Métropole du Grand Paris and
Grand Paris Seine Ouest
|surface||3.67 km 2|
|Residents||11,453 (January 1, 2017)|
|Population density||3,121 inhabitants / km 2|
sons and daughters of the town
- Arthur de Gobineau (1816–1882), French diplomat and writer
- Boris Vian (1920–1959), French writer, jazz trumpeter, chansonnier, actor and translator
Personalities related to the city
- Augustin Jean Fresnel (1788–1827), French physicist, died in Ville-d'Avray
- Jean-Baptiste Camille Corot (1796–1875), French painter, spent weekends as a child in Ville-d'Avray, where his father had bought a country house. He also liked to visit the place as a painter, as he found motifs for his landscape painting here, especially around the ponds. He also painted four frescoes in the local church.
- Jean Baptiste Édouard Detaille (1848–1912), French battle painter, lived in Ville-d'Avray
- Léon Gambetta (1838–1882), French politician, died in Ville-d'Avray
- Janet Scudder (1869–1940), American sculptor and painter, lived in Ville-d'Avray until the Second World War
- Jean Rostand (1894–1977), French biologist and writer, died in Ville-d'Avray
- Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), American-born violinist and conductor, lived here from 1930 to 1935
- Jean-Louis Petit (* 1937), French conductor, composer, organist and pianist, rector of the Ecole nationale de Musique et de Danse de Ville d'Avray and organizer of the Festival de Musique Française
- Isabelle Huppert (* 1953), French actress, spent her childhood in Ville-d'Avray
- Richard Clayderman (* 1953), French pianist, lived temporarily in Ville-d'Avray
- Mylène Farmer (* 1961), French pop singer born in Canada, grew up in Ville-d'Avray
- The film Les dimanches de Ville d'Avray (Eng. Sundays with Sybill ), directed by Serge Bourguignon (1962), leading role: Hardy Krüger , was nominated for an Oscar in 1964 in the “Music” category ( Maurice Jarre ) .
- The ponds ( étangs ) of Ville d'Avray, which Corot had also painted, are part of France's national heritage. They supply the fountains in the Saint-Cloud castle park with water.
- Le Patrimoine des Communes des Hauts-de-Seine. Flohic Éditions, 2nd edition, Charenton-le-Pont 1993, ISBN 2-908958-95-3 , pp. 414-419.
- Official website of the city (French)