Angels & Airwaves
|Angels & Airwaves|
Angels & Airwaves, April 2012
|Genre (s)||Alternative rock|
|Adam Willard (until 2011)|
|Ryan Sinn (until 2007)|
Singing, rhythm guitar
|Ilan Rubin (from 2011)|
After disputes with the other band members during and after the last tour of blink-182 in Europe because DeLonge canceled the upcoming US tour in order to spend more time with his family, DeLonge finally left blink-182 and founded Angels & Airwaves. In his new band he broke new ground musically and lyrically and considered the first album of the new formation to be "the best music I have ever made".
According to the band, the music genre of Angels & Airwaves is a mixture of U2 , Box Car Racer (in which Tom DeLonge and David Kennedy also played), The Ataris , Coldplay and blink-182. The lyrics are epic and also deal with the subject of war ("The War"). Tom described the music as follows: “ The music feels like you're going to cry but you put your fist in the air and you can conquer the world… ” ( German : “ The music sounds like you're close to tears be, but you put your fist in the air and can conquer the world ... ”) The band is not just about making music, but also about conveying a message to people. Tom DeLonge described his new music project as follows: “ The overall message that's clear on every AVA song is that tomorrow could be the best day of your life. "(German:" The message that can be clearly found in every Angels & Airwaves song is that tomorrow could be the best day of your life. ")
A few months before the release of the debut album We Don't Need to Whisper , the first songs and music videos were published on the Internet, and later you could even listen to the entire album on a website. However, the German fan base had to wait a little longer before the sales start, in Germany it was set on June 30, 2006 instead of May 23, 2006, as in most other countries. The first single from the album was "The Adventure". The associated video was published for the first time on April 7, 2006 by the music broadcaster MTV .
In April 2007 Ryan Sinn left the band because of "other goals and ideas". In his place is now Matt Wachter, who previously played in 30 Seconds to Mars. From January 2007 Angels & Airwaves were back in the studio for their second album I-Empire . The album was released in Germany on November 2, 2007. On June 17, 2008, a documentary about the band was released on DVD under the title Start the Machine .
In January 2009, the four-piece band began recording their third album in the studio. On June 18, 2009 Tom DeLonge announced the name for the new album: Love . The album has been available as a free download on the band's website since February 14, 2010 and was downloaded 500,000 times within 48 hours. The science fiction film of the same name premiered on February 2, 2011 at the 26th annual Santa Barbara International Film Festival. It is to be released together with a continuation of the studio album Love , called Love: Part II . The song Epic Holiday on the album was also used as the score for the German comedy Kokowääh .
On October 4th, 2011 Adam Willard announced that he was leaving the band for reasons unknown so far. On the upcoming album Love: Part Two he can still be heard on drums. On October 20, 2011 it was announced that Ilan Rubin, formerly active with Lostprophets and Nine Inch Nails , will take the place on drums.
On June 24, 2014, the departure of Matt Wachter was announced, who left the band to concentrate on his family. Tom DeLonge stated on Facebook that they are still close friends and that maybe one day Matt will rejoin the band. On July 8, 2014, DeLonge confirmed on his Facebook page that Ed Breckinridge ( Thrice bassist ) was the new bassist. According to Breckenridge, the collaboration only consisted of a video production in 2014, no joint studio or live shows. Afterwards he didn't hear from the band and has been playing with Thrice again since 2015.
In April 2018 DeLonge announced that David Kennedy and Matt Wachter would rejoin the band and work on the new album. A year later, the band signed a contract with the music label Rise Records . On April 30, 2019, the single "Rebel Girl" was released. Shortly afterwards, Wachter was no longer listed as a member of the band, which was not publicly justified. After the first live performance in seven years, the single "Kiss & Tell" was released on August 29 of the same year. In the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States , the band wrote the song "All That's Left Is Love", which was released on April 16, 2020.
