Calendar overview 568
|Lombards move from the Balkans to Italy.|
|568 in other calendars|
|Armenian calendar||16/17 (turn of the year July)|
|Buddhist calendar||1111/12 (southern Buddhism); 1110/11 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||54th (55th) cycle|
|Jewish calendar||4328/29 (September 7/8)|
ab urbe condita MCCCXXI (1321)
Diocletian's era : 284/285 (November turn of the year)
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 878/879 (April)
Syria: 879/880 (October)
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||624/625 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- April 2nd : Invasion of the Longobards in northern Italy with probably over 100,000 people, 20,000 Saxons also take part in the procession. Gisulf becomes the first Lombard Duke of Friuli. The home of the Lombards between the Sava and the Danube is taken over by the Avars . The year 568 is therefore often equated with the end of the migration period .
- July / August: The Lombards occupy Veneto largely without a fight ; some residents flee to the Po swamps, which leads to the creation of Venice . By the end of the year, most of the cities in the north-east of Italy, with the exception of Padua and Mantua, are in Lombard hands.
- Victory of the Ceawlin of Wessex over Æthelberht of Kent
- Sigibert I was able to repel an invasion of the Avars into the Franconian Empire again after 562 .
- After 568: After the Avars withdrew to present-day Hungary , the Khazar empire was formed in the area between the Volga and Dnepr Mountains .
- Because of the Lombards incursion into Friuli, Paul I of Aquileia , the Patriarch of Aquileia , fled to Grado .