Shi Jiuyong , Chinese 史 久 镛 (born October 9, 1926 in Zhejiang , Republic of China ) is a Chinese lawyer . He has held various legal and diplomatic positions for the Chinese Foreign Ministry since 1980 and is also a professor at various Chinese universities. From February 1994 to May 2010 he was a judge at the International Court of Justice in The Hague .
Shi studied law at Saint John's University in Shanghai , where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts in 1948 , and then went to Columbia University in New York , where he graduated in 1951 with a master's in international law. This was followed by a three-year academic career at Columbia University.
From 1956 to 1958 Shi was Assistant Research Fellow at the Institute for International Relations in Beijing , then until 1964 a lecturer at the Beijing Foreign Affairs College. He then worked as a Research Fellow at the Institute for International Law in Beijing until 1973 and as a Research Fellow at the Beijing Institute for International Studies from 1973 to 1980. In 1984 he was appointed professor of international law at the Foreign Affairs College in Beijing and held that position until 1993. At the same time, from 1987 to 1988 he was professor at the Training Center for Foreign Business Law of the Chinese Ministry of Justice.
Shi has worked as a legal advisor several times, including from 1980 to 1993 for the Chinese Foreign Ministry, from 1985 to 1993 for the highest-ranking Chinese representative within the framework of the Sino-British Joint Liaison Group and from 1989 to 1993 at the Chinese Center of Legal Consultancy. He was also part of Chinese delegations at international conferences and negotiations on various occasions, including the meetings of the Asian-African Legal Consultative Committee in 1981, 1985 and 1993, consultations with the United States Department of State in 1983 and 1984 and the Negotiations with the US government on an investment protection agreement (1983/84).
From 1987 to 1993 Shi was a member of the International Law Commission , including 1990 as chairman. In this function he represented the International Law Commission at the 45th session of the United Nations General Assembly (1990) and at the 30th meeting of the Asian-African Legal Consultative Conference in Cairo in 1991 .
Shi was a consultant until 2005 and has been Honorary President of the Chinese Society for International Law since then. He is a member of the American Society for International Law and has been President of the Board of Trustees of the Xiamen Academy for International Law since 2005 . He is also Honorary Professor at the University of International Relations (2002), Honorary President of the College of International Law, Beijing University of Foreign Affairs (2007) and Honorary Professor of the East China University of Political Science and Law , Shanghai (2001).
On February 6, 1994, Shi was appointed judge at the International Court of Justice in The Hague and was confirmed in office in 2003. He was Vice President of the Court from 2000 to 2003 and served as President from 2003 to 2006. In addition to his judicial office, he was also a lecturer at the Hague Academy for International Law . On May 28, 2010, he resigned from his judicial office. He was followed by Xue Hanqin after.
- Autonomy of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region . In: Leiden journal of international law . Vol. 11, No. 1, , pp. 63-70.
- The role of the International Court of Justice in the peaceful settlement of international disputes . In: Collected courses of the Xiamen Academy of International Law . Nijhoff, Leiden 2006, , pp. 1-13.
- Maritime delimitation in the jurisprudence of the International Court of Justice . In: Chinese journal of international law . Vol. 9, No. 2, 2010, , pp. 271-291.
- Press release of the International Court of Justice of May 11, 2010 ( Memento of the original of April 29, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF file; 64 kB)
- Press release of the International Court of Justice of June 30, 2010 ( Memento of the original of March 4, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF file; 70 kB)
- Shi Jiuyong . In: Wolfgang Bartke: Who's Who in the People's Republic of China . 3rd edition Munich 1991, ISBN 3-598-10771-4 .
- Biography with picture on the ICJ website (English, French)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Chinese lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 9, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zhejiang , Republic of China|