ascends the throne.
destroys the cities of Pompeii , Herculaneum and Stabiae .
|79 in other calendars|
|Buddhist calendar||622/623 (southern Buddhism); 621/622 (alternative calculation according to Buddha's Parinirvana )|
|Chinese calendar||46th (47th) cycle , year of the earth-hare己卯 ( at the beginning of the year earth-tiger 戊寅)|
|Greek calendar||2nd / 3rd Year of the 214th Olympiad|
|Jewish calendar||3839/40 (September 15/16)|
|Roman calendar||from urbe condita DCCCXXXII (832)|
|Seleucid era||Babylon: 389/390 (turn of the year April); Syria: 390/391 (New Year October)|
|Vikram Sambat (Nepalese Calendar)||135/136 (turn of the year April)|
Politics and world events
- June 24 : Roman Empire : Titus is one day after the death of his father Vespasian the Roman emperor proclaimed.
science and technology
- Pliny the Elder wrote the special encyclopedia Naturalis historia , a comprehensive encyclopedia of the natural sciences as well as geography and art history . It is the oldest fully transmitted systematic encyclopedia of antiquity.
- On the Roman Forum is the Temple of Vespasian and Titus built.
- at 79: After the death of Linus , Anaclet becomes the third bishop of Rome .
When Vesuvius erupts , the Roman cities of Pompeii , Herculaneum , Oplontis and Stabiae are destroyed by a pyroclastic current . With two letters from the Roman writer Pliny the Younger , whose uncle Pliny the Elder was killed in the volcanic eruption , it is the first natural disaster to be documented in detail . In the two letters to the historian Tacitus , Pliny describes numerous details of the eruption: the rise of the eruption column, the precipitation of ash and pumice stones, tremors and the retreat of the sea level. This type of explosive volcanic eruption is now known as the Plinian eruption for this reason . The report allows an exact dating to the year 79, but the date of August 24th derived from it is controversial: Coin analyzes and finds of autumn fruits such as pomegranates, chestnuts, nuts and olives, as well as closed wine containers near Boscoreale, in which must is stored, also leave the Interpretation that the eruption did not occur until autumn.
Date of death secured
Exact date of death unknown
- Titus Clodius Eprius Marcellus , Roman politician
- Drusilla , daughter of King Herod Agrippa (* 38 )
- Ma , Chinese Empress of the Han Dynasty (* 40 )
- Julius Sabinus , anti-emperor in Gaul
Died at 79
- around 79: Aulus Caecina Alienus , Roman general
- around 79: Linus , Bishop of Rome, first successor to Peter