Romuald Bauer tear OSB (* 6. November 1893 in München as Johann Baptist Bauer tear ; † 22. June 1971 in Munich) was a German Roman Catholic theologian , historian, author, librarian and member of the Benedictine - St. Boniface's Abbey (Munich) .
His research focus as a historian was the Bavarian church history, the seven-volume manual published by him is a standard work.
Bauerreiß was the librarian responsible for the monastery library from 1937 to 1971. At the time of National Socialism he was in contact with members of the White Rose . Hans Scholl and Alexander Schmorell worked in the library in 1942 after being arranged by Carl Muth , the publisher of the Hochland magazine . Scholl and Schmorell supported him in securing valuable holdings in the library without the knowledge of Abbot Bonifaz Wöhrmüller at the time , when the state threatened to dissolve the convent. Bauerreiß was an honorary member of the KBStV Rhaetia Munich . Romuald Bauerreiß is buried in the crypt of the Abbey Church of St. Boniface.
- Bavarian Order of Merit (December 15, 1959)
Publications in book form
- Pie of Jesus. The Man of Sorrows and its Influence on Medieval Piety , Munich 1931.
- Sepulcrum Domini. Studies on the origin of the Christian pilgrimage on German soil , Munich 1936.
- Arbor Vitae. The "Tree of Life" and its use in liturgy, art and customs of the West , Munich 1938.
- Fons sacer. Studies on the history of the early medieval baptistery in the German-speaking area (= Bavarian Benedictine Academy (Hrsg.), Treatises of the Bavarian Benedictine Academy , Volume 6), Munich-Pasing 1949.
Church history of Bavaria :
- Volume 1, From the beginnings to the Hungarian invasions , St. Ottilien 1949.
- Volume 2, From the Hungarian invasions to the settlement of the investiture dispute (1123) , St. Ottilien 1950.
- Volume 3, The XII. Century , St. Ottilien 1951.
- Volume 4, The 13th and 14th Centuries , St. Ottilien 1953.
- Volume 5, The 15th Century , St. Ottilien 1955
- Volume 6, The Sixteenth Century , Augsburg 1965.
- Volume 7, 1600-1803 , Augsburg 1970.
- The holy mountain Andechs. History and leadership (= Great Art Guide , Volume 19), Munich 1955.
- The "sign of life". Studies on the early history of the Greek cross and the iconography of the early church portal (= publications of the Bavarian Benedictine Academy , Volume 1), Birkeneck near Freising 1961.
- The shamrock of St. Patrik , Munich 1961/62.
- Stefanskult and early episcopal city (= publications of the Bavarian Benedictine Academy , Volume 2), Munich 1963.
Articles in collective works
- The Kloster Isen as a place of worship for the Sakramentar was written , in: Alban DOID, Leo Eizenhöfer (ed.), The Prague Sakramentar , Beuron 1949, Volume II, pp 37-43.
- "Munich - Altheim ". Studies on the earliest history of the state capital Munich , in: Adolf Wilhelm Ziegler (Ed.), Monachium. Contributions to the church and cultural history of Munich and southern Bavaria on the occasion of the 800th anniversary of the city of Munich in 1958 , Munich 1958, pp. 87–118.
- The Andechser Heiligenhimmel , in: Georg Schwaiger , Bavaria Santa. Witnesses of the Christian Faith in Bavaria , Volume 2, Regensburg 1971, pp. 113–129.
- The "Gregorian" Man of Sorrows and the "Sacramentum Sancti Gregorii" in Andechs , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches , Volume 44, New Series 13, Salzburg 1926, pp. 57–79.
- Andechs and St. Elisabeth of Thuringia , in: Studies and communications from the Benedictine order , year 46, 1928, pp. 300–305.
- The historical entries of the “Andechser Missale” (Clm. 3005). Texts and investigation , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order , year 47, 1929, pp. 52–90, 433–447.
- Bishop Matthew of Freising 1138? , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches, Volume 48, 1930, pp. 202–205.
- Seeon in Upper Bavaria, a Bavarian painting school of the beginning XI. Century , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches , year 50, 1932, pp. 529–555.
- The "Vita SS. Marini et Anniani " and Bishop Arbeo von Freising (765-783) , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches, Volume 51, 1933, pp. 37-49.
- Sankt Georgen Abbey in the Black Forest , a reform center of southeast Germany in the beginning of the 12th century , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches , year 52, Munich 1935, pp. 47–56.
- On the founding history of "Weih-Sankt-Peter" in Regensburg , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches, Volume 56, 1938, pp. 104-108
- Again the Diocese of Neuburg-Staffelsee , in: Journal for Bavarian State History , Number 14, 1943/44, pp. 391–396.
- " Servus servorum Dei " as the title of early medieval Baiuvian abbots , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches , year 66, 1955.
- Spirensia . In memory of DB von Haneberg , Bishop of Speyer , in: Studies and communications from the Benedictine and Cistercian orders , Volume 71, 1960–1961, pp. 138–150.
- The shamrock of St. Patrik , in: Seanchas Ard Mhacha, Volume 4, Issue 2, 1961/1062, pp. 92-94.
- A "Lateran Palace" in Old Bavaria (Regensburg) , in: Contributions to Old Bavarian Church History Volume 23, Issue 1, 1963, pp. 101-108.
- The Siegburg monastery reform in Regensburg, the imperial chronicle, the Roland song and the priest Konrad ' , in: Studies and communications on the history of the Benedictine order and its branches , year 82, 1971, pp. 334–343. (on-line)
- About the monk Engilmar von Niederharthausen (NDBY), later Bishop von Parenzo (XI.S.) and his Benedictine , in: Journal for Bavarian State History , Volume 35, 1972, pp. 31-39. (on-line)
- Neuburg im Staffelsee , in: Lexicon for Theology and Church , 1st edition, 7th volume, Herder, Freiburg i. B. 1934.
- Gerhard , in: Neue Deutsche Biographie , 6th volume, 1964, p. 273 ( online ).
- Korbinian , in: Lexicon for Theology and Church , 2nd edition, 6th volume, Herder, Freiburg i. B. 1961, column 550 f.
- Bibliography Romuald Bauerreiß OSB , in: Studies and Communications for the History of the Benedictine Order , Volume 79, 1968, pp. 418–424.
- Ulrich Faust : Romuald Bauerreiss. Monk and scholar in a big city monastery , in: Michael Langer , Anselm Bilgri (Hrsg.): Weite des Herzens, Weite des Lebens. Contributions to being a Christian in modern society. Festschrift for the 25th anniversary of the Abbot of St. Bonifaz , Munich / Andechs, Dr. Odilo Lechner OSB, Regensburg 1989, ISBN 3-7917-1138-5 , Volume 1, pp. 77-85.
- Birgitta Klemenz , Peter Pfister , Maria Rita Sagstetter (Ed.): Lebendige Steine. St. Bonifaz in Munich. 150 Years of the Benedictine Abbey and Parish (= exhibition catalogs of the Bavarian State Archives , Volume 42), Munich 2000, ISBN 3-921635-60-8 .
- Esther Meier: Die Gregorsmesse : Functions of a late medieval image type , Cologne / Weimar, 2006, ISBN 978-3-412-11805-1 , p. 30.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bauerreiß, Johann Baptist|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German Roman Catholic church historian and Benedictine|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 6, 1893|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Munich|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 22, 1971|
|Place of death||Munich|