - Judge Rüdiger Wolfrum ( Memento from April 2, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Biography on the website of the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (English, with picture)
- Lecture “The definition of maritime borders” on YouTube
- Lecture “The constitution after internal conflicts using the example of Sudan” on YouTube
- Member of Rüdiger Wolfrum (with picture) at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on July 20, 2016.
- Sapo24: Nomeado presidente da comissão de conciliação de fronteiras Timor-Leste-Austrália , June 29, 2016 , accessed on June 30, 2016.
- MarineForum 9-2016, p. 35
- Dietrich Granow (* 1933), son of Hans Ulrich Granow , German diplomat
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German legal scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 13, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berlin|