Calendar overview 37
in Misenum , ...
Caligula becomes emperor of
the Roman Empire .
|37 in other calendars|
|Buddhist calendar||580/581 (southern Buddhism); 579/580 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||45th (46th) cycle , year of the fire rooster丁酉 ( at the beginning of the year fire monkey 丙申)|
|Greek calendar||4th year of the 203rd / 1st Year of the 204th Olympiad|
|Jewish calendar||3797/98 (August 30/31)|
|Roman calendar||from urbe condita DCCXC (7) 90|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 347/348 (turn of the year April); Syria: 348/349 (turn of the year October)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||93/94 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- Gnaeus Acerronius Proculus and Gaius Petronius Pontius Nigrinus became full consuls of the Roman Empire . In the course of the year they will be replaced by the suffect consuls Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus and Tiberius Claudius Nero Germanicus , who will in turn be replaced by Aulus Caecina Paetus and Gaius Caninius Rebilus from September.
- March 16 : The Roman Emperor Tiberius dies in Misenum , the exact circumstances of his death are unclear. There are contradicting rumors that he was murdered by Caligula and / or the Praetorian prefect Quintus Naevius Sutorius Macro . The body of the emperor, unpopular with the people, is transported to Rome and cremated there, the ashes are buried in the Augustus mausoleum .
- March 18 : The will of the late Tiberius is declared invalid by the Roman Senate and Caligula is appointed sole Roman emperor . Tiberius Gemellus , chosen by Tiberius in his will to be his successor, is adopted by Caligula. At the turn of the year, however, he is killed on Caligula's orders because he is suspected of having exploited an illness of the emperor to conspire against him.
Date of death secured
Exact date of death unknown
- Albucilla , Roman nobleman
- Lucius Arruntius , Roman Senator (* before 27 BC)
- Marcus Furius Camillus , Roman Senator
- Marbod , Marcomannic king (* around 30 BC )
- Antonia the Younger , daughter of Mark Antony (* 36 BC )
Died at 37
- 37 or 38 : Tiberius Gemellus , Roman politician, designated successor of Tiberius as emperor (* 19 )