The current and former members of Angels & Airwaves are or were all musicians from other well-known groups:
- Tom DeLonge : blink-182 , Box Car Racer
- David Kennedy : Hazen Street , Box Car Racer
- Ilan Rubin : Lostprophets , Nine Inch Nails
- Matthew Wachter : 30 Seconds to Mars
- Adam Willard : Rocket From the Crypt , The Special Goodness , American Hi-Fi , The Offspring , Alkaline Trio , Social Distortion (until 2011)
- Ryan Sinn : The Distillers
- Eddie Breckenridge : Thrice
- Matt Rubano : Taking Back Sunday
- When the band set up their equipment and wanted to test the microphone, DeLonge said: “ We don't need to whisper ” (German: “We don't need to whisper”). The band thought about the phrase and ultimately used it as the album title.
- The “V” in the band's logo is the mathematical symbol for “or” and thus gives the name of DeLonge's daughter Ava .
- The album We Don't Need to Whisper sold over 1.5 million copies.
- The songs Lifeline and Everything's Magic by Angels & Airwaves are featured on the soundtrack for the film Keinohrhasen .
- Angels & Airwaves complete the circle of the two albums We Don't Need to Whisper and I-Empire with the end of the last song “Heaven” on I-Empire . This ends with the familiar melody of the first We Don't Need to Whisper song , “Valkyrie Missile”.
- While the first album We Don't Need to Whisper can be seen briefly in the ninth episode of the sixth season of One Tree Hill , they have a live appearance in the tenth episode.
- The first track from the soundtrack to the film Kokowääh is Epic Holiday from the third and free album Love .
- The song Surrender is one of the official theme songs for WWE Pay-Per-View Wrestlemania 29.
- 2006: We Don't Need to Whisper (May 23, 2006)
- 2007: I-Empire (November 2, 2007)
- 2010: Love (February 14, 2010)
- 2011: Love: Part Two (November 11, 2011)
- 2014: The Dream Walker (December 9, 2014)
- 2012: Stomping the Phantom Brake Pedal (December 18, 2012)
- 2015: ... Of Nightmares (September 4th, 2015)
- 2016: Chasing Shadows (April 4, 2016)
- 2017: We Don't Need to Whisper Acoustic (August 22, 2017)
We don't need to whisper
- 2006: The Adventure (May 8, 2006; July 7, 2006 in Germany)
- 2006: Do It for Me Now (July 10, 2006)
- 2006: It Hurts (Jul 27, 2006, UK)
- 2006: The War (December 15, 2006)
- 2007: Everything's Magic (September 26, 2007)
- 2008: Secret Crowds (February 4, 2008)
- 2008: Breathe
- 2009: Hallucinations (Free Download, December 23, 2009)
Love: Part II
- 2011: Anxiety (August 11, 2011)
- 2011: Surrender (October 21, 2011 in USA)
The Dream Walker
- 2014: Paralyzed (October 7, 2014)
- 2014: The Wolfpack (October 31, 2014)
- 2014: Bullets in the Wind (November 17, 204)
- 2014: Tunnels (December 1, 2014)
- 2019: Rebel Girl (April 30, 2019)
- 2019: Kiss & Tell (August 29, 2019)
- 2020: All That's Left Is Love (April 16, 2020)
- 2006: Star of Bethlehem / True Love (November 13, 2006) (Album Kevin and Bean Christmas )
- 2008: Start the Machine (documentary) (June 17, 2008)
- 2011: Love (movie)
- Official website (English)
- Angels & Airwaves on MusicBrainz (English)
- Angels & Airwaves at Allmusic (English)
- themusicfix.co.uk ( Memento from January 1, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
-  Instagram account Tom DeLonge
-  Twitter account Rise Records
- Angels & Airwaves Release Beach Boys-Inspired Single 'Kiss and Tell' In: Rolling Stone , August 29, 2019
- Angels & Airwaves release their song "All That's Left Is Love" In: morecore. Retrieved May 4, 2020.
- Bass Magazine: Angels & Airwaves Release New Single With Matt Rubano on Bass. Retrieved October 6, 2019 (American English).
- Chart sources: DE AT UK US1 US2