Rosalynn Eleanor Smith Carter (born August 18, 1927 in Plains , Georgia ) is the wife of the 39th US President, Jimmy Carter , and was the First Lady of the United States from 1977 to 1981 . She is committed to human rights.
She is the daughter of Frances Allethea "Allie" Murray (1905–2000) and Edgar Smith (1896–1940).
On July 7, 1946, she married Jimmy Carter. She is the mother of four children:
- John William "Jack" (* 1947)
- James Earl III "Chip" (* 1950)
- Jeffrey Donnel (* 1952)
- Amy Lynn (* 1967)
Rosalynn had been involved in politics since 1962, when Jimmy Carter was elected Senator from Georgia. As Georgia First Lady, she campaigned for the mentally handicapped. She had also volunteered for the Atlanta Hospital and was Honorary President of the Georgian Olympiad for Disabled Children for five years.
- Rosalynn Carter, Removing the Mental-Illness Stigma , Nov. 18, 1977, New York Times
- Jimmy Carter, Rosalynn Carter: Foreword to The Cruikshank Chronicles: Anecdotes, Stories, and Memoirs of a New Deal Liberal, Alice M. Hoffman and Howard S. Hoffman , New York 1989, Archon Books
- Dawn Langley Simmons: Rosalynn Carter. Her life story . F. Fell Publishers, New York NY 1979, ISBN 0-8119-0320-6 .
- Edna Langford, Linda Maddox: Rosalynn. Friend and First Lady . Fleming H. Revell Company, Old Tappan NJ 1980, ISBN 978-0-8007-1132-0 .
- John Driemen: Jimmy & Rosalynn . In: Good Housekeeping January 1992, .
- Ruth Turk: Rosalynn Carter: Steel Magnolia . Franklin Watts, New York NY 1997, ISBN 0-531-20312-3 .
- Kristin L. Ahlberg: Eleanor Rosalynn Smith Carter. In Katherine AS Sibley (Ed.): A Companion to First Ladies. Wiley-Blackwell, Chichester 2016, ISBN 978-1-118-73222-9 , pp. 569-584.
- Rosalynn Carter in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Biography on the White House website (archived)
- National First Ladies' Library (English)
- Rosalynn Carter in the Miller Center of Public Affairs of the University of Virginia (English)
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Smith, Eleanor Rosalynn (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American first lady|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 18, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Plains , Georgia|