Shi Jiuyong , Chinese 史久镛( October 9, 1926 in Zhejiang , Republic of China ; † January 18, 2022 in Beijing ) was a Chinese jurist . From 1980 he held various legal and diplomatic positions for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs and was also a professor at various Chinese universities. From February 1994 to May 2010 he was a judge at the International Court of Justice in The Hague .
Shi studied law at Saint John's University in Shanghai , where he earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1948 , and then went to Columbia University in New York , where he graduated in 1951 with a master's degree in international law. This was followed by three years of scientific work at Columbia University.
From 1956 to 1958 Shi was an Assistant Research Fellow at the Institute for International Relations in Beijing , then until 1964 a lecturer at the Beijing Foreign Affairs College. He then worked as a research fellow at the Beijing Institute for International Law until 1973, and from 1973 to 1980 as a research fellow at the Beijing Institute for International Studies. In 1984 he was appointed Professor of International Law at the Foreign Affairs College in Beijing, a position he held until 1993. At the same time, from 1987 to 1988, he was a professor at the Chinese Ministry of Justice's Training Center for Foreign Economic Law.
Shi has served as a legal advisor on a number of occasions, including the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1980 to 1993, the senior Chinese official in the Sino-British Joint Liaison Group from 1985 to 1993, and the Chinese Center of Legal Consultancy from 1989 to 1993. He has also served as part of Chinese delegations at various international conferences and negotiations, including the 1981, 1985, and 1993 meetings of the Asian-African Legal Consultative Committee , 1983 and 1984 consultations with the United States Department of State , and the Negotiations with the US government on an investment protection agreement (1983/84).
From 1987 to 1993 Shi was a member of the International Law Commission , including 1990 as Chairman. In this capacity he represented the International Law Commission at the 45th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (1990) and at the 30th Session of the Asian-African Legal Consultative Conference in Cairo in 1991 .
Shi was a consultant until 2005 and has since been honorary president of the Chinese Society for International Law. He was a member of the American Society for International Law and from 2005 President of the Board of Trustees of the Xiamen Academy of International Law . He was also honorary professor at the College of International Relations (2002), honorary president of the College of International Law, Beijing Foreign Affairs College (2007), and honorary professor at East China University of Political Science and Law , Shanghai (2001).
On February 6, 1994, Shi was appointed judge at the International Court of Justice in The Hague and was confirmed in office in 2003. He was Vice President of the Court from 2000 to 2003 and President from 2003 to 2006. In addition to his judicial office, he also worked as a lecturer at the Hague Academy of International Law . On May 28, 2010, he resigned from his position as a judge. He was succeeded by Xue Hanqin .
- Autonomy of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region . In: Leiden journal of international law . Vol. 11, No. 1, , pp. 63-70.
- The role of the International Court of Justice in the peaceful settlement of international disputes . In: Collected courses of the Xiamen Academy of International Law . Nijhoff, Leiden 2006, , pp. 1–13.
- Maritime delimitation in the jurisprudence of the International Court of Justice . In: Chinese journal of international law . Vol. 9, No. 2, 2010, , pp. 271-291.
- Latest News , icj-cij.org, January 19, 2022
- Press statement of the International Court of Justice of May 11, 2010 ( Memento of April 29, 2012 at the Internet Archive ) (PDF file; 64 kB)
- Press statement of the International Court of Justice of June 30, 2010 ( Memento of March 4, 2016 at the Internet Archive ) (PDF file; 70 kB)
- Shi Jiuyong . In: Wolfgang Bartke: Who's Who in the People's Republic of China . 3rd edition Munich 1991, ISBN 3-598-10771-4 .
- Biography with picture on the ICJ website (English, French)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Chinese lawyer|
|BIRTH DATE||October 9, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Zhejiang , Republic of China|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 18, 2022|
|PLACE OF DEATH||Beijing|